Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 09-05-2012, 14:15   #526
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

If it's a fault box then try ROSS and a direct warranty
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 10-05-2012, 11:06   #527
wombat66
Inactive

wombat66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, I tried Ross support, but they are most unhelpful and say they have had no other complaints about the HD box. I find this very unlikely, especially in view of the fact that B&Q have withdrawn the kit from sale. Ross say the box was designed for freesat and are really not interested in any problems which occur with other satellite reception
wombat66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:21   #528
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

It might help if you specify what the problem is??? A design fault to one might turn out to be a curable technical fault.

Also the box is not a FREESAT box but instead an FTA box designed for any KU band satellite hence they are on the transponder listings.. If you are sure it is a fault then just mention that it is an FTA and not a freesat branded box and not fit for purpose and that you're next stop is trading standards trading standards to Ross
Old 10-05-2012, 19:24   #529
wombat66
Inactive

Firstly, the box is unable to handle tranmissions with AC3 audio, audio drop-outs occur every few minutes. Ross say you get round this by changing the audio to Mpeg, but this does not work with the ones I've tried.

It is not possible to add new satellites, when you enter the frequency information and the Diseqc number, the page jumps back to the satellite list, without registering the information.

The TV/Radio button is very intermittent in operation.

I am not sure which of these faults are design, but the audio fault did not happen with the previous model.
Old 10-05-2012, 20:04   #530
Kymmy
Inactive

Is there any firmware upgrade??

If not then talk to Ross again, if no luck there then try their complaints dept.. if no luck after that then trading standards
Old 11-05-2012, 16:30   #531
wombat66
Inactive

Thanks for your interest and advice. I will certainly contact Ross again and see what happens. I would still like to know the answer to my original query, why has B&Q dropped the kit and withdrawn it from sale ?
Old 11-05-2012, 16:55   #532
Kymmy
Inactive

Probably because Ross is redoing their lineup this year.. B&Q probably got the last production run before the new ones were slated for production
Old 12-05-2012, 15:36   #533
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wombat66 View Post
I would still like to know the answer to my original query, why has B&Q dropped the kit and withdrawn it from sale ?
if you you look on the ROSS web site it quotes :"later in 2012"i presume it must mean a new product launch.i too have problems with the new HDR-8130USB reciever,it wont allow you to key in new sats,just takes you back sat page.allso theyve forgotten to add a button to allow you to scroll through the multi screen pages,lol although they wont admit it.sam evans at ROSS doesnt help matters by being defensive in answering queries.ive always defended ROSS B4 but theyve turned out some poor work just lately.

---------- Post added at 15:32 ---------- Previous post was at 15:27 ----------

PS,it was that cheap im putting up with it for the time being,as ive taken two other models back,so blame myself for being a glutton for punishment.one gets what one pays for.i shuda listened to CHRIS,,,LOL.

---------- Post added at 15:33 ---------- Previous post was at 15:32 ----------

£36 all in,,,dish ,reciver etc.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:33 ----------

I WONDER WHAT THE £200 HD RECIVER IS LIKE?dont think i would trust ROSS with that kind of money.

---------- Post added at 15:36 ---------- Previous post was at 15:36 ----------

receiver
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 16:52   #534
wombat66
Inactive

you can get round the 'new sat' problem by doing a blind scan on one of the listed sats after changing the frequencies, then changing the name. I bought this kit in January, and it had only just come into the shops, so I am surprised that Ross are replacing it so soon when they tell me they have had no other complaints!!! For £200 you can get a Humax Foxsat and a USB hard drive, a much better bet, I think.
Old 12-05-2012, 16:58   #535
Kymmy
Inactive

For less than £200 there's lots of linux based firmware boxes that will run Enigma which will give you full multisat capability, lots of add-ons, streaming, multi-tuner, 7day cached epg and recording.. Even my SD mutant runs enigma and I got that for less than £100 many years ago
Old 15-05-2012, 09:11   #536
mick40s
Inactive

mick40s is an unknown quantity at this point

Dunno about online but they still had them in my b/q store on bank hol monday as i baught, and so did my mate and as far as im aware they still have them instock.
With the help of this forum i have connected mine to the more attractive black dish with quad lnb and i installed dish etc myself, had it up and running in about an hour and i cannot fault it ...a good buy i think .
mick40s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2012, 21:49   #537
LexDiamond
Inactive

Services: Sky+HD, Sky Unlimited BB and Sky landline
LexDiamond has reached the bronze age
LexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze ageLexDiamond has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
For less than £200 there's lots of linux based firmware boxes that will run Enigma which will give you full multisat capability, lots of add-ons, streaming, multi-tuner, 7day cached epg and recording.. Even my SD mutant runs enigma and I got that for less than £100 many years ago
How do you get 7 day EPG? Is it from a transponder or via an internet connection?
LexDiamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 21:10   #538
boyabouttown
Inactive

boyabouttown is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, just bought the ross hd system and set it up. I have a quality reading of 63% but no picture or sound, the box at bottom of screen comes up with the channel ie. Bbc1 ch4 etc but no picture at all, any ideas anyone.
ps the signal strength is 99 in a yellow/green colour, the quality bar is 63% but in white, should it be yellow/green
boyabouttown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:19   #539
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexDiamond View Post
How do you get 7 day EPG? Is it from a transponder or via an internet connection?
Sorry I missed this question.. It's the firmware I use on my box (non-ross) as standard it gives me now and next epg but replaced with enigma it gives me 7 day epg

---------- Post added at 07:19 ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyabouttown View Post
Hi, just bought the ross hd system and set it up. I have a quality reading of 63% but no picture or sound, the box at bottom of screen comes up with the channel ie. Bbc1 ch4 etc but no picture at all, any ideas anyone.
ps the signal strength is 99 in a yellow/green colour, the quality bar is 63% but in white, should it be yellow/green
Try a reset and rescan
Old 12-07-2012, 09:06   #540
boyabouttown
Inactive

boyabouttown is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, thanks for replying, i will try that tonight. is it possible that i am on the wrong satellite, i noticed that if i scroll up and down the other satellites that a few of them show the same quality reading, could it be that i am pointing at one of those. the ross manual says there is no need to scan the astra sar as its already programmed in, which i presume would show the list of programmes available even if i wasnt on the right satellite.
boyabouttown is offline   Reply With Quote