Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Why is V Stuff even shown as a product

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New To CF and would like help/advice re: Super Hub

Old 06-03-2011, 07:55   #1
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute
New To CF and would like help/advice re: Super Hub

Hi all,

Have been an avid reader of CF for some time now but have finally joined as I have some questions re: the Super Hub.

I have recently upgraded from 10MB to 20MB and as part of the deal was sent a Super Hub. My existing set-up is a SA Webstar modem and the standard Netgear white wireless G router. I've had this set-up for a few years now and it has worked perfectly for 10MB and seems to be doing the same with 20MB as I am getting download speeds of around 19.5MB on Speedtest and a Grade A line with no packet loss and just a little jitter on Pingtest.

I would obviously like to install my Super Hub as obviously it should have better wireless performance being a N router, also it looks nice, would give me a little less clutter and would save on the electric being only one device.

I have read many a post on here that tells of the problems with the Super Hub and some who have advised that it is fine for them. I therefore just wondered what people's opinions were and whether to try the Super Hub or go with the old adage 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' and stick with my existing set-up.

I have been sent the Super Hub as a self install so will retain my existing modem and router so I would imagine if I do try the Super Hub and it doesn't work for me then I am guessing VM could re-activate my old equipment?

Look forward to you help and advice.

Thanks
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 06-03-2011, 08:11   #2
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age
Re: New To CF and would like help/advice re: Super Hub

Personally, I'm all for the aint broke don't fix it line .. balance them against each other .. theres no reason the hub wont work perfectly for you, but if your current setup does the job .. why change it.

As for adding the old modem back, it depends how quick you spot an issue.
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 09:03   #3
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

i agree with the above dude, you are one of the lucky few that hasn been forced to use the superhub so i would count your blessings atm. Unless you have got a wireless n adapter in a laptop or something and you want to take advantage of the speed I seriously wouldn't even consider using the superhub. Even though it is technically possible to go back to your old modem if you have registered the superhub but dont want it, I have heard several peeps saying VM have been quite arsey about it and want you to use the superhub and insist on sending a replacement out etc etc.

I know I am going to be forced to use the superhub when I upgrade to 100mbit and I am dreading it. I want to keep using my current modem + router for as long as poss.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:06   #4
Nopanic
Inactive

Nopanic has reached the bronze age
Nopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze ageNopanic has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
i agree with the above dude, you are one of the lucky few that hasn been forced to use the superhub so i would count your blessings atm. Unless you have got a wireless n adapter in a laptop or something and you want to take advantage of the speed I seriously wouldn't even consider using the superhub. Even though it is technically possible to go back to your old modem if you have registered the superhub but dont want it, I have heard several peeps saying VM have been quite arsey about it and want you to use the superhub and insist on sending a replacement out etc etc.

I know I am going to be forced to use the superhub when I upgrade to 100mbit and I am dreading it. I want to keep using my current modem + router for as long as poss.
What modem do you have ?
Nopanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:10   #5
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Maximus View Post
I have heard several peeps saying VM have been quite arsey about it and want you to use the superhub and insist on sending a replacement out etc etc.
In most cases if you still have the original modem it can be swapped back without any great difficulty in a few minutes if on 20Mb and below.

Now 30Mb would require a downgrade to 20Mb which is a different issue altogether and something technical cannot do.

---------- Post added at 10:10 ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
What modem do you have ?
He is on 50Mb with a VMNG300.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40   #6
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Had mine installed on Wednesday, quite a few problems after the engineer left, most sorted after a reboot. I have an external drive which couldn't connect, but luckily I also have a son who works in IT, sorted.....

The only problem now is I cannot access the wife's e-mail from her wireless connected laptop. It's an old ntlworld address, and I now understand it can't talk to the servers? I've tried all the "fixes" on Virgin help and other forums, but looks like she'll have to change her e-mail address.

So my advice -- Approach with care.
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:47   #7
Superblade7
cf.geek

Services: Sky Q 2TB & Sky Q Mini (Box Sets with Cinema & Sports HD) with VM VIVID 100Mbps Broadband & M Phone
Superblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond reputeSuperblade7 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

In response to General Maximus, I use the wireless for my laptop and PS3 both of which are N capable and the speed would be good.

Masque / Nopanic - as VM staff members can you advise whether the majority of Super Hub users experience a decent service with it? I realise that most people only write on these forums when they have a problem and are seeking help / advice and you rarely get people coming on saying their service is wonderful if they don't have an issue.

If as Masque says it wouldn't be too much of a problem to revert to my old equipment on 20MB, I think I might as well give it a try now its arrived.

I have also read that VM are planning a firmware update to resolve a number of the know issues, Masque/Nopanic - are you able to advise when this is likely to happen?
Superblade7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:08   #8
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superblade7 View Post

Masque / Nopanic - as VM staff members can you advise whether the majority of Super Hub users experience a decent service with it? I realise that most people only write on these forums when they have a problem and are seeking help / advice and you rarely get people coming on saying their service is wonderful if they don't have an issue.
I have had a Superhub installed for over 3 weeks on 30Mb without any issue.

