Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Freesat or Freeview instead of Virgin

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Freesat or Freeview instead of Virgin

Old 19-04-2012, 17:36   #1
GavChap
Inactive

Services: Virgin 60M BB, M+ TV, L Phone
GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough
Freesat or Freeview instead of Virgin

I'm thinking of ditching VM's TV offerings (I'm currently on M+) for Freesat or Freeview, mainly to save money, are there any Freesat or Freeview boxes that support VoD like iPlayer, 4oD, etc?
GavChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 19-04-2012, 17:48   #2
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Freesat or Freeview instead of Virgin

You can get iPlayer and ITV Player on any Humax Freesat PVR and AFAIK on several other models now too, but I don't believe 4oD is available on any PVR whether on Freesat or Freeview.

In general I think Freesat has the better long-term prospects than Freeview does because there is vastly more exploitable bandwidth on satellite than on terrestrial, so if you're able to make a choice between them at this stage I'd go for sat. There's every chance the C4 and C5 catch-up players will appear on Freesat boxes in the short to medium term anyway, the negotiations have been subject of much rumour and speculation for many months now.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 19:49   #3
v0id
[CENSORED]

Services: Virginmedia - BB:250 TV:Mix TiVo v6 Phone:Talk Weekends w/anon reject
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal
v0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appealv0id has a bronzed appeal

Iplayer, 4OD and Five on Demand are available on the Xbox

v0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 20:09   #4
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

There is far gteater choice of PVR on freeview however, as Chris mentioned, Freesat has more long term potential.

The Humax Foxsat HDR and Echostar PVRs are a great choice for Freesat.
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 23:38   #5
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one

The best option, if you can, is to have both, as channels like Really and Yesterday, are available on Freeview but not Freesat. Conversely you have channels like CBS Drama and Horror Channel on Freesat but not Freeview.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2012, 23:56   #6
danielf
cf.mega poser

danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura
danielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden auradanielf has a golden aura

I can't believe I used to pay VM (or Telewest actually) for TV. When I moved out of a cabled area (4 or 5 years ago), I decided to go Freeview and buy a Humax PVR instead. Best money saved ever... I spent £200 on the PVR on nothing on TV subscription since.

I'd probably go Freesat if I had to choose now, but it would be Free for sure.

Then again, I never watch Really, Yesterday, CBS Drama or the Horror Channel, but in fairness: if you do, you want to have your head examined
Old 20-04-2012, 10:44   #7
mark1234
Inactive

Services: Virgin TV XL, Broadband XL (60), Phone XL, Windows 7 Media Centre
mark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to allmark1234 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by v0id View Post
Iplayer, 4OD and Five on Demand are available on the Xbox
4oD and Demand5 need a chargeable Gold Xbox Live subscription though. Only iPlayer is available without paying extra.
mark1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:49   #8
GavChap
Inactive

GavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enoughGavChap will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1234 View Post
4oD and Demand5 need a chargeable Gold Xbox Live subscription though. Only iPlayer is available without paying extra.
It would also help if I owned an xbox.
Old 20-04-2012, 10:51   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

A point often lost on some of our members who seem to think every household owns every gadget going

Gav, what are your thoughts regarding Freesat vs. Freeview? Is your house completely without either sat or terrestrial reception equipment?
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 10:55   #10
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Never owned a game console since my last SNES (no-one could ever beat me on Mario Kart battle mode )

If you're that worried about all the on-demands then go for a media centre, you can plug in tuners for freesat/view, record what you want and use it for email/streaming/on-demand/tv/pvr/gaming/business and anything else you want..
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2012, 11:04   #11
GavChap
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Gav, what are your thoughts regarding Freesat vs. Freeview? Is your house completely without either sat or terrestrial reception equipment?
We have a dish with quad LNB, but it needs re-cabling as the previous tenant chopped off the cable when virgin was installed which is easy enough, we also have a terrestrial aerial which does work with most freeview channels (except the mux with Dave on it), I assume we can get HD as it's in band for our aerial. I already have a Humax 9200T, which isn't HD unfortunately, so I'd want a new PVR to do HD.

So I have a choice of anything really, freeview, freesat, VM, sky, BT. I'm currently on XL BB, L phone and M+ TV with VM.
Old 20-04-2012, 11:08   #12
LexDiamond
Inactive

LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

If you're happy with your 9200 but want HD then you won't be disappointed with Humax Foxsat HDR for freesat or the FoxT2 for Freeview.
Old 23-04-2012, 22:43   #13
Pbryanw
cf.addict

Services: Plusnet Fibre Broadband, Phone & TV
Pbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nicePbryanw is just really nice

I just recently made the move from Virgin TiVo to a Humax Foxsat PVR. Luckily the previous residents had Sky so no additional outlay was needed.

I do miss some of TiVos features, like Wishlists and Search, but find I'm not missing the extra channels (I was on TV XL) as most of them I never watched. Another thing you might miss is Flimflex.

Worth taking into consideration is whether to wait for YouView enabled Freesat boxes, which would give you all the Catch-up TV services, though it's release date (in time for the Olympics) is prone to slippage.

For someone who doesn't watch a lot of TV like me (and sticks to the five terrestial channels), and doesn't use VoD or Catch-up, I can say it's worth making the move to Foxsat.

As to buying the box, I bought mine as A-graded stock off the Humax web-site. It worked out cheaper then Amazon, and the one I've got seemed like new. Here's a a link to the Manager's Specials on Humax's site.

(EDIT: Didn't realise the thread was four days old - hope it's al-right to post one more to the end)
Pbryanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 08:29   #14
LexDiamond
Inactive

According to alot of the respected websites it is unlikely that Youview will launch with a Freesat PVR. It is more likely to be Freeview based to begin with and the Freesat variant coming later on.
Old 24-04-2012, 09:17   #15
GavChap
Inactive

Youview sounds like a good option, when it launches. However yesterday I phoned retentions and they gave me a nice enough deal to stay with them for another 12 months.