Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Hundreds attend protest after 3 cyclists killed on streets of London in under a week

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs

Hundreds attend protest after 3 cyclists killed on streets of London in under a week

Old 16-02-2017, 16:28   #61
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation
Re: Hundreds attend protest after 3 cyclists killed on streets of London in under a w

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDaddy View Post
Injuries aren't seldom at all

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/public...cle3986796.ece

I'd have thought you'd be very keen to protect other more vulnerable road users, regardless of if their stupid, reckless, thoughtless, irresponsible behaviour causes collisions with cyclists
Fair play, a cracking idea:

Quote:
.....the construction of dedicated facilities to keep cyclists out of conflict with other road users.
Kursk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 16-02-2017, 17:47   #62
papa smurf
vox populi vox dei

Services: every thing
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
papa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny starspapa smurf has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Hundreds attend protest after 3 cyclists killed on streets of London in under a w

.....the construction of dedicated facilities to keep cyclists out of conflict with other road users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Fair play, a cracking idea:

Prison
Old 16-02-2017, 17:57   #63
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
It's possible to hypothesise ad infinitum.

What happens if a pedestrian steps out in front of a cyclist who is simply riding along? Should all pedestrians have insurance too as the potential perpetrator of accidents?

What about the lethal buggy owner who bashes your ankles and causes you to trip? Insurance?

What about wheelchair users? Are they insured? What if when crossing the road they cause an accident because they move less freely than the ambulant?

Do we need to insure all our kids who are the most unpredictable users of just about everything?

Does my neighbour need insurance in case he drops a paint pot on my head when he's up a ladder?

Insurance benefits the money men. Do you want them to be creaming in policy payments for occurences that seldom happen? We don't do things that way in the UK but we'll end up that way if we're stupid enough.

Most people learn to ride at a young age and get parental training in safety (not just for cycling!). It works. Anyone taking up cycling later will know roads are dangerous and it will be part of their decision as to whether they choose to cycle or not.

What is the stopping distance at 50 mph on a wet road and in potentially icy conditions?

No-one reading this post will know the answer because all that theory is forgotten and because all road conditions cannot be predicted (it won't stop some members scurrying off to the highway code to try and find a smartass answer though!). Cycle training is real-time road experience which is why we need other road users to take special care of our safety. Learning a few metronomic hand signalling skills in a classroom won't protect us nor will it make good cyclists out of bad ones.

Protective clothing will protect you if you fall off your motorbike at speed. Protective clothing will not protect a cyclist hit by a car, lorry or van. Especially those little plastic helmets that can cause rotational neck injury; the jury is still out on that one.

Bike MOT - bicycles are simple machines, easily maintained. Do you remember the first time you had a bike for christmas or whatever? Was the occasion ruined because your Dad forgot its MOT, or rider insurance, or its pedal tax, or because he forgot your kevlar body restraint, helmet, gauntlets, shinguards, chest brace and condom? Cycling is supposed to be fun and healthy. We need people to cycle so let's not make it harder.

See above re insurance but, also, did you ever ride someone's else's bike to the shops? Would you have preferred to walk because you didn't have the required insurance? Would you like to miss out on riding in deserted country lanes because you don't have insurance and all the other paraphernalia? All that stuff will discourage cycling and that is crazy.

I know bikes and cars don't mix but I wish someone (and this is not aimed at you) would come up with workable alternatives instead of bleating that "bikes get in my way" all the time. Besides, you ride a motorbike...who most endangers you, cyclists or car drivers? I know the answer to that one: extra training for motorists.

I'm throttling back; ride safe mate!
i understand your points BUT if you look back to when you learnt to ride a motorbike (not sure if you had to go the CBT/MOD1/MOD2 route as i did?) it was about positioning, shoulder checks, life savers, major to minor junctions and minor to major, hazard avoidance etc. ) I see no harm in a cyclist who particularly could be using the bike in an urban high transport volume area spending half a day learning this sort of information. If only to give themselves a better chance against inconsiderate motorists.

I'm struggling (i'm tired!!) to see the difference in terms of speed and danger levels between a cyclist and a 50cc ped rider...... yet ped riders still in most cases have to do at least a CBT

Back to the protective gear thing, to me it's about minimising risk of injury. Taking cars etc out of the equation you still have things like oil/fuel spills which could cause an accident at a not inconsiderate speed.

Yup, cars endanger me most, but thats why we have combat filtering to get our own back

I think the only option is for cycles to be segregated where possible in cycle lanes that are properly maintained (not full of crud as they are now) and for cagers to understand just how exposed people on two wheels are how that be achieved I don't know
Old 16-02-2017, 18:15   #64
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
i understand your points BUT if you look back to when you learnt to ride a motorbike (not sure if you had to go the CBT/MOD1/MOD2 route as i did?) it was about positioning, shoulder checks, life savers, major to minor junctions and minor to major, hazard avoidance etc. ) I see no harm in a cyclist who particularly could be using the bike in an urban high transport volume area spending half a day learning this sort of information. If only to give themselves a better chance against inconsiderate motorists.

