Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

Old 01-08-2007, 15:33   #16
mrmistoffelees

Services: Many
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
Re: Netgear Router Slows Down My Broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthlinux View Post
I have tryed all the suggestions but no change I think i might get a linksys or what router u guy recommended
Ok, you could also look at flashing the firmware on the router,

http://kbserver.netgear.com/release_notes/d102798.asp here are the instructions and I have zipped the firmware and attached

WARNING: Follow the instructions VERY carefully, Do not attempt to flash the firmware of your router using a wireless connection !!!!
Old 02-08-2007, 07:41   #17
xspeedyx

Ok I tryed to upgrade the firware and the process doesnt work the file uploads for bout 15 minutes then the connection just times out so I am now stuck
Old 02-08-2007, 09:58   #18
mrmistoffelees

mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze
mrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronzemrmistoffelees is cast in bronze

Quote:
Ok I tryed to upgrade the firware and the process doesnt work the file uploads for bout 15 minutes then the connection just times out so I am now stuck

Perform a hard reset on the router.
Old 02-08-2007, 11:00   #19
xspeedyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
Perform a hard reset on the router.
just need to check how do i do that?

I cna just tell you how i connected the router i had the router connected to the mdoem and then a ethernet connectedion to the port on my pc and then to the wan port on the router is that correct when trying to flash the router?
Old 02-08-2007, 11:05   #20
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
just need to check how do i do that?

I cna just tell you how i connected the router i had the router connected to the mdoem and then a ethernet connectedion to the port on my pc and then to the wan port on the router is that correct when trying to flash the router?

To flash the router

disconnect the router from the cable modem, connect ONLY the PC you are going to use to flash the router via a network cable

Not sure I can understand how you have connected however this is how it should be

Connection from modem to routers wan port

If using wired connection from one of the four port switches to the network card on the PC

Wirless..... etc etc
Old 02-08-2007, 11:28   #21
xspeedyx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmistoffelees View Post
To flash the router

disconnect the router from the cable modem, connect ONLY the PC you are going to use to flash the router via a network cable

Not sure I can understand how you have connected however this is how it should be

Connection from modem to routers wan port

If using wired connection from one of the four port switches to the network card on the PC

Wirless..... etc etc
so let me get this straight I need to switch power on to the router and then connect the cable modem to the ethernet port on pc and leave the router with just the power on is that correct
Old 02-08-2007, 11:33   #22
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
so let me get this straight I need to switch power on to the router and then connect the cable modem to the ethernet port on pc and leave the router with just the power on is that correct
to flash the router do the following

1) Power off the router

2) Disconnect the cable modem from the router

3) The PC that you are going to flash the router MUST be connected via a network lead to the back of the four port switch on the router NOT the WAN port

4) Power on the router

Wait for the router to become ready and then perform the flash

To use in normal operation

1) Power of the cable modem and router

2) Power off the router

3) Connect the cable modem to the WAN port on the router using a network cable

4) If you are using a network cable to connect the PC to the router connect it now

5) Power on the cable modem, wait for it to become ready

6) Power on the router, wait for it to become ready

7) Test
Old 02-08-2007, 11:50   #23
xspeedyx

ok just let me get this wen I am flashing the router i should not have the cable modem pluged in to the router or pc? sorry I saound stupid but I need to make sure i get this correct so its router connected to nic card and thats it
Old 02-08-2007, 12:40   #24
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
ok just let me get this wen I am flashing the router i should not have the cable modem pluged in to the router or pc? sorry I saound stupid but I need to make sure i get this correct so its router connected to nic card and thats it

Correct when flashing the router it should only be connected to the PC
Old 02-08-2007, 13:12   #25
xspeedyx

well mrmistoffelees I gotta say ur a great help and thank u soooo much
Old 02-08-2007, 13:16   #26
mrmistoffelees

Quote:
well mrmistoffelees I gotta say ur a great help and thank u soooo much

No problems, let us know how you get on !
Old 02-08-2007, 19:20   #27
xspeedyx

same again has happened no change the connection just timed out
Old 02-08-2007, 19:30   #28
mrmistoffelees

ok there is a reset button on the back off the back of the router with the power on hold the reset button in for ten seconds and then release it
Old 02-08-2007, 20:12   #29
xspeedyx

no button on the router
Old 02-08-2007, 20:16   #30
mrmistoffelees

is there an indentation where you could put a paperclip ?