Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Router

Old 11-02-2017, 12:07   #16
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: Router

So far so good but I feel like a bit of a ming mong atm because I can't find the option for static dns servers or port forwarding.

Edit: found them but it turns out my torrent client is working quite happily without port fording and interestingly there is only one field for dns server entry so lets hope google never breaks

Last edited by General Maximus; 11-02-2017 at 12:22.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2017, 23:13   #17
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post

So far so good but I feel like a bit of a ming mong atm because I can't find the option for static dns servers or port forwarding.

Edit: found them but it turns out my torrent client is working quite happily without port fording and interestingly there is only one field for dns server entry so lets hope google never breaks
Try using the merlin variant of the asus firmware: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

It's what you've got now, but with extra features and bugfixes. This is what I have:

Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 05:09   #18
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

I am loving it. Speed tests are nice to give you a rough idea of how things are going but I prefer real world results. My concern over my old Linksys router was the download speed and it always maxed out around 18MB/sec. I have just downloaded a torrent with my new Asus router and it held steadily at 26.35MB/sec which is ~210mbits so I am delighted. I am curious to see what I get once I have got my ssd in and upgraded to homeworks 300.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 08:44   #19
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

Makes me more happy about my purchase, please keep us updated Maximus.

Mine is still sat in it's box, hoping to get it setup this weekend.
Synthetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2017, 13:04   #20
Kushan

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Glad you guys made the right choices!

Welcome to the dark side
Old 15-02-2017, 14:30   #21
Synthetic
cf.geek

Synthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to allSynthetic is a name known to all

I prefer it over here
Old 15-02-2017, 15:09   #22
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

I have an Asus RT-ac87u, it's golden on HW300. You need CTF enabled for that speed, I have CTF and FA on, so I do lose QoS and traffic monitoring, but it's still a decent bit of kit.

I have a seamless IPv6 tunnel from HE configured on it, VPN clients and servers, and it's even possible to get PiHole and DNScrypt/DNSSEC working on it via SSH. Very flexible hardware.
rtho782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 17:49   #23
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushan View Post
Try using the merlin variant of the asus firmware: https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/

It's what you've got now, but with extra features and bugfixes. This is what I have:

Kush, I can't see on that site either way but will that firmware work on the 1200 I've got?

And i'm guessing that firmware is updated soonish after Asus release theirs?

Finally, there's no missing features from the stock firmware in that one is there?

Considering flashing it straight off if it's going to offer more features etc
Old 16-02-2017, 19:52   #24
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post
Kush, I can't see on that site either way but will that firmware work on the 1200 I've got?

Finally, there's no missing features from the stock firmware in that one is there?

Unfortunately Merlin doesn't support the RT-AC1200.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...support.34103/

Second post down, plus a link to the original thread.
Jon22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2017, 21:33   #25
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

My ASUS RT-AC68U has outlasted both a BT Smarthub 6 and a Virgin Superhub 3. Each time curiosity gets the better of me, I see if ISP routers have improved, and each time I'm disappointed and return to the Asus (putting the ISP routers into modem mode).

It's just rock solid, especially with the Merlin firmware. No downtime, and everything works perfectly on all my various devices. Plus I get really good speeds on both my Android Phone and iPad (for those that want to test their router's wireless speeds I recommend Wi-Fi SweetSpots).

I've tried Netgear and Linksys routers in the past, but I'm sticking with the RT-AC68U for the foreseeable future

Last edited by Pbryanw; 16-02-2017 at 21:40.
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2017, 07:31   #26
Synthetic
cf.geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Unfortunately Merlin doesn't support the RT-AC1200.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/as...support.34103/

Second post down, plus a link to the original thread.
Damn ok thanks, I'll keep an eye on it in case they do support it in the future.

However, all setup last night with the stock firmware and everything is going well (touch wood).

Maxing out my 200/12 on any device I've tried so far, getting much better signal in the back bedroom which is where the superhub failed miserably, even on 5G where the superhub refused to let me connect on 5G previously.

Happy bunny
Old 17-02-2017, 10:03   #27
Kushan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic View Post

Yeah it doesn't look like it, I'm afraid. Maybe in future.

Just as an FYI to anyone else reading this that does have a supported router:

Yes, it's kept very up to date - the guy has contacts at Asus and often gets early builds of the firmware before they're released, so he's on top of things. He tends to fix bugs in Asus' own firmware, so not only is it up to date, from my experience it's more stable (At least when comparing standard Asus features). No missing features from stock, either, it's always stock+more.
Often features get enabled/added that are in the firmware but disabled for whatever reason (Dual WAN comes to mind).

Often Merlin pushes newer/updated packages compared to what Asus uses. OpenVPN comes to mind, where he'll push a newer version before Asus for one reason or another.
Old 17-02-2017, 10:15   #28
rtho782
cf.addict

rtho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nicertho782 is just really nice

+1 for merlin firmware, I wouldn't even consider using the stock firmware as it's very much "Stock+" with only benefits and no drawbacks.
Old 17-02-2017, 10:37   #29
Synthetic
cf.geek

Stock has been fine for me so far, slightly disappointed I can't view traffic amounts and types by client, but that's not a deal breaker.

Hopefully some of that stuff will end up in the stock build at some point, or my model will become supported.

I've found I've had to enable NAT acceleration to get anything over 100Mbps with QoS enabled though, otherwise cpu jumps to 100% (guessing as the web gui is unresponsive while i run the test).
Old 17-02-2017, 10:48   #30
rtho782
cf.addict

NAT acceleration is needed but will make QoS and traffic metering screwy.

I have both CTF and FA on, so QoS is forced off, and I find the traffic meter way underestimates my traffic.