Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Confused about routers

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Confused about routers

Old 18-07-2007, 03:57   #1
rosan
Inactive

rosan is an unknown quantity at this point
Confused about routers

Hello

I need some advice on routers and adapters for setting up a wireless home network. I bought a belkin7230 yesterday with a usb adapter, it was a kit package. I had some problems. The easy install wizard wasn't on the install cd so being quite technically minded I set it up manually following the instructions in the pdf manual and managed to get it working on my pc. I set up the adpter on my 2nd pc and after some mucking about with settings I got a connection but couldn't get a signal. I gave up in the end cos nothing I did made any difference to signal strength. I have a laptop aswell and struggled to get a signal on that even sat right next to the router. I have decided to take it back to the shop for a refund.

My problem now is that I don't know what equipment I should be looking for and whether I'm going to have signal problems with other equipment aswell.

I have 2 desktop pc's but they are in different rooms, and the rooms are adjacent to each other. Both these pc's run on windows xp. My laptop runs on vista with all the bells and whistles to get connected to a wireless network. I want to use the laptop downstairs and possibly out in the garden (if we ever get the weather). I'm only really bothered about internet and file sharing.

Searching on the net has confused me as it says 'G' only has a very short range, with 'G+' a slightly wider range and MIMO being one of the farthest ranges. Also I'm now worried about dead spots in the house (a normal 3 bed terrace) and maybe this is why I was getting a poor signal with the belkin.

I don't know which routers and adapters to buy, whether I need MIMO or not or whether I need 54 or 108.

I'm really confused. Can anybody help please?

Many thanks in advance
~Rosan~

ooops - forgot to mention it's usb adpaters i'm looking to use on desktop pc's.
rosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 18-07-2007, 06:11   #2
Paul K
Inactive

Services: Sky HD + 16Mb ADSL BT Telephone
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Paul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered starsPaul K is seeing silvered stars
Re: Confused about routers

Netgear or Linksys rarely go wrong and have good range/ easy set up. We use a Netgear here and regularly have 2 PC hooked wirelessly from the bedrooms without any signal issues even though we are mid-terrace in an area where there are at least 7 other wireless networks close by.
Paul K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 09:19   #3
bucketbakereturn
Inactive

Services: BT, nowhere near 8meg, phone and Sky.
bucketbakereturn is on a distinguished roadbucketbakereturn is on a distinguished road

here's my penneth worth

Linksys i'ved used both cable and now adsl, can't fault, easy to upgrade firmware, nice clean simply config page, a doddle to setup for security, torrents etc.

Netgear i've found to be 'twitchy' to set up and their interface but really thats probably horses for courses.

this to G -> MIMO thing is in part to do with range/speed but also about what u plan to use ur network for. 54G in my experience is grand for range and moving files about but for streaming the MIMO pre N protocol is what i'd go for and will be considering myself in due course as part of a big AV setup.

i live in a normal 70's built semi with a desktop. two laptops (one a Macbook) and my xbox, connected at various times and its all good. Wi fi can be affected by materials ur home is built of, microwaves even DECT phones but generally should operate smoothly regardless.

When u get it put it as high in the home as u can to spread the signal, imagine a ripple in a pond. Set up the proper security protocols on the router and each machine (restart the machine each time) and it'll all be good.
bucketbakereturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 19:32   #4
GeoffW
Inactive

GeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about themGeoffW has a spectacular aura about them

One bit more of info about range of my 54G, you'd expect to get a signal through a house from a wireless router on the ground floor to PC in a diagonally opposite bedroom. In fact you may have the opposite problem, unwanted signals from next door or over the road.
GeoffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 22:21   #5
dragon
Inactive

dragon has reached the bronze age
dragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze agedragon has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffW View Post
One bit more of info about range of my 54G, you'd expect to get a signal through a house from a wireless router on the ground floor to PC in a diagonally opposite bedroom. In fact you may have the opposite problem, unwanted signals from next door or over the road.
Mine can be picked up pretty much anywhere in the house as its in the living room.

Although I stopped using the wireless for my desktop (to much jitter and packetloss for playing games) and used homeplugs instead.

Still use the wireless for the laptops and the other desktop.
dragon is offline   Reply With Quote