Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | New Windows?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

New Windows?

Old 24-12-2017, 02:26   #16
djfunkdup
NoT 1oF tHe UsUaLSuSpeCtS

Services: Hyper-Optic 1Gig
djfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpackdjfunkdup has a very nice sixpack
Re: New Windows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
no they wont

Agreed ..
djfunkdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-12-2017, 14:29   #17
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave42 View Post
no they wont
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfunkdup View Post
Agreed ..
I agree they are not for now but we all know how fast Micro$oft changes its direction.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonk.../#20cbbebc3184

To Quote from that link

Quote:
The good news is Microsoft has gone on record to say it is not being passed down to consumers at this stage
Could Microsoft eventually introduce Windows 10 monthly subscriptions for consumers? Without doubt, but I would be highly sceptical they would apply to anyone who has already upgraded. That said there is likely to be a threshold in future where Microsoft will draw a line in the sand for the ongoing addition of new features without a fee.
As soon as they stab us in the back with this will be how soon i move. Windows is fast becoming a blotted pile of spyware and adverts and i am sick to the back teeth of it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer

Last edited by Sirius; 24-12-2017 at 14:34.
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2017, 21:34   #18
mart44
Inactive

mart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation eramart44 has entered a golden reputation era

If Microsoft were to start charging for updates at some time in the future, I suppose I would change to Linux. However, I switched to Windows 10 when it was released in July 2015. If it goes on for another 2˝ years without charges for new features/updates (hopefully longer), I'd still have had around 5 years free use of what I reckon is a good OS.

I don't worry about telemetry. I'm one of millions of W.10 home users and would have to think myself pretty important for Microsoft to actually home in on my computer and spy on me in the true sense of the word. I have the opinion that telemetry just feeds back how the OS is used rather than it being pure spying. There have been no detrimental effects to life in general from letting it continue. Nonetheless, for those worried about telemetry, I read there are ways and means of preventing it.
mart44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 10:47   #19
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
If Microsoft were to start charging for updates at some time in the future, I suppose I would change to Linux. However, I switched to Windows 10 when it was released in July 2015. If it goes on for another 2˝ years without charges for new features/updates (hopefully longer), I'd still have had around 5 years free use of what I reckon is a good OS.

I don't worry about telemetry. I'm one of millions of W.10 home users and would have to think myself pretty important for Microsoft to actually home in on my computer and spy on me in the true sense of the word. I have the opinion that telemetry just feeds back how the OS is used rather than it being pure spying. There have been no detrimental effects to life in general from letting it continue. Nonetheless, for those worried about telemetry, I read there are ways and means of preventing it.
This is the first option for me after a clean install

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Quote:
Spybot Anti-Beacon is a standalone tool which was designed to block and stop the various tracking (telemetry) issues present in Windows 10. It has since been modified to block similar tracking functionality in Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems.

Anti-Beacon is small, simple to use, and is provided free of charge. It was created to address the privacy concerns of users of Windows 10 who do not wish to have information about their PC usage sent to Microsoft. Simply clicking “Immunize” on the main screen of Anti-Beacon will immediately disable any known tracking features included by Microsoft in the operating system.
Why Microsoft have to include a keylogger as standard in there software that reports back to them is beyond me.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 13:25   #20
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

DoNotSpy10 is pretty good as well.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 13:34   #21
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
DoNotSpy10 is pretty good as well.
Not as good as Spybot antibeacon. It does an adequate job for most users though.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:13   #22
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Not as good as Spybot antibeacon. It does an adequate job for most users though.
thanks for the heads up - I use Spybot - Search & Destroy, so I will try antibeacon out.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:56   #23
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
thanks for the heads up - I use Spybot - Search & Destroy, so I will try antibeacon out.
Don't forget the advanced options.
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote