Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Best Tablets

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > General IT Discussion

Microsoft fix bricks some AMD PCs

Old 08-01-2018, 18:40   #1
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Exclamation Microsoft fix bricks some AMD PCs

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/0...d_powered_pcs/
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2018, 19:24   #2
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Microsoft fix bricks some AMD PCs

'Bricked' is probably the wrong word in the article as it is sometimes causing boot up issues from what i understand.

I patched my Intel yesterday with the Kaisen Patch for Meltdown, just hope my smart phone and tablet gets a patch as it is old!
Old 08-01-2018, 19:29   #3
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I have updates block on my windows 10 machine until i see that Microsoft have not messed up. When i have seen that the patch does not mess up Intel based windows machines then i will let it update. As Microsoft have a track record of issuing messed up patches they can go forth in short jerky moments for now.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/
Sirius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 20:10   #4
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars
SnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny starsSnoopZ has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
I have updates block on my windows 10 machine until i see that Microsoft have not messed up. When i have seen that the patch does not mess up Intel based windows machines then i will let it update. As Microsoft have a track record of issuing messed up patches they can go forth in short jerky moments for now.
Not had any issues here luckily so far, i don't play games on the PC so not sure how much of a slow down it will cause, but i would rather be patched for the sake of a few frames and speed on SSDs etc and god knows what else Nvidia graphics cards possibly?

I have a bios update from Asus to install also but holding off for now as i hate doing that.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Nvidia requires an update.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/4611

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/product-security/

Comodo and Avast are confirmed to be ok, so it is ok to install the MS patch.

Last edited by SnoopZ; 08-01-2018 at 20:15.
SnoopZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 07:00   #5
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoopZ View Post
Not had any issues here luckily so far, i don't play games on the PC so not sure how much of a slow down it will cause, but i would rather be patched for the sake of a few frames and speed on SSDs etc and god knows what else Nvidia graphics cards possibly?

I have a bios update from Asus to install also but holding off for now as i hate doing that.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 18:34 ----------

Nvidia requires an update.

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answ...tail/a_id/4611

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/product-security/

Comodo and Avast are confirmed to be ok, so it is ok to install the MS patch.
I have no intention of installing any patch from Microsoft until it is confirmed they work by the users. They have a track record of botching updates and i have been hit by one of them in the past. Never again

Old 09-01-2018, 09:30   #6
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

I don't blame you which is why i waited a good few days for confirmation from users which told me i needed to make sure my AV was compatible and it also requires a specific registry key in the registry which i did have, not sure when that got there though.

I think this patch is going to drop today on windows update.
Old 09-01-2018, 14:41   #7
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
I don't blame you which is why i waited a good few days for confirmation from users which told me i needed to make sure my AV was compatible and it also requires a specific registry key in the registry which i did have, not sure when that got there though.

I think this patch is going to drop today on windows update.
My pc is turned off and i am at work, but thanks for the heads up, i have updates blocked but i will boot the PC when i get home and watch to see if microsoft have tried to circumnavigate the blocks people have on updates. You may think i am being a bit funny about this update but Microsoft have had to rush this because the news broke early so i don't trust them to have got it right first time.

Old 09-01-2018, 15:32   #8
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Microsoft are not the only ones caught out by this - rushing out patches with issues.

The latest Linux kernel updates for Centos 6 & Centos 7 have hit problems as well.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 16:51   #9
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Microsoft are not the only ones caught out by this - rushing out patches with issues.

The latest Linux kernel updates for Centos 6 & Centos 7 have hit problems as well.
And that is why i block updates till they are reported clear

Old 10-01-2018, 00:39   #10
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (330 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Oh dear .....
Quote:
Microsoft has temporarily stopped distributing patches to computers and devices running AMD processors after acknowledging that its Windows security updates for the vulnerabilities known as Meltdown and Spectre left some computers in an “unbootable state.”
not their fault of course ....
Quote:
After investigating, Microsoft has determined that some AMD chipsets do not conform to the documentation previously provided to Microsoft to develop the Windows operating system mitigations to protect against the chipset vulnerabilities known as Spectre and Meltdown

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 12:50   #11
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

We don't seem to have a dedicated thread for the Meltdown Spectre vulnerabilities so i will add this here.

For people on affected Mobiles/Tablets, it looks like some of us will be abandoned as i have an LG G3 and after a web search this mobile won't be getting anymore security updates..... not happy at all.
Old 15-01-2018, 14:08   #12
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

My Win10 box tried to patch then errored. Trying to restart took an hour to shutdown then tried and failed to patch again and got stuck in a loop. Eventually returned to a restore point just before patching attempt and now stable. Update shows patch available with button to apply. Not going to push it.
Old 15-01-2018, 14:11   #13
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Make sure your AV is compatible.
Old 15-01-2018, 14:14   #14
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Make sure your AV is compatible.
Norton says it is.
Old 15-01-2018, 14:18   #15
SnoopZ
CF Resident Dog

Some Googling needed for you then, as these issues are too serious not to patch.