Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Brexit discussion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Brexit discussion
Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2018, 10:47   #2986
Damien
Remoaner
Cable Forum Team

Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Damien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver blingDamien has a lot of silver bling
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
You have a funny view of Democracy - that's not how I see this thread has gone.

The democracy I see is having a vote and then once a vote has taken place, accepting the result, the backbiting, the negative rubbish, the scare tactics, fear mongering is just a feeble attempt by "some" Remainers to overturn that vote, because they cannot accept they lost.
Democracy allows people who lost a vote to continue to express their opinions and to advocate further change.
Advertisement
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48   #2987
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Sometimes differing views aren't welcome on CF Den
Not sure about that Mr K.

Quote:
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dic.../english/forum
Old 12-06-2018, 10:48   #2988
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Sometimes differing views aren't welcome on CF Den
Where haven't you been able to post your "differing views"?

You have a viable post count with ALL your views laid bare - stop posting baseless accusations like the one above.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:52   #2989
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:

The democracy I see is having a vote and then once a vote has taken place, accepting the result, the backbiting, the negative rubbish, the scare tactics, fear mongering is just a feeble attempt by "some" Remainers to overturn that vote, because they cannot accept they lost.
It's not a football game Mick, we're all on the same side at the end of the day. We all win or we all lose. Let's not Americanise the country with having to have 'winners' and 'losers'.

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
Where haven't you been able to post your "differing views"?

You have a viable post count with ALL your views laid bare - stop posting baseless accusations like the one above.
Very often, the response to a differing view has been abuse Mick. Haven't bothered reporting as thought it pointless on here.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53   #2990
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star
Mick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny starMick has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
Democracy allows people who lost a vote to continue to express their opinions and to advocate further change.
As I said, that's not what is happening - not you personally but "some" Remainers are trying to over turn a democratic decision because they do not like what was voted for.

They are free to not accept the result but trying to overturn it, is not acceptable. That is not what I call Democracy.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54   #2991
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:

l have always accepted democracy as l fully accepted the Brexit vote a long time ago but that does not mean that people should not have a differing opinion on it even if its a opposing view to what someone else's view is as the one thing people should not do is lickspittle to those who supported Brexit be it politicians or the people who voted for Brexit.

Last edited by denphone; 12-06-2018 at 10:57.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:02   #2992
Mick
Cable Forum Team

Quote:

Very often, the response to a differing view has been abuse Mick. Haven't bothered reporting as thought it pointless on here.
Where is the abuse...?

If I sent abuse your way, do you think the other mods would sit back and allow that ?

These are Rhetorical questions by the way.

You always attempt to take the piss out of me by posting humorous exchanges, as if you never quite take anything seriously enough. Everything has to be ridiculed, if it is something you do not absolutely agree with.

I said in another thread you post negative crap a lot, which you do - that is an observation, that is NOT abuse, if you consider that to be abusive - I think you need to get out more.

Anyway - we are not doing this little 'throwing accusations around' session.

Back to the topic.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:32   #2993
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

It may be a surprise to learn that I supported Remain but the last thing I want is the Government to be defeated as a result of House of Lords amendments. The HOL is a totally undemocratic institution and as such should have no place in deciding the Government of this country.

If the Government is to be defeated, it should be through due Parliamentary process in the House of Commons. The HOL is in danger of being Turkeys voting for Christmas.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:46   #2994
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Parliament having a 'meaingful vote' shouldn't be up for discussion. If they have votes that aren't meaningful, they're wasting tax payers money.

Anyway, at least there's one Tory mininster prepared to put the good of the country before his own career and party.
https://www.ft.com/content/47ee37da-...d-d8b934ff5ffa
Quote:
A UK minster has resigned in protest at the government’s handling of Brexit.

Phillip Lee said he was standing down in order to “speak up” for his country.

Writing on Twitter, he said: “I am incredibly sad to have had to announce my resignation as a minister in Her Majesty’s Government so that I can better speak up for my constituents and country over how Brexit is currently being delivered.”

