Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

What have you fixed lately?

Old 22-07-2014, 16:31   #211
peanut
NUTS !!

peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
peanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny starpeanut has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Fixed my shower by replacing the pressure relief device. Not bad for someone who doesn't have a clue.

What would we do without the internet.....
Old 26-07-2014, 11:13   #212
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

One of our downstairs toilets. The cistern wasn't fitted with an overflow (just a water shut off valve) and has been overflowing onto the floor intermittently so I bought one of these and fixed it.

I must say the ball valve assembly is a very curious and not entirely satisfactory arrangement IMHO.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 12:36   #213
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
One of our downstairs toilets. The cistern wasn't fitted with an overflow (just a water shut off valve) and has been overflowing onto the floor intermittently so I bought one of these and fixed it.

I must say the ball valve assembly is a very curious and not entirely satisfactory arrangement IMHO.
There are many other types of valve these days. A lot of cisterns now "overflow" straight into the bowl, meaning you don't have to have a hole in the wall that allows cold air in during the chilly months.

I have weatherproofed some new solar LED lights by short circuit soldering the switch, soldering the batteries to the connections, then silicon spraying the lot.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2014, 12:43   #214
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
There are many other types of valve these days. A lot of cisterns now "overflow" straight into the bowl, meaning you don't have to have a hole in the wall that allows cold air in during the chilly months.

I have weatherproofed some new solar LED lights by short circuit soldering the switch, soldering the batteries to the connections, then silicon spraying the lot.
Yes I've seen those and think they're a much better idea. Guess the guy who fitted our toilet either forgot to connect the overflow or couldn't be bothered. Anyway it seems to be ok now so now more wet floors I hope.
Old 26-07-2014, 13:32   #215
Taf
cf.mega poster

Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osem View Post
...... so now more wet floors I hope.
Stand closer to the bowl
Old 26-07-2014, 13:34   #216
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taf View Post
Stand closer to the bowl
lol
Old 26-07-2014, 17:24   #217
dilli-theclaw
R.I.P.

Services: BT
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura
dilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden auradilli-theclaw has a golden aura

My filing cabinet drawer - which the metal rail popped off earlier.

Blind woodwork - a new sport
dilli-theclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 23:16   #218
Osem
Inactive

A new venetian blind in Osem Jnr #2's new bedroom. More work to follow to turn it into his own private den.

Also, the rear brake on my mountain bike and a puncture on the wife's. Took me a while to remember how to get the tyre off but the old 2 forks plus tyre lever procedure soon came flooding back.
Old 19-09-2014, 17:30   #219
Osem
Inactive

'Fixed' the 6.4mm laminated glass in my new porch. Finally bit the bullet, measured up, had the stuff cut and did the fitting myself using neutral cure, low modulus silicone. Quite pleased with the results, especially after a great tip I was given to finish the silicone neatly by using a misting spray to moisten the surrounding area before removing the excess silicone. It's like everything though, if I did the job again I'd do quite a few things differently.
Old 20-09-2014, 11:46   #220
ThunderPants73
cf.mega poster

Services: BB & PHONE
ThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond reputeThunderPants73 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd LIKE to fix a dripping hot tap in my Ikea taps. Does anyone know if the cartridges are standard, or specific to each tap design?
ThunderPants73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 15:51   #221
raging bull
cf.geek

Services: Tivo V6 - L TV/XL Phone /200Mb BB
raging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quadsraging bull has a fine set of Quads

So I take it they are 1/4turn taps which have a ceramic face?
I have found taps have standard bottom parts, spindle length can vary slightly for knob/handle. (don't throw any spacers away)
For future make sure water temperature at the tap doesn't go over 60°C as too high a temp kills the washer/ceramic face!
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 16:17   #222
Taf
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderPants73 View Post
I'd LIKE to fix a dripping hot tap in my Ikea taps. Does anyone know if the cartridges are standard, or specific to each tap design?
I have found that if you get ANY failures in IKEA parts they quite often replace for free!
Old 20-09-2014, 16:37   #223
Osem
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by raging bull View Post
So I take it they are 1/4turn taps which have a ceramic face?
I have found taps have standard bottom parts, spindle length can vary slightly for knob/handle. (don't throw any spacers away)
For future make sure water temperature at the tap doesn't go over 60°C as too high a temp kills the washer/ceramic face!
That's a good point. I've been looking for a replacement cartridge for a dripping basin tap in our bathroom and seen plenty which look very similar apart from the spindle. I can't seem to find one exactly the same so may take a chance on swapping out the ceramic discs, spacers etc. but retain the old spindle etc. Will post back if/when I get around to it.
Old 20-09-2014, 18:26   #224
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Fixed my Samsung 22" lcd. Power supply capacitor had popped. 59p to replace

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2014, 18:33   #225
pabscars
Inactive

Services: TiVo, 75 Smeg Broadband
pabscars has reached the bronze age
pabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze agepabscars has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
Fixed my Samsung 22" lcd. Power supply capacitor had popped. 59p to replace
Nice one

Didn't realise you did component level stuff Sirius, could come in handy
pabscars is offline   Reply With Quote