Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Upstream congestion

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Upstream congestion

Old 14-01-2018, 17:35   #31
General Maximus
C/O Felix Legion

Services: phone + L TV + 350mbit BB + Sky+HD
General Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze array
General Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze array
Re: Upstream congestion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon22 View Post
Seems as though a few people are hammering the upload at random intervals.
Maybe not, I would look at it as there is finite amount of upstream capacity which keeps everyone going normally during the day but when you get all the children online at the weekend twittering, facebooking, gaming and families streaming Netflix etc etc there just isn't enough juice to go around to sustain full speed. Tbh, because I can get full speed all the time and can achieve what I want to during the day, unless there was something specific I needed to do at a set time on a Saturday evening, it wouldn't bother me at all even if my upstream dropped to 25% (5mbits) as long as it went back to normal a couple of hours later (which yours does).
Old 14-01-2018, 19:15   #32
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

It's more that it affects the latency that is the real concern for me. I'm not too fussed that the upload speed drops, but when it does, the average latency always rises. So anything latency sensitive, gaming etc. is just, well, crap.

Which has got me thinking, do I really need 350Mb? I don't generally tend to download loads, it's nice to have when I need to download a game or another large file but latency is more important to me now. If it is was more consistent then I'd be happy with it, as I have been for the last 10 years, until recently. I could downgrade to say a 100Mb but then I'll be tied into another 12 month contract, which with how the connection is at the moment, I don't particularly wish to do.

A FTTC/VDSL2 connection is looking more appealing at the moment, just for the potentially more consistent latency. But then there'll be the cost of getting out of the current contract with VM, which I don't think has too much longer to run.

Oh and whilst I'm having a mini rant, I did eventually get a reply from the complaints team. Completely ignored what I wrote in the email I sent to the CEO and focused solely on the SNR fault. Which wasn't even present at the time I sent the email.

Last edited by Jon22; 14-01-2018 at 19:19.
Jon22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 19:40   #33
General Maximus
C/O Felix Legion

Services: phone + L TV + 350mbit BB + Sky+HD
General Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze array
General Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze arrayGeneral Maximus has a bronze array

give sky a buzz and see what deal they'll do you for tv and internet.
Old 14-01-2018, 19:42   #34
ozsat
cf.geek

Services: VM V6 TiVo (+MRS) 350/20mb BB, FreeviewHD, SkyQ UHD, FreesatHD, BT TV, DAB, Panasonic 4k/HDR tv
ozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to allozsat is a name known to all

Although they will do a good deal - I think there fastest broadband will be <100Mbps
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
give sky a buzz and see what deal they'll do you for tv and internet.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 19:53   #35
Jon22
cf.addict

Jon22 is on a distinguished roadJon22 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Although they will do a good deal - I think there fastest broadband will be <100Mbps
Yeah, definitely will be. Max that I could get with FTTC is 56Mb supposedly. BT seem to be the cheapest with their Infinity 1, after activation fees etc.
Jon22 is online now   Reply With Quote