Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Using ADSL Modem as a pure router - Please Help!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Router Problems with Virgin

Old 12-09-2007, 21:09   #1
Sirus
Inactive

Sirus is an unknown quantity at this point
Router Problems with Virgin

Hey guys my brother bought a Linksys BEFSR41 router yesterday and it just arrived today, ive tried everything but im having a few very annoying problems with it

I have a Webstar DPX/EPX 2100 which i originally got from Telewest Broadband when i signed up for their 10mbit Unlimited package, ive been using this modem ever since ive got it and haven't had any problems with it, i can even maximize the new 20mbit line i have recently gotten, no problems etc

But as soon as i hooked up the Linksys BEFSR41 earlier this afternoon i noticed i was getting regular problems with the line dropping, it says in the bubble etc "Network Cable Unplugged" and a second later "Internet is connected at 100.0Mbps" and does this frequently, even more so if i decide to download anything from anywhere.

This problem is very stressful and im wracking my brain trying to fix it but ntohing i've tried works, i really hope one of you guys can help me out, i'd really appreciate it!
Sirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-09-2007, 21:46   #2
Wod
Inactive

Services: XL-TV,20MEG,XL-PHONE
Wod is on a distinguished roadWod is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Wod
Re: Router Problems with Virgin

Sounds like a problem on the ethernet hubs on the router, not sure though... Have you tried factory reset on the router?
Wod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 22:14   #3
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

Worth trying a different ethernet cable between the router and PC, just in case there is a dodgy connection. Maybe the ethernet driver on your PC needs an update if it isn't autodetecting the connection speed synchronisation correctly between the router and PC?
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 23:27   #4
Sirus
Inactive

Thanks for the help guys, but i'm sending the router in question back for a refund, ontop of trying 4 different ethernet cables on 2 PCs and 3 ethernet ports over 2 PC's and also getting friends who know alot about routers to help as well as firmware upgrades on the router and the ethernet cards + software updates etc, i never managed to fix the problem, so im guessing either my modem or ISP doesnt like the router in question, i will contact my ISP to find out which routers are compatible and better used on my line, also i found out that the router my brother ordered for me is only capable of handling 10mbit (1.3mb/s) down of my 20mbit line, so even if i could get it to work i'd be sending it back.

Thanks for the help and quick responses anyway guys, i really appreciate it, i will be coming back here if i get any trouble with my future router when i get around to buying it, i hope i don't need to though ^^
Old 12-09-2007, 23:44   #5
MovedGoalPosts
Inactive

MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars
MovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny starsMovedGoalPosts has a pair of shiny stars

That you were getting messages in the windows screen bubble of "network cable unplugged" confirmed the connectivity problem was between the router and PC, not modem to router. However if it wasn't even going to run fast enough for 20 meg then it needed to be binned.

Hope you get something more suited next time.
MovedGoalPosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 01:44   #6
squirrel1970
Inactive

squirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of lightsquirrel1970 is a glorious beacon of light

Thats a problem we've had... there's a way around it... go to the linksys site, grab the firmware upgrade for the router and then upgrade it via the router settings page... (it's all pretty easy enough to do) but I found out with this particular flava of router that it does do this kind of thing... and the only cure we know of, is to keep reinstalling the firmware upgrade. As I am aware, there are no more upgrades for this particular model router and although it's a PITA, it's something we've come to terms with... well worth the 5 minute wait while the firmware upgrade does its thing.
We too were at the point of going absolutely mental with it... we were close to buying a new router until I did the necessary......
Trust me.. firmware upgrade is the answer to your problem and your envisioned hair loss will be no more
squirrel1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2007, 04:26   #7
Sirus
Inactive

i upgraded the firmware already, also i wont be keeping a router that half's my internet connection speed, as its a huge waste of money, but thanks for the help