Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Fibreband wireless router

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking

Wireless upgrade - can you help please?

Old 27-02-2012, 11:04   #1
chrispy
Inactive

chrispy is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless upgrade - can you help please?

Hi, I hope the wise people out there can help?

I currently have the Superhub and 30mb connection. I run a Mac and the kids have 3 PC between them. All good.

I am working a lot from home these days and have created an office in the garden, approx 20 or so metres away from the super hub and Broadband connection. I will be running another iMac in the office. Currently, I get no signal in the office at all and I know I need to upgrade this.

Can you please advise which is the best route? Can I still use the superhub effectively even just as a modem? I want to get the best wireless router for the money £120-£130, it would also be handy to add my printer on the network too (although this isnt imperative)

Should I/ would I need to hard wire the new router somewhere nearer the office (obviusly dont want to spoil the connection in the house).

I'd love your input please . . .
THANKS in advance
chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-02-2012, 11:48   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Wireless upgrade - can you help please?

You'll want to add a new wireless access point in or near the office.

Wireless range is limited by law, not by how much the router costs. A more expensive router won't have enough range, nomatter how much you pay for it.

A decent add-on AP costs £20 or less.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:53   #3
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Depending on how you supply power to your office homeplugs could be an option.

http://www.ebuyer.com/263575-tp-link...ck-tl-pa211kit
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 11:53   #4
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Assuming the garden office is on the same electrical circuit as the rest of the house, you could try a homeplug wireless extender. One end gets connected to the router and plugs into the mains. The other end plugs into the main in the office, and provides a wireless signal there. I'm not sure what actual speeds you will get, but the ones I have do provide a solid signal.

Edit: what ^ he said, except the ones I linked to provide a wireless signal as well.
Old 27-02-2012, 12:43   #5
chrispy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
You'll want to add a new wireless access point in or near the office.

Wireless range is limited by law, not by how much the router costs. A more expensive router won't have enough range, nomatter how much you pay for it.

A decent add-on AP costs £20 or less.
Great advice all! Thank you.
Sadly, the office is on a different circuit, although it is kind of connected.

Re the new AP . . . I am a total novice (I'm sure you may have guessed!) but how do I go about sorting this? Is this something I can do myself - i.e. run an ethernet extension? (although I was hoping for a wireless solution) or an extension of the broadband 'input'. Will this need to be done by Virgin?
Thanks again.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:19   #6
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

An ethernet cable would be the best and cheapest solution, but you could do it wirelessly if you really hated cables that much. It'd be slower and harder to set up than a plain ethernet cable.

You would have to do it yourself. Virgin don't support more than one connection per property - and charge you around £100 to move the connection point.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 15:28   #7
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

About a tenner for a ready-made 30m cable. Run it down the garden somewhere where you're least likely to hit it when you're digging. For additional safety and longer life you could run it in something like a length of garden hose terminated each end above ground level and out of the weather.

It'll give you a *much* faster and more reliable connection. That's certainly the way I'd choose.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 15:45   #8
ZrByte
Inactive

ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
ZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appealZrByte has a bronzed appeal
Send a message via MSN to ZrByte

Agreed. Assuming there is already some sort of provision for the mains cabling to the office you may be able to run the ethernet through or at least near to that.
ZrByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 15:55   #9
chrispy
Inactive

I'm thinking Ethernet then! Off to Maplins then . . .

Thanks guys. Appreciate your help
Old 27-02-2012, 16:39   #10
Scrubbs
cf.mega poster

Services: phone,BB20meg ,telly
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal
Scrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appealScrubbs has a bronzed appeal

THIS might come in handy, or something like it?

Old Age And Treachery Will Defeat Youth and Enthusiasm Everytime.
Scrubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 16:54   #11
ShadowTD
Inactive

Services: 200Mb & SH2ac
ShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond reputeShadowTD has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just point out that Homeplugs do not have to be on the same circuit? My shed is on an entirely different spur to the main house ring main and I get excellent performance with my AV200 Mini Devolo's.
ShadowTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 21:45   #12
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrubbs View Post
THIS might come in handy, or something like it?
Even better, and probably cheaper than garden hose. Good find.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote