Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black people.

Old 19-01-2018, 15:09   #76
tweetiepooh
Virgin Media Employee

Services: Staff MyRates BB: VM XXL TV: VM XL Phone : VM XL
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
tweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appealtweetiepooh has a bronzed appeal
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

But if I complain about the use of "Jesus" as a swear word it would be ignored as common usage so why not show material that uses "offensive phrasing" because it is in use (or was). Just because it's used doesn't mean that the makers agree with the usage.

There is also a difference between racist and racial that depends a lot on the intent but the law as stands is on how the "listener" perceives the usage. This is what's led to many people finding themselves in hot water because some comment is felt to be "hate speech". Even innocent comments can be said to be hateful because someone hearing is in some unique circumstance that possibly the speaker isn't aware of.
Old 19-01-2018, 16:10   #77
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age
Re: Talking Pictures in trouble again for broadcasting words offensive to black peopl

I'm just waiting for some idiot to issue a complaint about New Zealand rugby team being call the All Blacks.
theone2k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 19:46   #78
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

TP is the most inoffensive of channels, showing films your granny went to see. Tbh theres much more violence bad language in the soaps each night. They probably have limited resources to check for every potentially offensive word. If we don't want the giants like Sky to dominate everything, these smaller channels need to be encouraged, otherwise we'll just end up with no choice.
Mr K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 22:51   #79
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
TP is the most inoffensive of channels, showing films your granny went to see. Tbh theres much more violence bad language in the soaps each night. They probably have limited resources to check for every potentially offensive word. If we don't want the giants like Sky to dominate everything, these smaller channels need to be encouraged, otherwise we'll just end up with no choice.
For once, Mr K, we seem to agree!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2018, 23:53   #80
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

I think the reason OFCOM got involved is contained in the very first sentence, "It follows the pre-watershed broadcast." I Suspect if it had have been after nothing would have happened.

Last edited by multiskilled; 19-01-2018 at 23:58.
multiskilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 01:13   #81
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
I think the reason OFCOM got involved is contained in the very first sentence, "It follows the pre-watershed broadcast." I Suspect if it had have been after nothing would have happened.
Fair enough, but when I was a teenager, I watched these programmes without censorship.

Is the snowflake generation unable to function without this protective mechanism in place?

Bless!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2018, 01:52   #82
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
Or..

It could be they don’t feel the need to show ‘offensive’ material ‘that was acceptable and broadcast years ago’, or they don’t think there is a market for it - those option also exist...

Ofcom was founded in 2003.
Or it could be that they are taking the easy option and just not showing archive material for fear of getting into trouble (as TP have found out).
RichardCoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 01:05   #83
multiskilled
cf.geek

Services: Player tv , V6, phone l, bb 100Meg.
multiskilled has reached the bronze age
multiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze agemultiskilled has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Fair enough, but when I was a teenager, I watched these programmes without censorship.

Is the snowflake generation unable to function without this protective mechanism in place?

Bless!
The watershed was also in place when you were a teenager. As we don't know what time the programme was actually transmitted other than it was pre watershed, it could have been viewed by children younger than their teens.

Also the terms objected to are not in common use these these days is there any point in adding them to the playground lexicon.
Old 24-01-2018, 01:36   #84
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiskilled View Post
The watershed was also in place when you were a teenager. As we don't know what time the programme was actually transmitted other than it was pre watershed, it could have been viewed by children younger than their teens.

Also the terms objected to are not in common use these these days is there any point in adding them to the playground lexicon.
The second incident (where the word 'Sambo' was used) was broadcast at 15:25 on 13/9/17.
Old 24-01-2018, 05:19   #85
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
The second incident (where the word 'Sambo' was used) was broadcast at 15:25 on 13/9/17.
As multiskilled states this word was used far more 40 years ago as l certainly know as most of our family and l were called it on a pretty regular basis along with many other names but generally we have come a long way since then thankfully.
Old 24-01-2018, 17:13   #86
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Or it could be that they are taking the easy option and just not showing archive material for fear of getting into trouble (as TP have found out).
We’ll never know...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 23:05   #87
Arthurgray50@blu
cf.mega poster

Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal
Arthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appealArthurgray50@blu has a bronzed appeal

I just wish these programmes would return
Till Death us do Part
Love thy neighbour
Etc etc

Its about time the PC brigade got off the fence and let life continue as it should
I have been called some really offensive words such as W**** H**** by various people - l am not allowed to mention who they are. As this is how stupid the system is now getting.

I am just waiting for someone to be taken top court over an offensive remark.

We are talking about telly from the past, which is extremely popular today.

So please get a life.
Arthurgray50@blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2018, 23:10   #88
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
As multiskilled states this word was used far more 40 years ago as l certainly know as most of our family and l were called it on a pretty regular basis along with many other names but generally we have come a long way since then thankfully.
As I child I seldom heard the word, children were more likely to call each other white honkey or black honkey after hearing it on Love Thy Neighbour.

It must have been particularly hard for your brother at this time when it was deemed socially acceptable to make insulting remarks.
Old 25-01-2018, 05:26   #89
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
As I child I seldom heard the word, children were more likely to call each other white honkey or black honkey after hearing it on Love Thy Neighbour.

It must have been particularly hard for your brother at this time when it was deemed socially acceptable to make insulting remarks.
Once you have been called those names a few times our family generally just ignored it and just rose above it Richard and got on with our lives.
Old 25-01-2018, 13:34   #90
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurgray50@blu View Post
I just wish these programmes would return
Till Death us do Part
Love thy neighbour
Etc etc

Its about time the PC brigade got off the fence and let life continue as it should
I have been called some really offensive words such as W**** H**** by various people - l am not allowed to mention who they are. As this is how stupid the system is now getting.

I am just waiting for someone to be taken top court over an offensive remark.

We are talking about telly from the past, which is extremely popular today.

So please get a life.
You were called a Welly Hoyer? I didn't realise you did Welly Hoying?

Almost as bad as being accused of Morris Dancing...
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote