Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | What have you fixed lately?

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle
Register FAQ Community Calendar

What have you fixed lately?

Old 27-08-2015, 12:40   #346
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: What have you fixed lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyds View Post
One of the ladies in the works canteen drives a Peugeot 307 (I don't judge...) and the indicator bulb had gone.

Cue me popping a new one in this morning.
Didn't have to remove the wing and lift the engine and gearbox out to access it then?
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 27-08-2015, 12:54   #347
rhyds
Inactive

Services: Plusnet Phone/BB, Freesat, VM Business BB (Cable)
rhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond reputerhyds has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Didn't have to remove the wing and lift the engine and gearbox out to access it then?
Shockingly enough no. The indicator bulbs on the front are in a small twist-fit holder and it was easily removed. It took longer (and google!) to find the bonnet release, which is hidden right under the dashboard on the passenger side.

The odd thing was the bulb tested fine on a multimeter, but I swapped it for a spare anyway. Apparently the twist fit holders have a habit of forming bad connections, but the indicator worked fine afterwards.
rhyds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2015, 17:59   #348
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by heero_yuy View Post
Bathroom scales stopped working. Dead battery (PP3) but when I unplugged it the connector fell to pieces. Canabalised the old battery for the connector, soldered that into the wiring and voila. Works a treat with a new battery.
Good tip mate!
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 00:50   #349
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star

Replaced the TV in the bedroom today. Used the existing wall bracket for which I had thankfully kept the box containing all of the extra bits of hardware as I needed additional spacers. The shysters also made the tv with some weird sized threads which appears to be a measure to encourage you to buy their proprietary "wall mount adapter"...The vast collection of nuts and bolts in the shed pays dividends once again and Samsung can get stuffed.
Old 18-09-2015, 07:07   #350
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Peter View Post
Replaced the TV in the bedroom today. Used the existing wall bracket for which I had thankfully kept the box containing all of the extra bits of hardware as I needed additional spacers. The shysters also made the tv with some weird sized threads which appears to be a measure to encourage you to buy their proprietary "wall mount adapter"...The vast collection of nuts and bolts in the shed pays dividends once again and Samsung can get stuffed.

Good for you Uncle Pete! I think most of us have a collection of that stuff we keep in the hope that it will 'come in handy one day' lol.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2015, 19:38   #351
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinky View Post
Good for you Uncle Pete! I think most of us have a collection of that stuff we keep in the hope that it will 'come in handy one day' lol.
Thing is: everything is sorted into exact sizes and types right down to the last grubscrew. My other half thinks I have OCD. She's probably right
Old 18-09-2015, 22:33   #352
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

Osem jnr #2's favourite sock which had a great big hole in. He was delighted.
Old 19-09-2015, 08:49   #353
sniper007
Inactive

sniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of lightsniper007 is a glorious beacon of light

This thread is my life when I'm not working I swear. There's always a queue of things to be fixed. In the last month or so some of the things I can remember:

iphone5
Babyliss Hairdryer
GHD Hair straighteners
Cupboard doors
kitchen drawers
Bike maintenance
Car water leak
Smashed window

Currently my computer desk is actually laid out with all my soldering gear. The lounge looks like a dodgey back street repair centre. Actually it is.

Next up, fix my headphones with a weak 3.5mm jack.
sniper007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2015, 18:13   #354
Dude111
An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
Dude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appealDude111 has a bronzed appeal
I last fixed one of my cassettes this morning!!

The pad fell off and w/o it,the sound is not good!! (The pad keeps the tape against the play head)
Dude111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 10:05   #355
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Solar powered rock light.

It was dim and running out quickly. I prized out the LED reflector assembley with a screwdriver as it's only held in by silicon goo.

and levered off the small PCB carrying the four LEDs.

This picture also shows the uprated solar cell.

Testing at low current on a 5v power supply ( using a series resistor ) showed one LED was drawing current but not lighting up. Probably static damaged during manufacture. A second LED had a dry solder joint. Rummaged about and found a spare in the bitsa box. I've also ordered up a job lot from Amazon for future repaires.

At the same time I fitted an uprated solar cell that has about double the output of the old one.

Note the much larger amount of active cell in the array on the right. Deliveres about 140ma in bright sun.

Re-assembled the rock using clear silicon sealer. Works a treat now.

Here's how to identify the LED polarity:

white_LED_polarity.jpg

The LEDs on the PCB were all the same way round and connected in parallel. The Anode needs to be made positive vs the cathode to emit light and a current limiting method is needed. White LEDs are also static sensitive. The rock lights use a special chip that converts the 1.2v of the battery to the 3-4v tht the LED needs. It also controls the charging and discharging of the battery and the turn on at night

If the solar cell gets misty it can be restored using Brasso. If the misting is really bad then some 1200 wet & Dry ( used wet) can be used and then polish with the Brasso. I don't know how thick the resin overlay is so be careful.

Photo0234_s.jpg

Photo0233_c.jpg

Photo0231_s.jpg
Old 23-09-2015, 15:40   #356
Osem
Inactive

Nice work, it amazes me how much stuff they manage to get into these gadgets and what the various tiny components do.

Think you should rename yourself 'Pimp my Rocks'...
Old 01-10-2015, 09:02   #357
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Not that it'll mean a lot to anyone but just fixed the desk microphone one the new HF radio and also put together an isolating audio interface so I can do data modes on it Just gotta find a couple of 2n2222 transistors and some 4k7 and 10k resistors now to do a serial control interface.
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 21:47   #358
Osem
Inactive

The 6 position control on the wife's heated back pad. The slider just wouldn't budge so I prized the controller apart and found a fairly simple plastic slider arrangement with 'teeth' into which the slider would click. A little silicone spray did the trick and after a quick reassemble and snap back together, the thing works perfectly. Job done, brownie points acquired now all I need to do is think how to redeem them...
Old 17-11-2015, 08:39   #359
Osem
Inactive

Well it appears the above issue wasn't the only problem with the damned thing. It suddenly stopped working again so I opened it up and had another look. Having checked the movement of the control switch I found two sprung power contacts one of which looked as if it wasn't making good contact so I bent it slightly, reassembled the thing and sure enough it all worked. Or so I thought... After a few on/off cycles it stopped working again! On reopening the casing I couldn't see anything obvious but shining a high power cree led torch on the contacts and their soldered connections I could see one of them had failed. I've never really done any soldering but have a kit from many years ago so dug it out and had a fiddle. After a few mistakes I managed to form a nice neat bead of solder on the dodgy joint and then tested the contact to make sure it was secure. After reassembling the switch casing it was bingo!!! Yes, it's all working perfectly again and after all these years I can chalk up my first success with a soldering iron.
Old 21-11-2015, 14:51   #360
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Not so much fixed but serviced the gas fire in the lounge today. Mainly a matter of checking that all the dust, cobwebs etc are removed from the air intakes and flue plus removing the jets, cleaning the holes out with a soft copper wire and then refitting.

Burner array is nice and clean but it could do with a new set of radiants. Still ready to use now and we'll need it with it turning cold. Got the centre burner on and the radiant is fully glowing.