Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 22-06-2008, 19:30   #9856
jtechs
Inactive

jtechs is on a distinguished roadjtechs is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Placards

Does anyone know if there are any Wifi services available at the Barbican Centre. I am thinking of taking a laptop for people to be able to sign the petition on the PM site at the protest, but we will need either a Wifi service or a 3G dongle so we can access the PM web site.

Alexander Hanff
I can bring a 3G dongle and a laptop
Advertisement
Old 22-06-2008, 19:31   #9857
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

A new letter

Could people please start writing letters to:

David Davis
32 Main Street,
Willerby,
East Yorkshire, HU10 6BU

Asking him to appear as a guest speaker at the Phorm protest. I have sent a letter off this weekend because trying to get through the email channels was impossible, all emails are merely getting auto-responders due to all the publicity currently surrounding him.

If enough people write to him he will realise that this is a major issue and might then choose to support it and speak at the event.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 19:33   #9858
OldBear
Inactive

OldBear is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are any Wifi services available at the Barbican Centre. I am thinking of taking a laptop for people to be able to sign the petition on the PM site at the protest, but we will need either a Wifi service or a 3G dongle so we can access the PM web site.

Alexander Hanff
Alex,

Just remember people have to confirm their email address before their name is added to the list. You will need to remind all people who you do get to sign to do that when they get home.

OB
Old 22-06-2008, 19:46   #9859
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBear View Post
Alex,

Just remember people have to confirm their email address before their name is added to the list. You will need to remind all people who you do get to sign to do that when they get home.

OB
Yeah I already thought of that. Where possible people will be invited to sign it with their webmail accounts (if they have one) such as gmail, hotmail etc. then they can confirm there at the protest, but it will be explained to everyone that if they don't confirm at the protest they will need to do so when they get home.

Alexander Hanff

---------- Post added at 19:46 ---------- Previous post was at 19:38 ----------

OK we have Laptop and Connectivity sorted (thanks JTechs) so with any luck we should be able to get a significant number of signatures added to the PM Petition on the day which would be a great result.

The laptop will be running a LiveCD which means everything will be stored in RAM not hard drive. We are doing this to reassure people that non of their personal data will be retained as everything will vanish as soon as the laptop is powered down.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 20:10   #9860
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Yeah I already thought of that. Where possible people will be invited to sign it with their webmail accounts (if they have one) such as gmail, hotmail etc. then they can confirm there at the protest, but it will be explained to everyone that if they don't confirm at the protest they will need to do so when they get home.
It could take a while for the email from the no.10 site to arrive, and people may not be too keen to enter their email account's password on someone elses laptop, I think it would be better to explain that they'll get an email from no 10 that they need to click on the link when they get home.
Old 22-06-2008, 20:13   #9861
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudonym View Post
It could take a while for the email from the no.10 site to arrive, and people may not be too keen to enter their email account's password on someone elses laptop, I think it would be better to explain that they'll get an email from no 10 that they need to click on the link when they get home.
Thats why people will be invited to use that option if they wish. All the petitions I have signed on the PM site (several) have sent their confirmation emails very quickly in the past (within seconds) so it should not cause too much of a problem.

As for entering username and passwords, as stated the laptop will be running a LiveCD so nothing will be retained furthermore, all web mail sites I have come across give the option of signing in from a shared computer (which prevents cookies being retained).

Someone will be at the laptop at all times and will be explaining all this to people who want to sign the petition.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 20:42   #9862
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

What do you reckon to this 'Independent on Sunday' news story...

Phorm to use BT customers to test precision advertising system on net

By Sarah Arnott
Friday, 20 June 2008

The first live trial of the controversial Phorm internet advertising system is expected to start imminently with the participation of up to 10,000 BT broadband customers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...et-851133.html

Posted over on digital spy, I have attempted to correct the obvious error.
this has raised the profile of phorm over there again. could anyone with an account there help keep the thread alive?
Old 22-06-2008, 20:48   #9863
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
What do you reckon to this 'Independent on Sunday' news story...

