Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Multi analogue channel freeview?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview

Multi analogue channel freeview?

Old 07-10-2008, 19:40   #16
MowerMan42
Inactive

MowerMan42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Multi analogue channel freeview?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Sorry but why can;t you just detune the TV's, wire in a freeview box each (they're only £15 from Asda, Tesco or Sainsburies)

My mother and mother-in-law can use a freeview remote and they're both major technophobes

Thanks for that but....what about the VCRs? And the inevitable "How do I record BBC1 and watch ITV" type questions? And the TV with no SCART connection?

Whatever I do, it has to address ALL these - just to avoid junking perfectly good equipment, AND a major learnng curve.
MowerMan42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2008, 20:30   #17
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Unfortunately the type of system your lookign to implement would probably actually end up costing more than "junking perfectly good equipment"

Also Personally I find Freeview PVR's a Lot easier to work than a VCR.

Maybe Buy them a cheapo freeview box to start with and see how they get on, just try and get them to play around for a bit.
Worst that can happen is they accidently de-tune the Freeview box and even that could be sorted fairly easily
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:17   #18
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

something like this

http://www.satsol.co.uk/ProductDetai...?itemno=C31424
Old 07-10-2008, 21:34   #19
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowerMan42 View Post
Does such a box exist?
No.

The nearest you would get would be something similar to what Iain Hearts has just posted, but that sort of kit is intended for redistributing TV round hotels and will be expensive.

I'm afraid if you want to watch Freeview and only worry about a single remote control, then an integrated Freeview TV is the only practical solution.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 21:40   #20
iain_herts
Ex SKY Engineer

Services: 2x sky+ /sky16Mb/bt phone
iain_herts has reached the bronze age
iain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze ageiain_herts has reached the bronze age
Send a message via MSN to iain_herts

yeap this bit of kit is for commercial use and retails at £499 +VAT there is no other options apart from 5 freeview recivers with a UHF out each box will then have its own out put channel.

eg bbc1 channel 22
bbc2 channel 24
itv channel 26
and so on
Old 07-10-2008, 23:05   #21
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Unfortunately the type of system your lookign to implement would probably actually end up costing more than "junking perfectly good equipment"

Also Personally I find Freeview PVR's a Lot easier to work than a VCR.

Maybe Buy them a cheapo freeview box to start with and see how they get on, just try and get them to play around for a bit.
Worst that can happen is they accidently de-tune the Freeview box and even that could be sorted fairly easily
True, just bought myself a cheap 80Gb twin tunre PVR and totally easier to use than the VCR.... Not bad for £39.99 delivered
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 23:23   #22
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
True, just bought myself a cheap 80Gb twin tunre PVR and totally easier to use than the VCR.... Not bad for £39.99 delivered
They are getting cheaper all the time
Old 08-10-2008, 20:31   #23
kryogenik

Quote:
Kymmy - was that an online deal thing you can share?
No worries if not. I've been considering one myself and our local Netto have some 160GB's in for about £60 but 160GB's way more than I need.
Old 08-10-2008, 20:54   #24
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

www.pvrempire.co.uk

I was gonna buy a digihome PVR80 (currently nearly £80.00 in argos) off them for £39.99 plus £8.00 delivery on ebay but decided to check thier website and got the same box for £39.99 free delivery (ordered Monday got it Wednesday) I presume they save on ebay fees.

It's a 80Gb (nearly 38 hours), twin tuner, Picture in Picture, Timeshift (pause live TV), 7day EPG but it won;t let you record 2 channels at once..but there is firmware on the internet that will allow you to do that at the expense of memory for the EPG... (firmware upgradable via serial cable)

They also do a 160Gb system for about £10 more..

I only bought it as the DVB change meant our ECHOSTAR was useless
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 21:39   #25
kryogenik

Thanks mate.
Old 10-10-2008, 14:28   #26
King Of Fools
Inactive

Services: 2 for £22 (Broadband Size: M and Phone Size: M), Free TV Size: M and fries!
King Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful oneKing Of Fools is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_herts View Post
yeap this bit of kit is for commercial use and retails at £499 +VAT
It is no wonder since it has a NICAM encoder in it!

---------- Post added at 13:28 ---------- Previous post was at 13:26 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iain_herts View Post
there is no other options apart from 5 freeview recivers with a UHF out each box will then have its own out put channel.

eg bbc1 channel 22
bbc2 channel 24
itv channel 26
and so on
You would need a Freeview box that has a UHF pass-through and UHF modulator that can be set to different channel outputs. That way you could daisy-chain the 5 STBs and output 5 individual mono analogue channels.
King Of Fools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 12:55   #27
altis
cf.mega poster

altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star
altis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny staraltis has a nice shiny star

The OP could probably use a series of these:

Only £17.57 each from here:
http://cpc.farnell.com/AV17636/audio...nics-prism-slv

It includes connections for Scart and RF out (which, intriguingly, it labels as RF loop-thru) and the power consumption is a measily 6.2W (active) / 5.5W (standby). User manual, such as it is, available here:
http://www.remote-controls-shop.co.u...splay=file.pdf

If the loop-thru doesn't work then you could use a distribution amp to divide the signal from the aerial to all the tuners and a splitter, wired in reverse, to combine all the outputs.

I'd still be tempted to ditch the VCRs and replace them with PVRs. More channels and more versatile. However, it may be difficult to find one with an RF output.

Some cheap options here:
http://www.tvonics.com/
altis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 20:09   #28
dragon
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by altis View Post
The OP could probably use a series of these:

Only £17.57 each from here:
http://cpc.farnell.com/AV17636/audio...nics-prism-slv

It includes connections for Scart and RF out (which, intriguingly, it labels as RF loop-thru) and the power consumption is a measily 6.2W (active) / 5.5W (standby). User manual, such as it is, available here:
http://www.remote-controls-shop.co.u...splay=file.pdf

If the loop-thru doesn't work then you could use a distribution amp to divide the signal from the aerial to all the tuners and a splitter, wired in reverse, to combine all the outputs.

I'd still be tempted to ditch the VCRs and replace them with PVRs. More channels and more versatile. However, it may be difficult to find one with an RF output.

Some cheap options here:
http://www.tvonics.com/
If its only a loop through then it will only o/p the incoming signal and not modulate it's own O/P onto an RF channel.