Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)
Closed Thread

Old 29-12-2017, 10:40   #46
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin TV (2018)

Have you !!!! I certainly haven't had any difficulty finding it my PVR has picked up returning shows and the many others have been showcased in different sections on my box.

How do we determine what's good and what's not ? Everyone has different tastes.
Advertisement
Old 29-12-2017, 10:49   #47
Ultimate.Conj
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Oomph 600mb, XL TV, Sky Movies & Sports HD, Amazon Prime, Netflix UHD
Ultimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to beholdUltimate.Conj is a splendid one to behold

Good Morning Everyone.

Hope you all had a good Christmas?

From a personal view, I'd like to see some UHD content, not sure in what form it could arrive in though (sports, documentary, drama)...I guess all is asking too much lol

Although with the Winter Olympics coming up, is there any word on Eurosport putting out any UHD coverage?

AMC and Sky Atlantic would be great additions, but apart from that, not sure if there is any other channels worth adding for the sake of a price rise.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:14   #48
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Have you !!!! I certainly haven't had any difficulty finding it my PVR has picked up returning shows and the many others have been showcased in different sections on my box.

How do we determine what's good and what's not ? Everyone has different tastes.
I think that's the thing - different tastes, different outcomes. I think that the new streaming services with their new original dramas have raised expectations. Not long ago, we would have been happy to watch Major Crimes, Criminal Minds and Scandal, but now we demand more. The tired old formulaic stuff is no longer enough.

---------- Post added at 10:14 ---------- Previous post was at 10:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Good Morning Everyone.

From a personal view, I'd like to see some UHD content, not sure in what form it could arrive in though (sports, documentary, drama)...I guess all is asking too much lol

Although with the Winter Olympics coming up, is there any word on Eurosport putting out any UHD coverage?

AMC and Sky Atlantic would be great additions, but apart from that, not sure if there is any other channels worth adding for the sake of a price rise.
I think UHD will start to show itself this coming year on VM. Certainly, I would expect to see the World Cup and the winter Olympics coming through, but on the streamed service, not on a broadcast channel.

I should imagine also that the BBC iPlayer will start to add UHD content later in 2018. Any new dramas and documentaries are most likely to appear in the on demand section, but not as new channels. I am hoping that all new Virgin Exclusives will enable UHD viewing as well.

Having said all this, there have been no formal announcements as yet.

Sky Atlantic will be coming to VM in SD only either in 2018 or 2019. AMC might come in 2019 as well if VM can negotiate such a new deal with BT when the existing BT Sport channels come up for renewal.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:16   #49
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate.Conj View Post
Good Morning Everyone.

Personally I'd just like less crap, don't care about definition. No point in UHD if the content is rubbish. Just look out of the window/go to actual sports events for super definition ...
Old 29-12-2017, 11:36   #50
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Personally I'd just like less crap, don't care about definition. No point in UHD if the content is rubbish. Just look out of the window/go to actual sports events for super definition ...
Definition is important if you have a big screen, though, Mr K! Standard definition on a 55 inch screen is quite bad, actually.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:41   #51
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

I'd say Netflix has some good shows but likewise equally has as much junk as the channels do in fact half their library originates from linear channels.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:43   #52
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Deary me......
So what will cheer you up Max?.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:45   #53
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I'd say Netflix has some good shows but likewise equally has as much junk as the channels do in fact half their library originates from linear channels.
I find there are enough good original series to keep me going on Netflix, with new ones being added all the time.

However, although there is some junk on there, it is a much, much smaller proportion than on pay tv and the broadcast terrestrials. A pretty good mix to appeal to a variety of tastes, I'd say. I don't watch the old TV series on there at all.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:51   #54
denphone
Still alive and fighting

denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I really do think the pay TV channels need to step up. Their demise will be all the quicker if they continue to rely on repeats, old films, tired old dramas and comedies with gallons of dross.

Their demise in your opinion which is quite one eyed and slanted at the best of times..

---------- Post added at 10:47 ---------- Previous post was at 10:45 ----------

Quote:
Compare the offering of all those channels, for which we pay a small fortune, with Netflix at less than a tenner a month. Something is very unbalanced here.

This is precisely why we need a good choice of streaming services on the V6.
There is plenty of rubbish on the streaming services as well OB unless you think otherwise?.

---------- Post added at 10:49 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:
Interesting, thank you!

It would be nice to get Sky Atlantic sooner rather than later, although I thought it may not be until the spring of 2019. I shall be glad to be proved wrong on that.

As for the channel being in SD only - what a bunch of prats Sky are!
Its better then sod all OB.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:49 ----------

Quote:
Agreed here too. As more and more people realise they are being sold short, they will ditch the broadcast channels in favour of streaming services, which give them much more choice and at less cost.
l suspect you might still be saying that when l am as dead as a dodo in about 20 years.
Old 29-12-2017, 11:57   #55
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

Quote:
I find there are enough good original series to keep me going on Netflix, with new ones being added all the time.

