Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Router suggestions

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router suggestions

Old 19-08-2007, 00:00   #1
Mrcon
Permanently Banned

Mrcon is an unknown quantity at this point
Router suggestions

Ok Im planning on getting Virgin media, 20MB next month, I need a good cheap as possible router that can handle 20MB.

Also it needs to be wired and wireless, as I have a laptop wireless connection and a xbox 360 wired connection.

Any suggestions,

Many thanks
Mrcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-08-2007, 00:42   #2
flapjackboy
Inactive

flapjackboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Router suggestions

Linksys WRT54Gx series routers are rock solid performers. Get a GL and flash it with the Tomato 3rd party firmware.
flapjackboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 00:46   #3
Mrcon
Permanently Banned

Mrcon is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry whats tomato 3rd party firmware?
Mrcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 00:52   #4
flapjackboy
Inactive

Tomato firmware

Tomato is a 3rd party replacement for the default Linksys firmware made possible by Linksys having to release their firmware code under the GPL as it was Linux based. 3rd party firmwares are useful because they provide many features that the original firmware doesn't.
Old 19-08-2007, 02:13   #5
Toilet-Duck
cf.addict

Services: VirginMedia 20MB
Toilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enoughToilet-Duck will become famous soon enough

D-Link 655 best router out there (imo) great for gaming, speeds and both at the same time ...

Hasn't needed a reboot since I bought it and plugged it in the most stable router Ive ever used in my life....

SYSTEM UPTIME: 95 Days, 2:37:30
Toilet-Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 07:08   #6
dave.m
cf.addict

dave.m is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll second that recommendation for Tomato. I've had it running on my Linksys wrt54gl for months now and it's just superb. If you go with a Linksys router make sure it's the right one as there have been many under the same model no. wrt54g (get the WRT54GL to be certain). Alternatively, the Buffalo WHR-G54S/WHR-HP-G54 are also excellent choices (HP version has an in built amplifier).

HTH

Dave
dave.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 08:17   #7
Eric55
Inactive

Eric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enoughEric55 will become famous soon enough

The Tomato firmware will only upgrade versions 1 to 4.
Eric55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 09:40   #8
ECW_Original
Permanently Banned

Services: VM landline, XL TV, V+ & Samsung STB, XXXs BB(20Mb running at under 1.5Mb)
ECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric55 View Post
The Tomato firmware will only upgrade versions 1 to 4.
Is there any custom firmware at all that will work on the WRT54GS version 6?

I have tried ALL versions of DD-WT but on upgrading I always get the "upgrade is failed" message and I really want a custom firmware with better & more options than I have at the moment.
ECW_Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 11:09   #9
flapjackboy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECW_Original View Post
Is there any custom firmware at all that will work on the WRT54GS version 6?

I have tried ALL versions of DD-WT but on upgrading I always get the "upgrade is failed" message and I really want a custom firmware with better & more options than I have at the moment.
The version of DD-WRT that works with v5-v6 require you to add a serial port and JTAG to flash the firmware
Old 19-08-2007, 13:55   #10
ECW_Original
Permanently Banned

Services: VM landline, XL TV, V+ & Samsung STB, XXXs BB(20Mb running at under 1.5Mb)
ECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enoughECW_Original will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjackboy View Post
The version of DD-WRT that works with v5-v6 require you to add a serial port and JTAG to flash the firmware
Oh right, I did see that on their website actually, but since it would void the warrenty, I think I will leave well alone, I guess this firmware is OK for me for the time being until something better comes along that I dont have to butcher my router to upgrade to.

Thanks
ECW_Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2007, 13:57   #11
Tezcatlipoca
Inactive

Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars
Tezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny starsTezcatlipoca has a pair of shiny stars

Moved to "Networking"...
Tezcatlipoca is offline   Reply With Quote