Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat dish advice needed

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Freesat dish advice needed

Old 03-09-2009, 22:55   #16
Hiroki
Inactive

Services: SkyHD, Freesat & Virgin Media TV/BB
Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one
Send a message via MSN to Hiroki
Re: Freesat dish advice needed

Thank you Kymmy

We got the dish wired up for £40 in the end and i'm pretty pleased with that. I also found my old analogue box and dish from the loft so I am going to buy a sat finder tonight off ebay and hopefully I will be able to find more instructions on google as to where to point the dish for the German stations - thanks for that tip btw
Hiroki is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-09-2009, 23:03   #17
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

19.2E for Astra 1 that's only 9 degrees west and ever so slightly up (probably half a degree) from where your current dish points..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 23:15   #18
Hiroki
Inactive

Hiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful oneHiroki is the helpful one

Thank you
Old 10-11-2009, 15:02   #19
Hiroki
Inactive

Ah I have been messing around with this for a while now and just want to say thank you to Kymmy as I get a fair few German channels now

Btw I have heard they are switching off the analogue in Germany this year so do you have any idea what I will need to get the free-to-air channels on digital satellite?

Thanks again
Old 10-11-2009, 15:05   #20
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Best thing is to find out who the large german sat providers are, then look up the lyngsat lists as to which sats they use. Point your dish towards the sat then do a scan.. You can check on lyngsat as to which channels have no encryption but probably easier to do the scan and then just work your way through them..

But as far as lnb/dish that should be OK, all you need is an FTA box
Old 10-11-2009, 15:12   #21
Hiroki
Inactive

Thanks again Kymmy. Would any FTA box from Maplins do the trick?
Old 10-11-2009, 15:15   #22
Kymmy
Inactive

Yep, should be OK..

Concerning the LNB I know I said that your analogue one should be OK, but just check it out and it should be a universal LNB, if not you can get them from £5 -£10
Old 10-11-2009, 15:31   #23
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

Quick question seeing this thread is live:

With this dual/quad LNB stuff, I presume you need one coaxial feed per LNB? The reason I ask is that this would mean having to run new cables if I were to move from Freeview to Freesat and run a PVR, something which I'm not too keen on, as the current cable is buried underneath my newly installed hardwood floor...
Old 10-11-2009, 15:41   #24
Hiroki
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Yep, should be OK..

Concerning the LNB I know I said that your analogue one should be OK, but just check it out and it should be a universal LNB, if not you can get them from £5 -£10
Thanks.

I was thinking of just getting a new dish to go with a new box and this one caught my eye so I was wondering what you though:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...24740&source=1 thanks again Kymmy
Old 10-11-2009, 16:00   #25
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielf View Post
Quick question seeing this thread is live:

With this dual/quad LNB stuff, I presume you need one coaxial feed per LNB? The reason I ask is that this would mean having to run new cables if I were to move from Freeview to Freesat and run a PVR, something which I'm not too keen on, as the current cable is buried underneath my newly installed hardwood floor...
Yes correct, each port of the LNB needs a seperate cable, for a freesatpvr a dual lnb will do and you can get dual cables (i.e two cables moudled together (looks a bit like giant speaker cable except each side is a seperate co-ax)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiroki View Post
Thanks.

I was thinking of just getting a new dish to go with a new box and this one caught my eye so I was wondering what you though:- http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...24740&source=1 thanks again Kymmy
It's a nice little system and good to see HD, but you could probably get something cheaper online.. Also remmeber that if you;re looking at european stations then UK might not always be in the right footprint and if possible a 0.9m or a 1.2m dish might be better.

---------- Post added at 15:00 ---------- Previous post was at 14:57 ----------

Also if looking at eurosats then go for a system with DISECQ, that way a disecq motor can easily be added and you have a multi-sat system
Old 10-11-2009, 16:43   #26
Hiroki
Inactive

So a bigger dish and DISECQ is needed. Kymmy is there any chance you know of a decent online store to buy what I need? I'd go into my local satellite shop but im pretty sure they would fleece me.

You have me hooked on messing around with my satellite setup
Old 10-11-2009, 16:47   #27
Kymmy
Inactive

Personally for most of the stuff I'd look on ebay..

One question?? What are you like with linux? Just that what I personally have is a FTA box with a firmware that is linux based on it. Means I have a choice of differnt firmwares which give me lots of different features (for example ethernet streaming (either way), hdd recording, webradio..etc...)

Dreambox, DGStation (relook) and other brands do these..
Old 10-11-2009, 22:46   #28
Hiroki
Inactive

Im actually ok with linux and I am pretty sure I have put software or an image on a drembox before for a member of my family. Might look into them as I know a shop that sells them.

Also might go price up a dish and a DISEqC motor Could I possibly get a setup for less than £200?
Old 10-11-2009, 22:50   #29
Kymmy
Inactive

An SD FTA with DISEQC probably yes, but HD..No..

I'd get the HD FTA (linux based, with PVR) with a largish dish for now, find a good sat and point it there, then later on when you can afford it just install the DISEQC motor..
Old 10-11-2009, 23:04   #30
Hiroki
Inactive

Now just to find a linux based box (as I don't think that one from maplins is any good) and then jump on lyngsat and find where to point my dish for the most German channels.

Thanks again Kymmy