Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Open Firmware for the Linksys BEFSR ?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Open Firmware for the Linksys BEFSR ?

Old 14-02-2006, 06:54   #1
Simcut
Inactive

Services: 120mbit Virgin Media Cable Sky Digital Package (Sky+)
Simcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about themSimcut has a spectacular aura about them
Smile Open Firmware for the Linksys BEFSR ?

Hiya guys,

I saw Neil mentioned in his "Router recommendation" thread that there is open firmware available for the BEFSRv4+

Where is the best place to find this firmware? Im using the latest firmware from the Linksys website, I would like to look into some of the open firmware though.

Hope someone can help

Cheers
Simcut is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 14-02-2006, 09:07   #2
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Services: 10meg BY Cable
Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them
Send a message via MSN to Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Re: Open Firmware for the Linksys BEFSR ?

I have the BEFSX router and found that the latest firmware is neither the best nor the most stable. I spent hours searching for firmware and finally found a thread on another forum http://www.dslreports.com/forum/rema...flat~start=220 - this relates to my own router, but if you work backwards you should find something relating to your model?

I also found a very helpful user who provided links to old firmware which I have found to be the most stable for my requirements.
Pø†øƒGøLÐ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:42   #3
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

Don't know about the BEFSR41 router, Simcut, but PotofGold, you could try Flogator for BEFSX41 firmware.

Edit: whoops! He's just pointing to the Linksys site, now, as Linksys have officially released the 1.5.9 firmware.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 19:48   #4
UncleBooBoo

This might be of some interest to those who are looking for firmware for various linksys routers: ftp://ftp.linksys.com/international/firmware/
Old 15-02-2006, 21:16   #5
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Pø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about themPø†øƒGøLÐ has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickp
Don't know about the BEFSR41 router, Simcut, but PotofGold, you could try Flogator for BEFSX41 firmware.

Edit: whoops! He's just pointing to the Linksys site, now, as Linksys have officially released the 1.5.9 firmware.
Yeh - it's the Flogator firmware I use... I have two "official Flogator stable" versions which I found thru there
Old 15-02-2006, 21:57   #6
Badders
Inactive

Badders is an unknown quantity at this point

What problems are you having PotofGold?

I've been running with 1.52.9 since it's come out without any issues.

The documented issues are mainly to do with UPnP and IM random disconnects.

As I don't use either of these features I can't comment on them.
Badders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2006, 22:20   #7
homealone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simcut
Hiya guys,

I saw Neil mentioned in his "Router recommendation" thread that there is open firmware available for the BEFSRv4+

Where is the best place to find this firmware? Im using the latest firmware from the Linksys website, I would like to look into some of the open firmware though.

Hope someone can help

Cheers
one problem is that a google on 'BEFSRv4+' doesn't give a result ( there is a name for that which eludes me, at present)

A version 2 BEFSR41 is not capable of '3rd party' firmware, I don't know about the Cisco version 3, though...
Old 15-02-2006, 22:26   #8
Badders
Inactive

I think these are the only official GPL firmwares: http://www.linksys.com/gpl
Old 15-02-2006, 22:58   #9
pigsy1974
Inactive

pigsy1974 is on a distinguished roadpigsy1974 is on a distinguished road

hi guys you can also try this site for all things linksys, very helpful, lots of 3rd party firmware comparisons and reviews.
http://www.linksysinfo.org
pigsy1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2006, 05:46   #10
Pø†øƒGøLÐ
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badders
What problems are you having PotofGold?

I've been running with 1.52.9 since it's come out without any issues.

The documented issues are mainly to do with UPnP and IM random disconnects.

As I don't use either of these features I can't comment on them.
It was the 1.50.18 that I originally had problems with - although it was a while ago and I don't really remember but it was something to do with dropped connections. I then tried the 1.51.00 but ended up reverting to 1.45.7 which I'm happy enough with and see no reason to change.
Old 16-02-2006, 07:01   #11
Badders
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PÃÃ*â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚Â¸ÃƒÆ Ã‚Â¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚Â¬Ãƒâ šÃ‚Â ÃƒÆ’Ã*’Ã‚à ¸Ãƒâ€ Ã¢â‚ ¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢GÃÃ*’ƸLÃÃ*’ 
It was the 1.50.18 that I originally had problems with -
Yes - that sure was a crappy version - I don't understand why Linksys published it when 1.45.7 and 1.51.00 were available. 1.52.9 is worth a try though if you have nothing better to do one evening.
Old 17-02-2006, 00:06   #12
patrickp
Inactive

patrickp has reached the bronze age
patrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze agepatrickp has reached the bronze age

I agree, Badders - I've only just installed the 1.52.9 firmware, but it seems stable and effective so far.
patrickp is offline   Reply With Quote