Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Samsung V+ box

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Samsung V+ box

Old 10-01-2018, 15:37   #1
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough
Samsung V+ box

I was having a online chat earlier today about my bundle. I have 3 boxes, V6, TiVo and Samsung V+. When agent checked it she said that the the v+ would be discontinued in February. If I wish to keep 3 boxes I would have to upgrade to TiVo or V6 otherwise it would automatically be removed. Is this correct?. I would expect to have been sent a letter by now if this is right.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-01-2018, 16:19   #2
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Samsung V+ box

No, it's not correct that all V+ HD boxes will stop working. The Samsung V+ HD itself will continue to work, but there are some circumstances where customers may be asked to swap it due to the TV services they have.

But, as you say, any required swaps are notified well in advance of the switch off date.
Old 10-01-2018, 16:35   #3
trueblood
cf.member

Services: TV XL Phone M BB XL 200 MB V6 x 2
trueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enoughtrueblood will become famous soon enough

Thanks Ben. Always the most reliable person with the correct information, shame not all agent's you speak to have this.
trueblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 17:53   #4
Hymagumba
Inactive

Hymagumba is an unknown quantity at this point

Does this mean, if they start decommissioning the V+ boxes, that the final hurdle to switching to MPEG4 only will be gone?

IIRC the samsung supported MPEG4 but the SciAtlanta only did MPEG2.

Apols if I am totally out of date on this.
Hymagumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 18:23   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

Think it will be a while yet.
I'm still seeing posts on the community board from customers still using standard Pace V boxes that VM started swapping out several years ago.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 19:17   #6
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hymagumba View Post
Does this mean, if they start decommissioning the V+ boxes, that the final hurdle to switching to MPEG4 only will be gone?

IIRC the samsung supported MPEG4 but the SciAtlanta only did MPEG2.
You are correct that the Samsung V+ supports MPEG4. The last of the Scientific-Atlanta ones were decommissioned a few months ago. VM hasn't switched to MPEG4 yet simply because there hasn't been any need to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nodrogd View Post
Think it will be a while yet.
I'm still seeing posts on the community board from customers still using standard Pace V boxes that VM started swapping out several years ago.
The Pace boxes are SD-only, so switching the HD channels to MPEG4 wouldn't affect them. There is little benefit in switching the SD channels to MPEG4.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2018, 19:23   #7
Hymagumba
Inactive

Hymagumba is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
You are correct that the Samsung V+ supports MPEG4. The last of the Scientific-Atlanta ones were decommissioned a few months ago. VM hasn't switched to MPEG4 yet simply because there hasn't been any need to.

The Pace boxes are SD-only, so switching the HD channels to MPEG4 wouldn't affect them. There is little benefit in switching the SD channels to MPEG4.
You say that, but given the more efficient encoding wouldn't it help some of the more excessively compressed channels, like food network?

Is it just the case there is enough bandwidth for the TV channels in existence and therefore they don't need to swap to MPEG4 or is it that the costs outweigh the benefits for the timebeing? I'd have thought it'd be harder / more expensive to source MPEG2 encoding hardware these days compared to MPEG4.
Hymagumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 09:09   #8
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
You say that, but given the more efficient encoding wouldn't it help some of the more excessively compressed channels, like food network?
Channels such as Food Network are already compressed whan VM receive them. There is nothing that VM can do to improve the quality. (Must admit I hadn't noticed a problem on FN).

Quote:
Is it just the case there is enough bandwidth for the TV channels in existence and therefore they don't need to swap to MPEG4
Yes.

Quote:
or is it that the costs outweigh the benefits for the timebeing? I'd have thought it'd be harder / more expensive to source MPEG2 encoding hardware these days compared to MPEG4.
MPEG2 is basically a subset of MPEG4, and all the current encoders can do both.
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 11:16   #9
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

I'm sure I read somewhere that moving to MPEG4 will considerably increase recording capacity on TiVo. If correct then surely that is reason enough to do it
Joedm45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:30   #10
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joedm45 View Post
I'm sure I read somewhere that moving to MPEG4 will considerably increase recording capacity on TiVo. If correct then surely that is reason enough to do it
I think I saw that as well, it was a justification of Virgin dropping the idea of a 2Tb V6 box - although that was rumoured to be back on the cards recently.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:40   #11
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
I think I saw that as well, it was a justification of Virgin dropping the idea of a 2Tb V6 box - although that was rumoured to be back on the cards recently.
I thought the reason for offering only 1TB was a possible move to cloud recordings, but no sign of that yet. It's a shame, because HD looks so much better than SD, and the number of recordings you can make in HD is severely limited with 1TB.

Given that the V6 is capable of showing UHD channels, offering only 1TB is inexplicable.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 13:42   #12
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

If VM was directly leasing space on their muxes to the broadcasters for their channels then, as with Freeview space on MPEG4 muxes would no doubt work out cheaper to lease than MPEG2 muxes due to the smaller data stream required for SD.

But as VM is a closed system there is no advantage to this.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 14:08   #13
RobboEdin
cf.mega poster

RobboEdin has reached the bronze age
RobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze ageRobboEdin has reached the bronze age

BEWARE CONTROVERSIAL STATEMENT
1TB is more than enough for those who use the box to record and watch programs.
For those that see it as an archive box - WHY?
RobboEdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 14:31   #14
alwaysabear
RIp Sweetness

Services: TiVo Full house sports bundle,Vivid 200, SHUB 3, talk more anytime.
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal
alwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appealalwaysabear has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
For my purposes the 500Gb Tivo is big enough, barely gets past 70% full.
alwaysabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2018, 15:49   #15
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobboEdin View Post
Not at all controversial.

If you are away for 2 weeks, the number of football and rugby matches to record will more than fill a 1Tb box in HD recordings.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote