Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The UFC thread.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The UFC thread.

Old 15-10-2008, 09:06   #31
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Services: V + HD V Telephone V Cable 20MB
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age
Re: The UFC thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
I know who my money's on - Lesnar.
Lets have a gentalmens bet then

Good luck.

Shame we have to wait till November.
STONEISLAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 15-10-2008, 09:38   #32
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by STONEISLAND View Post
Is ju-jitsu populer in the UK? Thinking of talking my lad to leassons when he is old enougth.
Not sure how popular Ju-Jitsu is but my eldest has been doing Karate for just over 2 years and it's transformed him. Aside from the obvious self defence and fitness benefits of regular physical training, it's made him far more self confident and he now acts as a Sempai for the lower and equivalent grades.

I'd recommend martial arts to parents who feel their children would benefit but it's vital to find the right instructor/club - some seem to be run very commercially, almost as money making after school child minding clubs whereas others treat the whole thing with the seriousness and professionalism it deserves. Our club takes children from the age of 6 and amongst the younger ones I'd guess the mix is about 20% girls and 80% boys.

Re the Lesnar v Couture bet - How about £10 to charity?
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 09:46   #33
STONEISLAND
Inactive

STONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze ageSTONEISLAND has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Not sure how popular Ju-Jitsu is but my eldest has been doing Karate for just over 2 years and it's transformed him. Aside from the obvious self defence and fitness benefits of regular physical training, it's made him far more self confident and he now acts as a Sempei for the lower grades.

I'd recommend martial arts to parents who feel their children would benefit but it's vital to find the right instructor/club - some seem to be run very commercially, almost as money making after school child minding clubs whereas others treat the whole thing with the seriousness and professionalism it deserves. Our club takes children from the age of 6 and amongst the younger ones I'd guess the mix is about 20% girls and 80% boys.

Re the Lesnar v Couture bet - How about £10 to charity?
My son is 3 in November what age do you think I can start him up at? I was thinking ASAP but not sure if it’s too early.

How do you know if it’s a qualified club? Do they have to have a licence?

£10………………………. That’s big money where I’m from. How would one know you paid it?

Also I feel odds may be on you for the win.
Old 15-10-2008, 09:58   #34
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
My son is 3 in November what age do you think I can start him up at? I was thinking ASAP but not sure if it’s too early.

How do you know if it’s a qualified club? Do they have to have a licence?

£10………………………. That’s big money where I’m from. How would one know you paid it?

Also I feel odds may be on you for the win.
3's a bit young I'd have thought but all good clubs will be registered in some way and properly licenced and affiliated. It might take you quite a while to find a good club local to you but there's nothing to stop you visiting a few to see what you think about the way they operate. Avoid those who go for the 'hard sell' with a bargepole!!!! Also it'd be worth checking out other martial arts to see if you can find something your lad has a genuine affinty for. Those clubs which are really serious about their sport will not allow anyone they think is too young or unsuitable to join. We first made soundings about our club 2 years before joining and our lad has to be licenced annually.

Re the bet - Sorry, didn't mean to be presumptuous. Perhaps a wager is a bad idea. I'm happy to donate the money anyway and if you want to you can stump up whatever you can afford to the charity of your choice. I think we trust eachother either way
Old 15-10-2008, 10:10   #35
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
3's a bit young I'd have thought but all good clubs will be registered in some way and properly licenced. It might take you quite a while to find a good club local to you but there's nothing to stop you visiting a few to see what you think about the way they operate. Avoid those who go for the 'hard sell' with a bargepole!!!! Also it'd be worth checking out other martial arts to see if you can find something your lad has a genuine affinty for. Those clubs which are really serious about their sport will not allow anyone they think is too young or unsuitable to join. We first made soundings about our club 2 years before joining and our lad has to be licenced annually.
Thanks for the advice. I thinck I will wait till he is 4 - 5 then.
Old 15-10-2008, 10:13   #36
zing_deleted

Teach him at home. I taught Bethia self defence from a very early age. I taught her how to punch kick elbow and knee with power and technique. As for the grappling side of it rough house with him so he gets strong but dont hyper extend joints for many years

Ive done many years various martial arts full contact kickboxing and freestyle as well as a sports kung fu and a traditional style kung fu. IME if your child will listen learn and not mess around take him to a sports style of any kung fu, karate or TKD as this will teach him disapline to start and will give me a start on his technique. Move him on to other styles as he gets older but keep him out of full contact till he is an adult.Mixing martial arts to develope your own style is what I always recommend

Ground work is great and works well in UFC but if you are in a street fight and your opponant has his mates around you need to stay on your feet
Old 15-10-2008, 10:41   #37
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Thanks for the advice. I thinck I will wait till he is 4 - 5 then.
If you do decide to do any teaching at home be sure to wear one of these:

http://www.paragonmartialarts.co.uk/...rotection.html

I wear mine all the time, just for effect....
Old 15-10-2008, 11:02   #38
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
If you do decide to do any teaching at home be sure to wear one of these:

http://www.paragonmartialarts.co.uk/...rotection.html

I wear mine all the time, just for effect....

I will not influence my son it hitting anywhere near that pressure point!!

Old 15-10-2008, 11:12   #39
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Meanwhile, back to UFC...

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 11:21   #40
STONEISLAND
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ B View Post
Meanwhile, back to UFC...
Yeah sorry about that!

Come on the Bisping!
Old 18-10-2008, 09:14   #41
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

Took me a while to find it but just to outline Lesnar's strength, the man he's wrestling is 7 feet tall and 35 stone...

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-K30gm2OFhY

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2008, 09:54   #42
Osem
Inactive

I must admit I'm no fan of all that choreographed stuff - skilful as it is. But there's no doubt these guys are incredibly fit, strong and professional. I much prefer to see real contests however and can't wait to see Lesnar in real action again.

One thing does strike me though in UFC, you see quite a lot of take downs in which the attacker drives forward very low and grabs the legs of the opponent. Why don't more fighters use the knee shot as a defence in situations like this?

Ps.

Just to let you all know, Lesnar looks a bit like me when I've let myself go for a bit .....
Old 18-10-2008, 10:01   #43
zing_deleted

Simple answer is because if you miss with the knee you will be off balance taken down harder and be less likely to be able to get a quick floor guard in place
Old 18-10-2008, 10:30   #44
Osem
Inactive

All the more reason not to miss then..

Seriously though, there are lots of moves and strikes which if unsuccessful leave the fighter very vulnerable. I've seen so many take downs of the type described above and never seen a single knee strike defence attempted. I'd wondered if the knee strike to the head might be illegal in UFC but am sure I've seen it used in upright stance.
Old 18-10-2008, 10:34   #45
zing_deleted

its not illegal in what i do