However, although there is some junk on there, it is a much, much smaller proportion than on pay tv and the broadcast terrestrials. A pretty good mix to appeal to a variety of tastes, I'd say. I don't watch the old TV series on there at all.
I can only go off PVR use with recordings vs Streaming and in our house PVR viewing still trumps streaming although streaming has increased.

The two shows you mention Criminal Minds and Scandal score 7.8 or better out of 10 on IMDB so clearly they are pretty well liked. You do realise that half the Netflix originals are actually shows from other broadcasters , Netflix generally just calls them originals everywhere other than the broadcasters home country.

Last edited by muppetman11; 29-12-2017 at 12:07.
Old 29-12-2017, 12:06   #56
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Quote:
It is only a matter of time now before all but the most complacent diehards who will watch anything start looking for another alternative. That is when the streaming services will really take off and the financial viability of our pay tv and traditional channels will be at crisis point as they grapple will a huge loss in audience share.
Still quoting from the same chapter and verse l see OB.

---------- Post added at 11:05 ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 ----------

Quote:
I've found plenty of new content to watch across the channels in December.
Plenty of new series links set in our household this December MM.
Old 29-12-2017, 13:50   #57
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Why do people alweays blame SKY for SKY Atlantic?
It was offered at launch to vm including the HD variant at a silly price so vm claim but i'm doubting vm on that.
Also the hd variant will be offered again it'll be down to VM if they take it or not but never mind a price rise is coming in April anyway.
Ooops silly me i might get accused of trolling again now for daring to call vm out for the liars they are.

On a more positive note we have had information that both BBC and ITV will be broadcasting the world cup in UHD, we shall see.
Old 29-12-2017, 15:47   #58
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Their demise in your opinion which is quite one eyed and slanted at the best of times.
There is plenty of rubbish on the streaming services as well OB unless you think otherwise?.
One eyed and slanted? So you have no argument to support your view, then?

You may choose to disbelieve what is going on out there, Den, but much of my prediction in this respect is in line with the industry view.

I didn't say there was no rubbish on Netflix. I said there was a better balance, with a lot of good quality original shows.

---------- Post added at 14:42 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

l suspect you might still be saying that when l am as dead as a dodo in about 20 years.
Well, yet again you are failing to recall that my prediction is for 20 years' time.

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
Why do people alweays blame SKY for SKY Atlantic?
It was offered at launch to vm including the HD variant at a silly price so vm claim but i'm doubting vm on that.
Also the hd variant will be offered again it'll be down to VM if they take it or not but never mind a price rise is coming in April anyway.
Ooops silly me i might get accused of trolling again now for daring to call vm out for the liars they are.

On a more positive note we have had information that both BBC and ITV will be broadcasting the world cup in UHD, we shall see.
I am sure that VM would have taken Sky Atlantic like a shot if it was offered on reasonable terms. I seem to recall, Sky wanted VM to pay for a big proportion of their setting up and production costs, which is not how this normally works.

The fact that we are likely to get the channel in SD only is surely evidence that Sky are seeking to maintain an advantage. Why on Earth would VM want to take a prestige channel like Sky Atlantic in SD only? I have little doubt that this is Sky and their nasty little tricks.
Old 29-12-2017, 15:51   #59
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

I'm growing tired of the stupid bickering between some members in this topic.

Grow up and start acting like adults, or risk spending time on the naughtly step.

Baby, I was born this way.
Old 29-12-2017, 15:53   #60
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
I can only go off PVR use with recordings vs Streaming and in our house PVR viewing still trumps streaming although streaming has increased.

The two shows you mention Criminal Minds and Scandal score 7.8 or better out of 10 on IMDB so clearly they are pretty well liked. You do realise that half the Netflix originals are actually shows from other broadcasters , Netflix generally just calls them originals everywhere other than the broadcasters home country.
I appreciate that Criminal Minds and Scandal are popular. I just used these two programmes as examples of how the higher quality Netflix series are getting us in this household to seek out less formulaic programmes.

As far as I am concerned, Netflix stuff is original if it has not be shown before in this country. In exactly the same way, a 'new series' on broadcast channels does not necessarily indicate that it has not been shown elsewhere on the planet.

The list of stuff I still need to watch on Netflix is amazing. For example:

Jack Taylor
Santa Clarita Diet
Making a Murderer
Beyond
Marco Polo
Bloodline
Continuum
Colony
Spotless
Ozark
The OA
How to get away with Murder
Shooter
13 Reasons Why
Gypsy
Power
3 Per Cent
Queen of the South
The Crown
Mindhunter
Greenleaf
Alias Grace
The Sinner
Star Trek: Discovery
Frontier
Glitch
Stranger Things 2
The Punisher
Godless
Designated Survivor
Travelers....

The list goes on. It would take me years to get a list anything like this from all the broadcast channels put together.

From The Colony onwards, all these are new programmes I have added in the last six months.

Last edited by OLD BOY; 29-12-2017 at 16:05.
Closed Thread