Phorm to use BT customers to test precision advertising system on net

By Sarah Arnott
Friday, 20 June 2008

The first live trial of the controversial Phorm internet advertising system is expected to start imminently with the participation of up to 10,000 BT broadband customers.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...et-851133.html

this has raised the profile of phorm over there again. could anyone with an account there help keep the thread alive?
It is just the same BS that appeared in the Times last week. Trials starting imminently etc. It is pure Phorm PR nothing more and should be treated exactly as that.

Note that was very little information about the privacy concerns and also no inclusion of ICO/Home Office stating the trials MUST be opt-in, any objective reporter would have reported these as they are official statements from both authorities.

So if you are going to comment on the article make sure to raise those points. Also mention that the statement regarding the system being called illegal "earlier in the year" is misleading, the system has been recently declared illegal and continues to be declared illegal. The article gives the context that the concerns have been quashed which is clearly not the case.

Make sure you mention the protest and link to the events section on the NoDPI web site. Also point people to the leaked report on WikiLeaks and link to as many news articles as you can on the issue (it is easy for the The Register they have them in one place, but BBC articles and Guardian articles (Charles Arthur) would be useful too). There is also the Phorm section on Wikipedia to link to, BadPhorm, Dephormation etc etc etc.

Try and get as much information out there as possible. And please add emphasis to the protest, we need to get as many people there as possible. Feel free to include no2dpi at googlemail dot com if people wish to contact me.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 21:11   #9864
Hank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Rizzo View Post
Sarah Arnott in the Independent ...
Where is the PIA?
I have mailed the paper to ask for a correction about the fact that BT is said to be about to start its first trial of the system. First? Third surely!

Yeah... and where is the PIA? Probably fallen into the black hole where that video of the public meeting went! Come on Kent, let it out!

Hank

---------- Post added at 21:11 ---------- Previous post was at 21:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Alexander - on this page: https://nodpi.org/2008/06/18/material-change/

I'm not seeing any content after the banner at the top (I have tried reloading/refreshing - no joy)

Hank
Well I have been away for a few days and what a lot of noise on this thread recently. Thanks for getting on top of it Mods!

Alex and all - I seem to be able to view the full content of the Material Change page on NoDPI now. No idea why it did not work but all ok now. Good page Alexander. Anyone who sees a change to their Ts & Cs does well reading it!

Hank

Old 22-06-2008, 21:17   #9865
pseudonym
Inactive

pseudonym is on a distinguished roadpseudonym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
I have mailed the paper to ask for a correction about the fact that BT is said to be about to start its first trial of the system. First? Third surely!

Yeah... and where is the PIA? Probably fallen into the black hole where that video of the public meeting went! Come on Kent, let it out!

Hank
Technically it is the first trial... of the third version of their system.

Third time lucky perhaps
Old 22-06-2008, 21:21   #9866
Hank

I see the Home Office are late replying to requests under FOI...
http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reques...mation_about_r

To be fair it looks like the original request did not state that it was made referencing the freedom of information act, so the HO may be able to get away with it!

Hank

Old 22-06-2008, 21:44   #9867
OldBear
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by icsys View Post
<snip>
Done! http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/s...1#post24828850

Great post by you BTW.

OB
Old 22-06-2008, 21:49   #9868
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Still need some information about the protest on that thread.

Alexander Hanff
Old 22-06-2008, 21:58   #9869
OldBear
Inactive

Quote:
Still need some information about the protest on that thread.

Alexander Hanff
You old slave-driver, you.

Done!
Old 22-06-2008, 22:01   #9870
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

Quote:
You old slave-driver, you.

Done!
Thanks, saves me having to sign up to yet another site. Seriously I have signed up to so many over the past couple of months any chance I had of privacy are long gone.

Alexander Hanff
Closed Thread