Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 21-02-2015, 19:35   #271
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
Where's the video then???
And have CF's swear filter go into meltdown. Anyway I mustn't pander to Gary's fantasies. Funnily enough I was wearing my kilt.

Quote:
I 'fixed' all 4 of our Velux window pleated blinds this morning by ripping them out and replacing them with Ikea cellular blinds which seem very good indeed. Some trimming of the top/bottom metal rails and blind fabric was required but when you know how...

I also fixed the hose on our Dyson DC25 vacuum cleaner which had split quite badly near the handle. Disassembling the hose was the hardest part then I had to trim a section of the coiled wire and clear PVC type hose material before feeding a new section into the fitting and putting it back together. Job done.
Sometimes replament is the better option.
Advertisement
Old 21-02-2015, 23:02   #272
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
And have CF's swear filter go into meltdown. Anyway I mustn't pander to Gary's fantasies. Funnily enough I was wearing my kilt.

Sometimes replacement is the better option.
Oddly enough my wife keeps saying that....

Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 13:08   #273
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Wonky oven door: The stay on one side seemsed to have lost its spring tension and that was allowing the hinge to float out of the frame. I finally worked out how to release the door and got it dismantled to see what the problem was.

The stay works against a strong spring via a pivit, that same force keeps the hinge hooked into the oven casing. The pivot had broken. I drilled out the hole a bit to be able to thread it for a small bolt, cut the thread "tight" so no nut needed. Needed the use of an old valve spring compressor ( A series ) to get the spring short enough to hook the end of the stay over it.

Reassembled door and then with a bit of heaving snapped the stays and hinges back into the frame. Fixed a treat, hopefully for a while.
Old 17-03-2015, 22:40   #274
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Drained my fuel tank of crappy BP Ultimate and replaced it with VPower+ Reset ECU codes and now back to full boost. Job's a good-un
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2015, 12:31   #275
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Kitchen calculator: It's battery and solar but suddenly stopped working in the shade. Opened it up and checked the battery, that was OK but the holder was a bit corroded. Cleaned it up and a shot of engineers' magic spray and fixed.
Old 29-03-2015, 12:53   #276
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Now how many people would just have just thrown it in the bin and bought a new one?
Old 29-03-2015, 13:13   #277
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post

Now how many people would just have just thrown it in the bin and bought a new one?
Too many. It only cost a couple of quid from Lidl but 5 mins for an easy fix. I hate chucking stuff out anyway if it can be fixed and still be useful.
Old 29-03-2015, 13:40   #278
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

My daughter's XBOX headset, the cable had split .... again.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2015, 19:51   #279
Osem
Inactive

I just fixed the broken zip on the wife's rucksack. It wasn't expensive but she likes it so...
Old 31-03-2015, 08:38   #280
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Fitted shelves in the cupboard where our immersion tank used to be, great to have more storage. Next it's a paint job, kitchen this time.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 19:03   #281
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Checked out six of my solar rock lights, recharged/replaced batteries, cleaned up connections and a shot of engineers' magic spray and out they go. The latest set of 3 only have a 300maHr AA battery. ( Previous ones were 600maHr) Replaced with 1300maHr ones.

Still have six pagoda lamps to check out ( Three fired up when I switched them on) and two more older rocks. Don't know how many will make it. They're getting on a bit and they don't make them to last.
Old 14-04-2015, 19:43   #282
Osem
Inactive

A 20ft section of trellis on one of our fences. The clematis growing along it coupled with age and a dose of woodworm finally saw the trellis I made about 10 years ago off so I've had to replace it with a new one made from treated 35x25mm roof battens.
Old 15-04-2015, 16:45   #283
richard s
Permanently Banned

Services: Tivo XL 150mb broadband L phone
richard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful onerichard s is the helpful one

It had a good run Osem.
richard s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2015, 10:27   #284
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Fixed two more leaks in the washing machine: Ribby pipe from the drum to the pump, loads of splits, applied liberal silicon rubber sealer and some elastic bands. Pump drive shaft seal, replaced as I had a spare bought some time ago when I thought it was leaking but not.

Fixes only need to tame the worst of the leaks until we can get the dosh together for a replacement. It's in a tiled solid floor utility room so a pool of water does no real damage.

Got a hoodie, some odd smalls and a fleece going through now - so far, so good.

Darn!

Pumping out and it's still biblical! Must be somewhere in the exit pipe inside the machine.
Old 19-04-2015, 11:23   #285
Osem
Inactive

You sure it's not leaking where the hose exits the pump?

Have you tried putting a raw egg in on a hot wash to seal any leaks?