Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | i havent a clue

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

i havent a clue

Old 13-07-2007, 11:28   #1
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one
i havent a clue

i am sure by now many of you have sussed that i am not computer literate i aint can someone out there explain to me what a router is ? i have a 250 modem and i dont know if it has a router connection,all i know is that it has 3 cables going into the back of it one of them being a power cable as for the rest of it i havent the foggiest any help will be greatly appreciated
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-07-2007, 11:31   #2
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: i havent a clue

A router is a device that enables you to take the connection from your NTL 250 modem, and share it amongst multiple PCs, printers, game consoles, macs and any other device you might have that needs internet access.

Virgin Media don't supply routers, so unless you have specifically ordered one, you won't have one.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 11:52   #3
Halcyon
Hello !

Services: Sky, AppleTV, Netflix
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

Here you go. This shows you how a router links up several computers so that they can all share the Internet.
You can use either wires or if using a wireless router and wireless devices, be wire free and transmit over the airwaves.
If you buy a router for use with a VirginMedia cable connection, make sure it is cable router and not an ADSL one.

Halcyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:07   #4
handyman
Permanently Banned

Services: M6 Keele
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
handyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny starhandyman has a nice shiny star
Send a message via MSN to handyman

3 cables? Something is wrong there then.
You should have a ethernet OR usb cable and a power cable into the modem.
handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:08   #5
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by handyman View Post
3 cables? Something is wrong there then.
You should have a ethernet OR usb cable and a power cable into the modem.
Power, Ethernet/USB and Cable from the green box outside?
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:10   #6
tweetypie/8
Permanently Banned

Services: vmxl virgin vmbb virgin mobile
tweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful onetweetypie/8 is the helpful one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
A router is a device that enables you to take the connection from your NTL 250 modem, and share it amongst multiple PCs, printers, game consoles, macs and any other device you might have that needs internet access.

Virgin Media don't supply routers, so unless you have specifically ordered one, you won't have one.

thanks stuart c and halycon for educating me,im getting there slowly but surely
tweetypie/8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2007, 12:13   #7
Halcyon
Hello !

Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars
Halcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered starsHalcyon is seeing silvered stars

For connection to a router you will need to use an ethernet cable.
These are cheap to buy and this goes from your cable mdem into the router's Internet port.
All the computers connect to the other ports on the router either by ethernet cable or wirelessly if you have a wireless router and are using wireless devices.

Old 13-07-2007, 12:24   #8
Halcyon
Hello !

Depending on the modem you are using the placing of the ports on the back may be slightly different but as has been said, there will be 3 cables plugged in, one being the link to the Internet connecting you to the outside world, one ethernet port that takes the Internet feed to your router, and then the power port.

Old 13-07-2007, 18:52   #9
Data

One other point, is that all the devices able to, can communicate with each other. All print to one printer. Use each others drives, burner etc. The router will open up possibilities you may not yet have considered.