I'm struggling (i'm tired!!) to see the difference in terms of speed and danger levels between a cyclist and a 50cc ped rider...... yet ped riders still in most cases have to do at least a CBT

Back to the protective gear thing, to me it's about minimising risk of injury. Taking cars etc out of the equation you still have things like oil/fuel spills which could cause an accident at a not inconsiderate speed.

Yup, cars endanger me most, but thats why we have combat filtering to get our own back

I think the only option is for cycles to be segregated where possible in cycle lanes that are properly maintained (not full of crud as they are now) and for cagers to understand just how exposed people on two wheels are how that be achieved I don't know
I didn't do CBT/MOD1/MOD2 and lived. If people want it fair enough but I do feel it should be optional mainly because I feel some people will be put off ever buying a bike. Mopeds are motorised vehicles, whilst bikes are not.

Protective gear - well, yes there's a balance to be drawn between safety and freedom of movement; there is also the argument that protective gear makes a rider feel safer when they are not really, but feel inclined to take bigger risks. Motorists may also wrongly judge a 'well protected' cyclist can take the odd knock or two. It is already known that motorists exercise less care near cyclists they perceive to be more experienced for example.

Segregation is the answer I agree. But I'm sure someone small, blue and chopsy will have something to say about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa smurf View Post
Prison
Midget.

Last edited by Kursk; 16-02-2017 at 18:26.
Old 16-02-2017, 19:40   #65
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieOHMarie View Post
I actually had to give the police cam footage of a cyclist and car in a accident together. Basically a Skoda car was approaching a junction and a cyclist was approaching the same junction from a different approach.

For some reason the cyclist decided to speed up and approached the junction shouting Oi Oi OI Oiiii and got hit by the car. The cyclist is now in a wheel chair and will never walk again. Yet from my dashcam footage and and witness accounts no one could understand why the cyclist decided to speed up and basically ride into an on coming vehicle. The courts found "inconclusive" and I didn't have to appear in court.

I can never post the footage online, but it literally looks like the cyclist deliberately wanted create a dangerous situation. Had the cyclist maintained their safe and current speed they would still be walking today.

---------- Post added at 18:25 ---------- Previous post was at 18:22 ----------

So should the car driving test be optional? You think training and education would stop people buying a motorbike? Please explain why you think this...
Not sure how old Kursk is but i suspect he/she passed his/her test when it was ride around the block a few times and then do an emergency stop when the examiner jumped out in front of you...

I could be wrong mind.
Old 16-02-2017, 21:27   #66
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
I could be wrong mind.
MarieOHLamebrain has been removed . Troll.
Old 16-02-2017, 21:38   #67
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

The problem is that small and large things sharing the same space = an accident waiting to happen.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:49   #68
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Yes this is why we have pavements, to segregate slow traffic from fast, what we really need is something like that for bicyclists.... Now what could we call it...

hmmm

Oh I know!

A Cycle lane

And to show we're really serious the Govt of the day will spend millions in creating these dedicated bicyclist places for them.

And then we'll make it mandatory for cyclists to use them where they exist - for their safety of course, segregation remember.
---------------------------------------------

Oops we seem to have forgotten to action that last bit.

Bicyclists and lemmings seem to occupy a similar evolutionary niche - ah well Darwin rules supreme there.
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 09:53   #69
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

You only have to visit the pollution riddled gridlock that is Brighton to see where that policy leads. If you halve the road capacity in an already busy city....
Old 17-02-2017, 10:26   #70
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Yes this is why we have pavements, to segregate slow traffic from fast, what we really need is something like that for bicyclists.... Now what could we call it...

hmmm

Oh I know!

A Cycle lane

And to show we're really serious the Govt of the day will spend millions in creating these dedicated bicyclist places for them.

And then we'll make it mandatory for cyclists to use them where they exist - for their safety of course, segregation remember.
---------------------------------------------

Oops we seem to have forgotten to action that last bit.

Bicyclists and lemmings seem to occupy a similar evolutionary niche - ah well Darwin rules supreme there.
And pedestrians should use only their dedicated facilities. Gawd, try to think it through

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
You only have to visit the pollution riddled gridlock that is Brighton to see where that policy leads. If you halve the road capacity in an already busy city....
And there's been record sales of new cars year upon year in the U.K. You do the math.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:05   #71
techguyone
Deus Vult

Services: VM M350 with Superhub4 (modem mode) > Anytime Chatter > No TV
techguyone has reached the bronze age
techguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze agetechguyone has reached the bronze age
Send a message via Yahoo to techguyone

Sorry Pal can't see.

Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-2.png (13.7 KB, 11 views)
techguyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 11:34   #72
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Originally Posted by techguyone View Post
Sorry Pal can't see.
Evidently can't think either
Old 17-02-2017, 11:40   #73
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
And there's been record sales of new cars year upon year in the U.K. You do the math.
But if the solution to the housing crisis is to build more houses why isn't the solution to the traffic crisis to build more road capacity?
Old 17-02-2017, 11:43   #74
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
But if the solution to the housing crisis is to build more houses why isn't the solution to the traffic crisis to build more road capacity?
Tell us about it as they are building thousands of new homes in parts of our county and yet no more infrastructure and capacity to cope with it.
Old 17-02-2017, 11:43   #75
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Quote:
Because a house is a necessity and a car isn't. Also, houses don't continuously pollute.