Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Pirate Bay is blocked

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Pirate Bay is blocked

Old 26-05-2012, 17:48   #691
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
good for them, it is nice to see a company that takes pride in their service to customers and stands up for what they believe in. Love the QR code btw
BT has previously fought against a bunch of other similar legislation as well, including the DEA and various related faff. VM were involved too at one point IIRC.

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:48 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jempalmer View Post
Were TPB supposed to be taking their servers down Sirius? I appreciate that the block is a joke but I was under the impression that they were ordered by the court to dismantle the site.
TPB already had their servers taken down by the police, they just put them back up again.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 26-05-2012, 17:59   #692
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked (Discuss but do not post detail of how to get round it)

There are many other sites with similar content that I'd miss more than TPB, and many sites that are no longer with us that I miss now.

Must admit I don't use TPB, usenet seems to supply me with everything I need.

Cheers

Grim
GrimUpNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 18:06   #693
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
That suit is stupid.

However, if the broadcasters don't get any money from advertising, how will they fund the programme-making?
That's there problem not the maker of this device. As for it breaking copyright it just shows how little it takes for the rights owners to see a paycheck and shout SUE.

---------- Post added at 18:05 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Quote:
Except when they extradite someone...
Which they seem to be able to do any time they wish to

---------- Post added at 18:06 ---------- Previous post was at 18:05 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
There are many other sites with similar content that I'd miss more than TPB, and many sites that are no longer with us that I miss now.

Must admit I don't use TPB, usenet seems to supply me with everything I need.

Cheers

Grim
And you are far safer

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 20:48   #694
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
I'm confused. How does the DISHNetworks vs Verizon/Comcast and all the others lawsuit have any bearing on how things are in the UK?
Because once they get their precedent in one country it ripples through. Do you really not think that if this gets upheld in the US it won't become 'law' in other countries? But the real point is that these people see just about everything as breaking copyright law (hence my joke about making a cuppa during adverts)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milambar View Post
The UK does not follow US law, nor does the US judicial system have any jurdistriction over the UK.
Tell that to Richard O'Dwyer.

This is another good example of copyright law stifling innovation.

As to how content creators get paid for the TV they produce that has always been a problem with new technology and it's up to them to figure it out not get laws changed to protect the business model they alredy have.

Perhaps they should start by looking at wages. Did Charlie Sheen really need to be paid $1,000,000 per episode of Two and a Half Men (TAAHM)? At it's peak, a 30 second advert during an episode of TAAHM would cost advertisers $650,000. So, 8 minutes of adverts during each episode we are talking around $10,000.000. And before I get the obligatory that's the exception let's not forget Hugh Laurie gets $700,000 per episode of House. So Hugh Laurie earned $123,000,000 ( $123 million ) dollars for 8 years work. The sad truth is, it's more than a real person who theoretically actually had the skills of Dr. Gregory House would earn in his/her lifetime and probably a few other lifetimes.
_wtf_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 20:54   #695
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by _wtf_ View Post
This should make what I posted earlier clearer. Hopefully it is a little simpler for people to understand. I do hope people read it and not just try and post some remarks they perceive as clever
Already being discussed here
Old 26-05-2012, 21:02   #696
_wtf_
Inactive

Services: BT Phone & Infinty, FreesatHD, Freeview, LOVEFiLM, NetFlix, Virgin Mobile
_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough_wtf_ will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Already being discussed here
My original post (#657) was posted at 16:42 yesterday and that post at 20:32. Perhaps you should have gone all bold on that post and pointed them to my ORIGINAL post about it
Old 26-05-2012, 21:22   #697
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: The Pirate Bay is blocked

Ive amended the title of this now.

Just so anyone is clear, the rule hasnt changed, but after 700 posts, Im sure everyone has got the message by now, no need for a ridiculously long title.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 21:27   #698
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze

Quote:
That suit is stupid.

However, if the broadcasters don't get any money from advertising, how will they fund the programme-making?
They dont unless they get a tv tax like the bbc or subs like sky.

With the advent of things like IPTV and easy recording via DVR then I think tv advertising has only a downward trend although it will always stay but just be less valuable because the rewards will dwindle.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 22:13   #699
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
My original post (#657) was posted at 16:42 yesterday and that post at 20:32. Perhaps you should have gone all bold on that post and pointed them to my ORIGINAL post about it
Your post was off topic..so how about we return to the topic The Pirate Bay is blocked?
Old 30-05-2012, 10:08   #700
_wtf_
Inactive

This lot are taking this lot to court for copyright infringement. What did they do you ask, they linked to an article about them. As linking is fundamental to the world wide web and would drive traffic to the site being linked to I would say if this became common place the web would simply cease to be.

Meanwhile in other news TPB has simply starting using one of their other IP addresses, apparently they have hundreds. It's pretty obvious that the people who pass these laws not only have no idea how the web works but have also never played whack-a-mole.
Old 30-05-2012, 10:55   #701
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

Quote:
This lot are taking this lot to court for copyright infringement. What did they do you ask, they linked to an article about them. As linking is fundamental to the world wide web and would drive traffic to the site being linked to I would say if this became common place the web would simply cease to be.
And I assume (as you haven't cited a source - an article or a court document for example) that it cannot be quite as black and white as you claim.
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:01   #702
_wtf_
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlwaring View Post
And I assume (as you haven't cited a source - an article or a court document for example) that it cannot be quite as black and white as you claim.
It seems some people don't know how to use Google (it was actualy proven one night).

Link*

* Hint it's the second link down.
Old 30-05-2012, 13:18   #703
carlwaring
Permanently Banned

Services: XL TV, XL Phone, 30mb BB, 1TB Tivo
carlwaring has reached the bronze age
carlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze agecarlwaring has reached the bronze age

1. No-one likes a smart-arse.
2. You could (actually should) have provided a link yourself in your original post. There is no need to make people go specifically looking.
3. That is only their response and not the original letter.

I don't have time now* to go through the whole thing, but “permission to scan clippings for 16 national titles and 90 regional newspapers plus some foreign newspapers” seems, to me, at face value, to be substantially more than them having "linked to an article".

(* I have a live show to do on the local hospital radio station.)
carlwaring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:26   #704
Russ
cf.mega poster

Russ has a golden aura
Russ has a golden auraRuss has a golden auraRuss has a golden aura

The next person to have an attitude problem with other members in this thread goes head-to-head with me - and my frack hammer is BIG.

Vote #AnyoneButTory
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 13:30   #705
_wtf_
Inactive

Quote:
“a licence is required to link directly to an online article even without uploading any of the content directly onto your own website”.*
* Source