Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Asus RT-N16 - what is your wireless speed?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Computers & IT > Networking
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Asus RT-N16 - what is your wireless speed?

Old 11-12-2012, 23:50   #1
BeerCanSandwich
Inactive

BeerCanSandwich is an unknown quantity at this point
Asus RT-N16 - what is your wireless speed?

Been using one running Toastman since june and now want to get the wireless speed sorted.

What's your wireless speed with the N16 and what network adaptor are you using?

My adaptor seems to be the weak link as opposed to the router. With a TP-Link TL-WN821N I get this with the RT-N16:

and this with the home hub 2:

Compared to wired:
BeerCanSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-12-2012, 08:46   #2
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
Re: Asus RT-N16 - what is your wireless speed?

What does the router or adapter report the upstream and downstream link speed as over the wireless? Those look like results you'd expect in ~72Mbps mode, while both the adapter and router are capable of 300.

I haven't used that exact model but I tend to find most N300 routers and cards to be within a few percent of each other under test conditions.
qasdfdsaq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:34   #3
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

Try www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk instead of the standard speedtest site.

I have a superhub and I'm on 120Mb, this is connected to an Asus RT-N66U which shifts (upto 900Mb over wifi).

But to get these speeds you need the PC/OS that can receive it.
Old 13-12-2012, 23:57   #4
BeerCanSandwich
Inactive

Thanks for the reply qas.

I checked the link speed before posting and windows was reporting 130Mbps, however after your reply I checked what the router was reporting and it varies. channel width 20 MHz so 130Mbps is max, when it's set to 40 MHz throughput really low, about 5Mbps.

The wireless PC and router are on the ground floor about 8Meters apart with 2 doors inbetween them..

If both doors are shut:
Router Link Speed: 78Mbps - Pc Link Speed: 104Mbps

If both doors are open:
Router Link Speed: 117Mbps - Pc Link Speed: 130Mbps

If PC is next to router:
Router Link Speed: 130Mbps - Pc Link Speed: 130Mbps

Throughput is at max when PC is right next to router, it's reduced when in the back room and even worse when the doors are shut.

The range for decent speeds is shocking, annoyingly I forgot to try the channel width at 40 MHz when I moved the PC next to the router, it would probably run at full speed though seen as it does at 20 MHz.

There is an xbox upstair on the other side of the house which has no problem connecting so I think the wireless adaptor isn't good enough rather than the router haveing poor range.

How do I fix this then? I'm thinking a new adaptor or higher gain antenas for the router or even both for belt and braces, that maybe overkill though.

This one gets a good review from someone who replaced their TP-Link adaptor: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...-190-NG&tool=3

---------- Post added at 23:57 ---------- Previous post was at 23:50 ----------

Thanks for the reply Hom3r,

I've verified the speedtest.net results, that is another good tester though, it's one of the alternatives I use to verify results.

How much of that 900Mb can you acheive and with which adaptor?

I've got a 10 year old Socket A backup system that can acheive these speeds, as long as you have your TCP settings set correctly the OS isn't a limiting factor either.
Old 15-12-2012, 14:56   #5
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze
qasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronzeqasdfdsaq is cast in bronze

There are no 900Mbps routers or adapters. The maximum of the 802.11n standard is 600Mb. What most people call "N900" routers are basically two separate 450Mbps APs in one box, and you cannot connect one device to both simultaneously so your top speed with any one device will be 450. Course with a 300 adapter you will only get 300 and at 2.4Ghz you'll normally get a maximum of 130.

Note that Wifi has separate link speeds for upload and download, and Windows will normally report the highest of the two, so if your downlink is 6.5Mbps and your uplink is 130Mbps, Windows will still claim 130 while an actual speedtest will show something like 4Mbps. Routers tend to report the downlink speed only if it only shows one number. Typical maximum download speeds are about 50-66% of wireless link speed.

As a 2.4Ghz only router, attempting to use 40Mhz on the RT-N16 is not advisable.
Old 16-12-2012, 19:41   #6
BeerCanSandwich
Inactive

I see, Fast Ethernet is quicker than 2.4Ghz wireless then regardless of adaptor used. I might just throw a wire in. My PC is wired already so I've got spare cable and stuff from when I did that.
Old 16-12-2012, 20:15   #7
Hom3r
Mum 15/08/46 - 30/09/20

Location: Galactic Sector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, www.daves-world.co.uk. A secret Moonbase (shh don't tell anybody)
Services: 1 V6, 2x1TB TiVo, SH3. Samsung Galaxy Note 10+ 5G, Ton's of Smart Home stuff, & Cuddy Toy
Hom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny starsHom3r has a pair of shiny stars
Hom3r has a pair of shiny stars

RT-N66U (IPv6 Compatible)

Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router

• 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions for Strong Signal Strength and Ultra-Fast Connection Rates up to 900Mbps
  • ASUS AiCloud service: Access, stream, share, sync – all on the go with unlimited storage expansion!
  • Gigabit Ethernet Ports for the Fastest, Most Reliable Internet Performance
  • Download Master for Wireless Data Storage and Access to Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
  • Expanded Wireless Coverage with Detachable High-Powered Antennas
  • File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and 3G Sharing via Two Multi-Functional Built-in USB Ports
  • ASUSWRT Dashboard UI for Easy Setup, Signal Monitoring, and Network Application Control

I have a Asus N53 USB2 adapter which connects a 300Mbps
Old 16-12-2012, 23:30   #8
qasdfdsaq
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerCanSandwich View Post
I see, Fast Ethernet is quicker than 2.4Ghz wireless then regardless of adaptor used. I might just throw a wire in. My PC is wired already so I've got spare cable and stuff from when I did that.
Technically not neccessarily, but in most cases in practice, yes, especially when used full-duplex.
Old 17-12-2012, 16:06   #9
Mick Fisher
Inactive

Services: Sky Unlimited FibrePro Sky Talk Sky+HD
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array
Mick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze arrayMick Fisher has a bronze array

RT-N16 on wireless

Mick Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2013, 17:32   #10
craigj2k12
cf.mega poster

craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal
craigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appealcraigj2k12 has a bronzed appeal

Did you get this sorted?

My RT-N16 on VM 100Mb hit 105Mb/s easily, could compare config if it helps?
craigj2k12 is offline   Reply With Quote