Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Replacing old wrt54g

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Replacing old wrt54g

Old 13-06-2012, 17:40   #1
Dougie130
Inactive

Dougie130 is an unknown quantity at this point
Replacing old wrt54g

Hello new to this forum I hope you can help.

I have a couple of WRT54 linksys routers. One is set as my Access point and has 7dbi antennas, the other has DD-WRT firmware on it and is used as a wireless bridge to connect to a foxsat hd (iplayer) and pioneer vsx-921 ( for airplay).

Problems. The signal strenght in the bedroom where my airplay speakers are is poor and sometimes it cuts out when I'm streaming music (two walls and furthest away from the router). I am looking to replace the AP router. I'm using channel 13 as it sames to be the clearest one and WPA-2.

I have tried the DLink DIR-645 and it was useless (I tried all channels and settings I could think of) . It had better though put 10 feet from the router but through two walls and at the farside of the house the Linksys out performed it. Also Airplay rarely worked at all in the desired location. Is wireless g better at distance than wireless n?

So can anyone recommend a router that can give me similar range at wireless n speeds? I was thinking linksy e4200 v2 or Asus Rt n66u. I know both are over kill in terms of features from my needs, but if they give me the range and speed I need then I would consider them.

Thanks for any help.

Dougie
Dougie130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-06-2012, 17:53   #2
thenry
Inactive

thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
thenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny starthenry has a nice shiny star
Re: Replacing old wrt54g

Asus RT-N56U or as you posted, RT-N66U.

or Linksys high end routers as you again state.
thenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 18:50   #3
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

The WRT54G with 7dBi antennas will probably already be breaking the law and anything higher will be even more illegal.

That said, the Netgear WNDR4500 has the highest transmit power of any consumer N router right now, sixteen times higher than the legal limit if you happen to be into that kind of stuff.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2012, 23:38   #4
Dougie130
Inactive

Dougie130 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replys. Does using an upgraded antenna make it illegal? I'm not running dd-wrt on that router so the transmit power is left stock. If so im sorry.

Will have a look at the Netgear WNDR4500, have read its range is very good. Short range performance isn't important I just need a couple of Mbps in those hard to reach places.

Thanks
Dougie130 is offline   Reply With Quote