Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Pro Olympics/Paralympics 2008 thread (no political comments please)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Sport
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Pro Olympics/Paralympics 2008 thread (no political comments please)

Old 08-08-2008, 10:14   #1
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Pro Olympics/Paralympics 2008 thread (no political comments please)

As the games are less than 3 hours away from the official start (yes I know that the football tournament has already started) I thought I'd open up a thread where everything related to the sports and competitors (Nothing political please)

I know a few of you don't want anything to do with the games so I'm sure that someone will open up a WE HATE THE OLYMPICS THREAD soon but please in the mean time keep this one Pro-Olympics.

ThanX Kymmy
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29   #2
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
Re: Olympics 2008 thread

Tskk. The mods aren't what they used to be ...

You do know we have a search facility don't you?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/88...-olympics.html
Old 08-08-2008, 10:34   #3
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Olympics 2008 thread

I saw it, but as that one had started going down the POLITICAL I won't be watching route I thought I'd open one purely about the sport and competitors.
Have changed the title to be more specific.

Kymmy
Old 08-08-2008, 11:20   #4
RizzyKing

Re: Pro Olympics 2008 thread (no political comments please)

After seeing the news yesterday and the smog that hangs over beijing i just hope the athletes wont be too affected by it. Good luck to them all.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:48   #5
cimt

cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal
cimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appealcimt has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RizzyKing View Post
After seeing the news yesterday and the smog that hangs over beijing i just hope the athletes wont be too affected by it. Good luck to them all.
Apparantly they're closing all the factories and any building that produces the smog during the olympics. Should help them a lot.
cimt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 12:53   #6
Kymmy
Inactive

Thanks whoever moved it, I didn't even know we had a sports section

Now getting back on topic...

I wonder if they'll do some crazy lighting of the flame (like the flaming arrow at I think the LA olympics)??
Old 08-08-2008, 13:34   #7
Tightscot
Inactive

Tightscot has reached the bronze age
Tightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze ageTightscot has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I wonder if they'll do some crazy lighting of the flame (like the flaming arrow at I think the LA olympics)??
That was Barcelona if memory serves...
Tightscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 13:55   #8
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Just watching the opening ceremony and as expected it's hugely impressive, imaginative and moving!! At times it almost resembles the sort of magical special effects in a Kubrick or Speilberg sci-fi epic - not surprising since Speilberg was heavily involved as Artistic Advisor.

This scale of event is just the sort of thing the Chinese are great at and there probably aren't many Health & Safety people around to spoil all the fun either. Their very own version of Liberace's the best too I reckon there must be more people involved in this opening ceremony than the gathered media's entire BBC contingent
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:04   #9
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightscot View Post
That was Barcelona if memory serves...

Correct you are..ThanX

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vyLmkOesOE

Kymmy
Old 08-08-2008, 14:04   #10
Horace
©Beam Software

Services: BB (200mbit), 1x V6, iPad, iPhone
Horace has disabled reputation

Opening ceremony is absolutely amazing (in HD)
Horace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 14:06   #11
Kymmy
Inactive

I loved the lit drum countdown!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 14:18   #12
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
LA had George Jetson:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5qBLoegGz4

Old 08-08-2008, 14:19   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

But he didn't actually light the torch???
Old 08-08-2008, 14:30   #14
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
But he didn't actually light the torch???
Oh no - he didn't do that

That was the least of his concerns...

Previous flame lighters listed here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Flame
Old 08-08-2008, 15:52   #15
Kymmy
Inactive

What about the poor doves in Seoul 1988. Since then the releasing of Doves have been banned at the opening ceremony.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg_weauz1eI