Dr Lee said resigning was a “last resort” that he turned to since “a serious principle is being breached that I would find it hard to live with myself afterwards if I let it pass.”

“If, in the future, I am to look my children in the eye and honestly say that I did my best for them I cannot, in all good conscience, support how our country’s current exit from the EU looks set to be delivered,” he said on Twitter.

The dramatic resignation comes shortly before the UK prime minister faces 48 hours of potentially knife-edge votes in the House of Commons.
Old 12-06-2018, 12:59   #2995
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Give up OB - certain individuals on this forum and there is a few - want to see failure or see every negative thing 10 yards down the road.
Who?

---------- Post added at 12:59 ---------- Previous post was at 11:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
As I said, Andrew, economic forecasts tend not to reflect the reality. They have been wrong time and time again, as the record shows. And yet you treat these forecasts as if they are indisputable proof!

Too many wrong assumptions are made by those trying to work out the likely consequences of Brexit. Most of them seem only to see disaster when actually this is a wonderful opportunity for us.

Given the incorrect assumptions that were made about what would happen to the economy as soon as the electorate voted for Brexit, I'm rather surprised that you are ignoring that in pursuit of your steadfast, unwavering insistence that post 2019, Britain will fall into abject poverty. The rest of the world survives without the EU, as indeed we used to as well.

This dystopian future you foresee is typical of many visions that novellists have when they write their fantasies about what is to come, and the 'end of the world is nigh' brigade seem to attract an uncanny fascination for some folks. Fortunately, history teaches us to ignore these fanciful notions.
The link you provided was found by Hugh not to support your argument so instead you try and move the debate onto something else entirely. Others can judge what that might mean about the absence of evidence to support your original bold statement.

The chances of economic forecasts being more accurate from skilled professionals working for the British Government are far, far higher than those you and I can conjurte up on the back of a fag packet. It is unfair and slightly arrogant to write off the work of an entire bunch of people in the way you attempt to do.

They are not making incorrect assumptions, they are using the wide range of information they ahve at their disposal and have modelled a range of scenarios. All showed that the UK would perform worse outiside the EU.

Now onto your strawman proposition and ramblings of people apparently forecasting a dystopian future. Humourous stuff yet no one is forecasting abject poverty. What is being forecast is that the UK will perform less well than it would do if the status quo remained.
Old 12-06-2018, 15:31   #2996
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
“I am incredibly sad to have had to announce my resignation as a minister in Her Majesty’s Government so that I can better speak up for my constituents and country over how Brexit is currently being delivered.”
Because not being a minister in the Government gives you more clout?

Come off it . . .
Old 12-06-2018, 16:06   #2997
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Come off it . . .
I think he means he wouldn't have to lie about the way he thinks Brexit should be deleivered ..
Old 12-06-2018, 17:07   #2998
Carth
cf.mega poster

Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array
Carth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze arrayCarth has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I think he means he wouldn't have to lie about the way he thinks Brexit should be deleivered ..
But, as a politician, he probably feels ok lying about everything else
Old 12-06-2018, 17:14   #2999
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carth View Post

Come off it . . .
It's like being on a management team. In that situation, you have to spout the management line even if you don't believe it. As soon as you're not, you can be more honest about things.
Old 12-06-2018, 17:35   #3000
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44446632
Quote:
Leave.EU led people up the garden path - Arron Banks

Leave.EU, which was backed by then UKIP leader Nigel Farage, lost out to Vote Leave in the battle to become the official Leave campaign in the 2016 EU referendum.

It ran a "disruptive" campaign instead, Mr Banks told the committee, adding: "We were not above using alternative methods to punch home our message or lead people up the garden path if we had to."

Mr Wigmore, Leave.EU's director of communications, said "the piece of advice that we got, right from the beginning, was remember referendums are not about facts, it's about emotion and you have got to tap into that emotion".

He said the campaign had aimed to "make fun" of journalists and his role in it had been that of an "agent provocateur".

Asked what the difference was between provocation and lies, he said: "If you are trying to sell something or put a good case over to somebody you will tell the best story. If that's provocation - or a lie, if you want to call it that, yeah."
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Closed Thread