Quote:
If as Masque says it wouldn't be too much of a problem to revert to my old equipment on 20MB, I think I might as well give it a try now its arrived.
As you stil have the modem it is a straightforward swap.

Quote:
I have also read that VM are planning a firmware update to resolve a number of the know issues, Masque/Nopanic - are you able to advise when this is likely to happen?
It is supposed to be tested around April for a release around May/June probably.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 11:13   #9
Traduk
Inactive

Traduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of QuadsTraduk has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazed&confused View Post
Had mine installed on Wednesday, quite a few problems after the engineer left, most sorted after a reboot. I have an external drive which couldn't connect, but luckily I also have a son who works in IT, sorted.....

The only problem now is I cannot access the wife's e-mail from her wireless connected laptop. It's an old ntlworld address, and I now understand it can't talk to the servers? I've tried all the "fixes" on Virgin help and other forums, but looks like she'll have to change her e-mail address.

So my advice -- Approach with care.
I had no problems with e-mail to the old ntlworld.com address but did have major problems with a new virginmedia.com e-mail I created for my wife's laptop. It had nothing to do with the Superhub and arguably nothing to do with Thunderbird but more to do with virginmedia's default settings.

The first requirement that is required is that you can access the account via a browser as no access via that route will thwart everything. Access is via "my virginmedia" or whatever it is called.

The default within the advanced settings is they switch on Pop3 and IMAP . Having both settings throws Thunderbird into total confusion as it just sits in an endless loop not knowing what to do. Uncheck IMAP and Thunderbird is happy with just Pop3 and just polls as normal and leaves with what it requires.

The first check is via browser because failure at that point is down to VM but beyond that settings can throw mail clients,

I am no fan of the Superhub but the only real problems I see are the forced use of VM's DNS servers and the totally pathetic wireless range. When bridge mode becomes available I will be looking to bypass the inbuilt router and putting a router of quality on the back end of a Superhub which I hope will become a standalone modem.
Traduk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:49   #10
dazed&confused
Inactive

Services: VIP Collection + TIVo Additional Tivo
dazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond reputedazed&confused has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your help Traduk.
Can access web mail on her account - no problem
Tried all settings but can't access via Thunderbird
dazed&confused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 13:00   #11
Arty-Media
Inactive

Services: M Phone & 30XL BB
Arty-Media is on a distinguished roadArty-Media is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thanks for the replies so far guys.

In response to General Maximus, I use the wireless for my laptop and PS3 both of which are N capable and the speed would be good.

sorry to burst your bubble but the PS3 is wireless G only, even the PS3 slim only has 54G wireless on it :-)
Arty-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 13:20   #12
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have recently upgraded from 10MB to 20MB and as part of the deal was sent a Super Hub. My existing set-up is a SA Webstar modem and the standard Netgear white wireless G router. I've had this set-up for a few years now and it has worked perfectly for 10MB and seems to be doing the same with 20MB as I am getting download speeds of around 19.5MB on Speedtest and a Grade A line with no packet loss and just a little jitter on Pingtest.
Leave your seperate setup. If it handles 20Mb broadband reliably, don't change it.

Quote:
[Super Hub] should have better wireless performance being a N router, also it looks nice, would give me a little less clutter and would save on the electric being only one device.
You'd think so wouldn't you? Actually I found the wireless performance terrible (unreliable plus poor range especially for an N device), the case a magnet for fingerprints and actually drawing more current than seperate modem and first router. I did the 10Mb to 20Mb upgrade and got one, and so far it's major suckage.

Quote:
I have been sent the Super Hub as a self install so will retain my existing modem and router so I would imagine if I do try the Super Hub and it doesn't work for me then I am guessing VM could re-activate my old equipment
Yeah, but as some folk on here have said VM can be reticent to do it so you might have to go through to Retentions. My advice is, save yourself the hassle and wait a few more months to have the Super Hub installed on your network, so you can (hopefully) put it into modem only configuration and not worry about it being such a shoddy, underfeatured router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masque View Post
He is on 50Mb with a VMNG300.
AKA "The Grail", at least for now.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 16:43   #13
pip08456
Sad Doig Fan!

Services: With VM for BB 250Mb service.(Deal)
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star
pip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny starpip08456 has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekeisaszekedoes View Post

AKA "The Grail", at least for now.
Certainly is. 3 Months uptime(no need to reset) and counting!
pip08456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 17:38   #14
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nopanic View Post
What modem do you have ?
The swank blank one with blue leds that I had to pay for when 50mbit first rolled out. I would keep defo keep it if I had the option, I havent had any probs with it whatsoever.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 16:20   #15
zekeisaszekedoes
Permanently Banned

Services: 30Mb Broadband (XL), 2TB TiVo (M+), Samsung Galaxy Ace (M), POTS Landline (M).
zekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond reputezekeisaszekedoes has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pip08456 View Post
Certainly is. 3 Months uptime(no need to reset) and counting!
That's exactly why I want one running on my network. Even after bridge mode I get the feeling it'll still be much more reliable.
zekeisaszekedoes is offline   Reply With Quote