Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 24-08-2011, 14:32   #406
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

glad it was of some use..

Now kindly tell the rest of these guys your efforts to find the sats with and without the meter
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 24-08-2011, 14:47   #407
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

get the konig sat finder ,turn it down till it only just gives a signal,move the dish slowly till the sound gets louder and the needle moves across the dial to its highest poin,,,,you now have your strongest signal.simplesssss!astra/euro1 and as a plus astra1c and 1d

---------- Post added at 14:47 ---------- Previous post was at 14:45 ----------

bye for now,,,and good luck
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 15:14   #408
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Astra1 (19.2E) doesn't have a lot of English channels on it (mainly French, Spanish and German).. You need Astra2 (28.2E) which is a couple of sats to the left.. Just remember that due to the curvature of the earth as you go left you will need to also slightly lower the dish. It's this sat that has all the UK freesat (and a few others).. If you go to the right slightly from Astra1 you'll also hit Hotbird (13E) which has a lot of Polish, Italian..etc channels on it
Old 24-08-2011, 15:48   #409
scamps
Inactive

scamps is an unknown quantity at this point

Kimmy, Chris, Azimuth
I got the Konig Sat Finder this morning from an Amazon Vendor for under £7 delivered. I found a signal close to where I was already pointing inside 5 minutes. So now I have 99% 99 Strentgh and 63% quality (According to the Ross) which is abouth the maximum I can achieve.
Flicking through BBC regional channels I find some of them are blank even though signal is there? For instance BBC Yorkshire is blank, whilst BBC Yorks and Links is fine. Do any of you know why this is?
scamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 15:49   #410
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

I would suspect the firmware on the Ross box is out of date. It may be possible to get an over-the-air update for it? I don't know, as I don't own one myself. Doubtless someone here can advise ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 15:53   #411
scamps
Inactive

I should add that both these stations have approximately the same signal stregth. Also, guys - thanks for the advice. You were right :-) Kit worked great.
Old 24-08-2011, 16:24   #412
Kymmy
Inactive

Something to note is that there is more than one sat at 28.2E, all of them are used for sky/freesat and when you do the dish pointing you need to not only find the centre point east/west but also up/down.. this should ensure that you get a decent signal strength on all of the sats that are floating around inside of a virtual box in space (they never truely stop moving)

As for the missing channels is there anything in the menu as for transponder updates?? Just that the sats transponders change and the firmware you have might not have the latest updates as Chris said. Check for one of three things.. Firmware updates, transponder updates or manual settings (to enter the channel manually whilst waiting for updates)
Old 24-08-2011, 16:39   #413
chirsss
Inactive

chirsss is an unknown quantity at this point

im tearing my hair out with this kit!

ive got the sd version from bnq, and ive been at aligning it for a week now and cant get any signal quality at all, and the most strength ive got is 74%

ive set the dish up on a pole in the garden, with a clear view of the sky. i roughly set the dish, with a compass and copying other sky dishes, connected the signal meter and signal. but when i remove the meter, and connect up straight to the box, i get nothing.

any help greatly appreciated. thanks.
chirsss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 16:42   #414
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Signal quality could be better ... check the quality of your cabling, especially the f-connectors at either end. Also ensure there are no kinks or tight turns on the cable. Also I don't much like the sound of a pole in the garden. What's holding it steady? A satellite dish isn't like a terrestrial aerial, it will have absolutely no tolerance for wobbling in the wind.
Old 24-08-2011, 16:59   #415
scamps
Inactive

OK. I have a call in with Ross to see if there are updates (nothing showing on their web and I cannot see anything in menus on device)

Regarding your question about set up. I did indeed adjust east/west and then up/down. I rechecked and fine tuned as best as possible. So I'll concentrate on Firmware / Software updates first. I'll look on the web to see If I can find manual tuning details for that particular station as well.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:49 ----------

Chirsss - I am a novice. I just set up a Ross HD kit from B&Q. My Signal strength has always been 99% so I think you might have a F-Connector problem. On my cable (as supplied in the box, I discovered the connector fell apart quite easily. I replaced it with another better one.
Also, advised by the guys on this Forum, I purchased a Konig Sat Meter and found the signal almost immediately (63% Quality).
Old 24-08-2011, 18:29   #416
Kymmy
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamps View Post
Also, advised by the girls on this Forum, I purchased a Konig Sat Meter and found the signal almost immediately (63% Quality).
Fixed it for ya
Old 25-08-2011, 00:34   #417
levi1989
Inactive

levi1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anybody's music channels lost signal over the last few days?
levi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 14:42   #418
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

SCAMPS,,,on your ross box astra&euro are at number 22 on the satellite list which you will have tuned into.go to number 4 on the sat list and tune into that one too,,,it will then give you all your missing local channels and others besides.azi
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 19:35   #419
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Question please, go easy as my knowledge of Satellite isn't the best.

I have SkyHD which I understand uses Astra 28.2 , I have a quad LNB with two free connectors if I was to put a box in my conservatory what's the difference with connecting a FTA box as opposed to a Freesat branded receiver. Will both types receive the exact amount of channels , can you recommend some decent boxes.
muppetman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2011, 20:01   #420
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

You would get all the same channels from any FTA box, whether or not it is Freesat branded. The advantages of the Freesat brand are a very easy set-up process and EPG. You can however get other FTA boxes that it is possible to programme to collect EPG data and some are easier than others to set up.

There are others here who have first-hand experience of non-Freesat FTA boxes, especially the Ross kit that you can get at B&Q ... doubtless one or more of them will have advice on which to go for.