Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 15:14   #3016
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by OF1975 View Post
[ Relatives of Winston Churchill please forgive me for this....]

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight for everyone,
we shall fight on the news sites and blogs
we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in our cause, we shall defend our privacy, whatever the cost may be,
we shall fight in the media,
we shall fight online,
we shall fight in chat rooms,
we shall fight in courts;
we shall never surrender
Churchill's speech was the opening part of Iron Maiden's 1985 world tour (which many believe was their best ever) - "We shall never surrender!" brings to mind "Aces High" for many people *looks for Guitar Hero game*

Think I'll have to write to my bank as well, the staff in the branch don't seem to know anything about Phorm.

201 pages and over 3000 posts here - I doubt whether Phorm and the ISPs ever expected this kind of response.
Advertisement
Old 12-04-2008, 15:48   #3017
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
Churchill's speech was the opening part of Iron Maiden's 1985 world tour (which many believe was their best ever) - "We shall never surrender!" brings to mind "Aces High" for many people *looks for Guitar Hero game*
I never knew that. Learn something new everyday.

Quote:
Think I'll have to write to my bank as well, the staff in the branch don't seem to know anything about Phorm.
Another excellent idea. I may consider doing the same. Although I dont personally do my banking online many others do and its important the issue is raised with the banks for those who DO bank online. Then theres the issue of shopping online too...

Quote:
201 pages and over 3000 posts here - I doubt whether Phorm and the ISPs ever expected this kind of response.
I completely agree. I think they planned on launching this with next to no information for customers and no significant time to evaluate their actions. We would have got the PR spin that this was a security tool to benefit us. Little mention or information on the technical aspects and how they would be intercepting all our data.

They have made many mistakes along the way and we should be grateful for that. Its quite scary to think what would have happened if they had actually got their act together and carried out their plan flawlessly.

That said I really do feel we still have a huge battle on our hands. As one of the commenters on the iii site has already mentioned, the real revenue potential for Phorm is in the US market. Even if we hamstring them here in the UK we wont be able to mortally wound them unless we can defeat them in the US too. Naturally if we can defeat them here in the UK then that will be an important step to defeating them in the US too.
Old 12-04-2008, 16:15   #3018
amateria
Inactive

amateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about them

I have my draft letter ready for banks/credit card companies. It's about 2 sides of A4. Is it OK to copy and past it in - I don't have somewhere to host it.
Old 12-04-2008, 16:19   #3019
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by amateria View Post
I have my draft letter ready for banks/credit card companies. It's about 2 sides of A4. Is it OK to copy and past it in - I don't have somewhere to host it.
If you used the advanced reply or preview your reply, there's an option to attach a text file...
Old 12-04-2008, 16:27   #3020
OF1975
Inactive

OF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enoughOF1975 will become famous soon enough

I know I keep coming back to this but I think its a really important issue. Will someone who goes to the meeting please ask some questions about these "research and debugging logs" that phorm have said they will store for 14 days.

Phorm keeps saying they store no personally identifiable information but they will be storing these logs for up to 14 days and they have not told us what information will be stored in these logs, who will have access to them, precisely where they will be stored or even what "research" may be done with the data.
Old 12-04-2008, 16:35   #3021
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

I'd still like to know why any ISPs who (are foolhardy enough to) implement Phorm will not be allowed to at least monitor if not proactively check the Phorm hardware. Unless the ISP has access to the Phorm hardware for it to be independently monitored then there's no way it can be remotely considered trustworthy.

I'd also like to know what, if any, mechanisms for independent monitoring exist and if not, why not.
Old 12-04-2008, 16:46   #3022
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

I am having a meeting with my MP this coming week about another matter (totally unrelated other than it also involves greed). I thought it would be a good opportunity to try to put together a one-page summary of where we are and what we want our legislators to do, and get her reaction in person. I may also be able to get feedback from one or more of the four MPs who were my contemporaries at university. We could then look at spreading the word further in parliament.

Can people review the page at
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/legislators.htm
and provide me with feedback for accuracy, clarity and impact?

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-04-2008, 17:01   #3023
labougie
Inactive

labougie is an unknown quantity at this point

In paragraph 6 "It's being spun as a benefit" you mention CA without having referred to them by their full name beforehand. Otherwise, brilliant!
Old 12-04-2008, 17:15   #3024
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portly_Giraffe View Post
I am having a meeting with my MP this coming week about another matter (totally unrelated other than it also involves greed). I thought it would be a good opportunity to try to put together a one-page summary of where we are and what we want our legislators to do, and get her reaction in person. I may also be able to get feedback from one or more of the four MPs who were my contemporaries at university. We could then look at spreading the word further in parliament.

Can people review the page at
http://www.inphormationdesk.org/legislators.htm
and provide me with feedback for accuracy, clarity and impact?

Thanks in advance.
Naaaah 1 page summary can't effectively cover this issue. Print out my paper (which will be finished today) and hand that to him

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-04-2008, 17:15   #3025
amateria
Inactive

amateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about themamateria has a spectacular aura about them

Thanks, I think I've attached it: template letter to bank or credit card company
Old 12-04-2008, 17:17   #3026
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Proud moment alert!!!

Just thought I would share a photo we got from the photographer today of my son. the photo was taken as part of a Cute Toddler newspaper competition which is running in May. He is just over 2 yrs old and is almost 4 feet tall you can see the picture here.
Old 12-04-2008, 17:21   #3027
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Naaaah 1 page summary can't effectively cover this issue. Print out my paper (which will be finished today) and hand that to him

Alexander Hanff
But somehow we have to grab their attention ... and they are busy people, lobbied from all sides with all kinds of causes.

The message is a simple one.
- The law is about to be broken - please make sure that it is enforced.
- The law has been broken - please make sure that those responsible are called to account.

Though don't worry, I'll also pass her a printed copy of your paper!
Old 12-04-2008, 17:25   #3028
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Thanks, I think I've attached it: template letter to bank or credit card company
amateria,

Can I respectfully request you look at starting to use Open Office instead of Microsoft Office. That way there are no interoperability issues for people wanting to use your template and you can save it as pdf.

Alexander Hanff
Old 12-04-2008, 17:25   #3029
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Quote:
Excellent - I will be sending one like it.
Old 12-04-2008, 17:40   #3030
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Good letter!

A few observations...

...I don't think the servers in China are confirmed for a fact, therefore, I wouldn't include that bit. I remember Phorm refuting that rumour categorically, so until positive evidence to the contrary emerges then it is just speculation.

...I would tar all the ISPs involved with the same brush. VM may be important to you, but this is likely to affect 70% of the bank's online customers which makes it a much greater concern for them. Name and shame them all.
Closed Thread