Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 05-05-2015, 17:23   #5686
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Anyone know if sky still have the rights to county cricket and if so how many games a year they have? Can't ever see any on. It's strange too as you'd surely think it'd be a good channel filler for them as they have so many channels!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 05-05-2015, 17:36   #5687
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Anyone know if sky still have the rights to county cricket and if so how many games a year they have? Can't ever see any on. It's strange too as you'd surely think it'd be a good channel filler for them as they have so many channels!
they still got teh rights, no doubt they will show T20 and the one day cup.

as regards to county 4 dayers, they dont show a great deal last tiem apart from battle of the roses but with Sangakarra and Pietersen at Surrey who knows. I think though as we have quite few tests lined up they probably will stick to short formats but lets see
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:25   #5688
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT signs up 266,000 new fibre broadband customers in last quarter.

http://www.theguardian.com/business/...nues-sports-tv
Old 08-05-2015, 18:14   #5689
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Good news for those who were concerned that more players paying for football rights would mean increased costs, and for those who thought that BT would not attempt to protect consumers from the high prices demanded by Sky.

I've always said that more competition was a good thing which would eventually see prices falling. This appears to be the start of the process.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...fta-version-2/
BT Sport to launch “FTA version”

John Petter, head of BT’s consumer division, has revealed that the company plans to launch a FTA version of BT Sport.

Since its launch in August 2013 BT Sport has been free for its broadband subscribers, while other viewers pay £13.50 a month. However, the arrival of the Champions League and Europa League, which is costing the company £897 million over three years, means BT Sport will no longer be free from next season.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, Petter commented: “It will be a very reasonable price. And some games will be free as well. There’ll be a free-to-air version of BT Sport.”

He continued: “Sports that go exclusively pay-TV are not good for the long-term health of any sport because you narrow the base over time. We can bring something here through a model that doesn’t depend on such high subscription fees, that gives the sport access to a very large viewership through free-to-air. This, combined with a low pay threshold, is potentially a good model to adopt for sustainability in the long term.”

Speaking on his perceived success of BT Sport, Petter said: “What we set out to do was give sport back to the people because, relative to other markets, the take up of premium sports in the UK has been low. Around half the five million households that view BT Sport did not watch any premium sport before our entry into the market in 2013. Our proportion of viewers under 25 is noticeably higher than for either Sky Sports or Eurosport. We are now the biggest sports channel in the nation’s pubs and clubs, which were previously being choked by the high prices demanded by Sky.”
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 18:17   #5690
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

So a few games will be free , before the BT deal we had Champions League games on ITV and Europa League on ITV4 so sadly whatever BT offer free will be far less than we have had previous seasons.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 18:19   #5691
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
So a few games will be free , before the BT deal we had Champions League games on ITV and Europa League on ITV4 so sadly whatever BT offer free will be far less than we have had previous seasons.
Summed up perfectly.
Old 08-05-2015, 19:30   #5692
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Yes, but hopefully we won't have to listen to Andy Townsend!!
tassiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 19:50   #5693
telegramsam
telegramsam

Services: Sky Q,Multiscreen, Sky phone line, Sky broadband,Free view.
telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Good news for those who were concerned that more players paying for football rights would mean increased costs, and for those who thought that BT would not attempt to protect consumers from the high prices demanded by Sky.

I've always said that more competition was a good thing which would eventually see prices falling. This appears to be the start of the process.

http://advanced-television.com/2015/...fta-version-2/
BT Sport to launch “FTA version”

John Petter, head of BT’s consumer division, has revealed that the company plans to launch a FTA version of BT Sport.

Since its launch in August 2013 BT Sport has been free for its broadband subscribers, while other viewers pay £13.50 a month. However, the arrival of the Champions League and Europa League, which is costing the company £897 million over three years, means BT Sport will no longer be free from next season.

Speaking to the Evening Standard, Petter commented: “It will be a very reasonable price. And some games will be free as well. There’ll be a free-to-air version of BT Sport.”

He continued: “Sports that go exclusively pay-TV are not good for the long-term health of any sport because you narrow the base over time. We can bring something here through a model that doesn’t depend on such high subscription fees, that gives the sport access to a very large viewership through free-to-air. This, combined with a low pay threshold, is potentially a good model to adopt for sustainability in the long term.”

Speaking on his perceived success of BT Sport, Petter said: “What we set out to do was give sport back to the people because, relative to other markets, the take up of premium sports in the UK has been low. Around half the five million households that view BT Sport did not watch any premium sport before our entry into the market in 2013. Our proportion of viewers under 25 is noticeably higher than for either Sky Sports or Eurosport. We are now the biggest sports channel in the nation’s pubs and clubs, which were previously being choked by the high prices demanded by Sky.”
So will this FTA channel be on Freeview,Freesat and Virgin? And what matches will be shown? Not any games of real interest I guess!
telegramsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:55   #5694
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Spot on sir. Probably be some rubbish games shoved on too!
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 20:28   #5695
telegramsam
telegramsam

telegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant futuretelegramsam has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Spot on sir. Probably be some rubbish games shoved on too!
My thoughts exactly!
Old 16-05-2015, 16:49   #5696
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

has anyone's sky sports season ticket run out yet ? have about 3 weeks to run on mine i think and wondering what the procedure was and if they offered you any deals to keep it on

i see premier sports have picked up the copa america which is rather disappointing
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 17:44   #5697
tassiekev
Inactive

tassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the roughtassiekev is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pengedragon View Post
has anyone's sky sports season ticket run out yet ? have about 3 weeks to run on mine i think and wondering what the procedure was and if they offered you any deals to keep it on

i see premier sports have picked up the copa america which is rather disappointing
Mine's the same. I understood we'd be charged something like £29 pm following the expiration of the season pass. Only for a couple of months in my case as my contract is nearly up, but it will make a hole in the budget!

Sad news about Copa America, I was trying to find Boca v River Plate the other night but it wasn't on any of the regular sports channels. It's not often I watch the Sth American football because of the time difference but it would be nice if it was available. I've got no intention of subscribing to Premier Sports.
tassiekev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2015, 18:15   #5698
pengedragon
cf.addict

Services: Full House, V6, Netflix, Spotify Premium, Sky Go Extra, Eleven Sports, PS4 , 100 meg bb
pengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nicepengedragon is just really nice

i certainly wont be carrying it on at virtually 30 quid a month just to watch a bit of cricket, suspect i'll be finding use for my dad's sky go login again

i'm hoping we get offered a premier sports deal for the duration of the tournament, i would like to watch it
pengedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2015, 14:12   #5699
telegramsam
telegramsam

I imagine Sky will have to offer some sort of deal to keep Sky Sports customers once the Champions League has finished,and the season ticket might just do it for some of us. Was the season ticket offered to BSkyB customers or just Virgin Media? or was it something Virgin did independently of BSkyB?
Old 17-05-2015, 14:15   #5700
denphone
Still alive and fighting

As far as l know it was done independently of BSkyB.