Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Space 2099

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Entertainment > Television
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Space 2099

Old 11-02-2012, 00:07   #1
geminian68
Inactive

Services: VM: V.I.P, 50mb.
geminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of lightgeminian68 is a glorious beacon of light
Space 2099

Quote:
They've been rebooted, re-imagined and uncut, but now Space 1999 is getting its own on-screen revival next to sci-fi classics Battlestar Galactica, Star Trek and Star Wars.

ITV Studios America and HDFilms are reported to be developing Space: 2099, a "contemporary re-imagination" of the Saturday morning staple from the Gerry and Sylvia Anderson power duo who gave us the stylish and practical Eagle transporter and a generation of men unable to resist the temptation to turn any harmless staple gun they found laying around into a sidearm.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/02...e_imagination/
geminian68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-02-2012, 01:47   #2
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Re: Space 2099

If its true, I hope they base it off the first series, which was far better than the second series.

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2012, 12:08   #3
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

Any uniform with flares gets my vote.
Old 13-02-2012, 14:33   #4
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Won't people wearing that uniform get burnt if they go off?
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 15:45   #5
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

They have to keep the Eagles. They have to keep the Eagles. I don't think there's ever been a more practical design, as the entire Eagle is constructed from modular parts, making it adaptable and easy to maintain. The Eagle design is as iconic as UFO's Interceptors were. It always looked as if it would actually work.

From a fan who was a fan the first time it was shown, here's hoping they get it right!
Old 20-02-2012, 15:58   #6
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
They have to keep the Eagles. They have to keep the Eagles. I don't think there's ever been a more practical design, as the entire Eagle is constructed from modular parts, making it adaptable and easy to maintain. The Eagle design is as iconic as UFO's Interceptors were. It always looked as if it would actually work.

From a fan who was a fan the first time it was shown, here's hoping they get it right!
While the guy in charge of the series says he cannot confirm or deny anything about the content, in the interview I read, he advised people to look at the posters (a small one is attached).

If you look in the bottom left hand corner of the poster, there is the head of something that looks distinctly like an updated Eagle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg space_2099_poster_a_p.jpg (59.7 KB, 25 views)
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 16:12   #7
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

I remember watching this in South Africa when I was very young.. Dubbed into Afrikaans I had no idea what they were saying but marvelled at the special effects

Even it's name at the time was cool in Afrikaans "Alpha negentien nege-en-neëntig (alpha 1999"
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 16:17   #8
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
While the guy in charge of the series says he cannot confirm or deny anything about the content, in the interview I read, he advised people to look at the posters (a small one is attached).

If you look in the bottom left hand corner of the poster, there is the head of something that looks distinctly like an updated Eagle.
The new eagle looks a lot wider from this other picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg space_2099-eagle-pic3.jpg (41.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 20-02-2012, 16:24   #9
Stuart
-

Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
I remember watching this in South Africa when I was very young.. Dubbed into Afrikaans I had no idea what they were saying but marvelled at the special effects

Even it's name at the time was cool in Afrikaans "Alpha negentien nege-en-neëntig (alpha 1999"
I've been watching old eps on You Tube. While the acting is a little dodgy, the costumes look a little dated and the sets look old fashioned (but still oddly futuristic), the model work still looks excellent.

Oh, and I've just found series 1 is available on Amazon on Blu Ray (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-1999-C...9754765&sr=1-1)

---------- Post added at 16:24 ---------- Previous post was at 16:23 ----------

Quote:
The new eagle looks a lot wider from this other picture
It does.
Old 20-02-2012, 17:20   #10
Osem
Inactive

Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars
Osem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered starsOsem is seeing silvered stars

2099 eh? I wonder if they're going to be as far out with respect to technological progress etc. this time as they were last time.
Osem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 10:09   #11
12noon
Inactive

Services: TiVo
12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice12noon is just really nice

I'll watch it when it comes on telly, but i wish they had done UFO instead.
12noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:04   #12
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars

I think UFO would also be fantastic to update.

In regards to 2099, I hope they keep a riff of the original theme tune, that was the coolist theme tune on telly.
Old 28-02-2012, 12:43   #13
Kymmy
Inactive

Problem with UFO is that most of the storylines were the same.. At least with Space1999 you had different worlds and craft to visit as the moon went through space.. I suppose though that with the remake it'll have to be a reoccurring wormhole (failed experiment or something like that) the moon would go through otherwise they'd be a bit crushed by the acceleration to light speed and it would have to accelerate/decelerate every solar system the came across
Old 28-02-2012, 13:07   #14
Stuart
-

Quote:
Problem with UFO is that most of the storylines were the same.. At least with Space1999 you had different worlds and craft to visit as the moon went through space.. I suppose though that with the remake it'll have to be a reoccurring wormhole (failed experiment or something like that) the moon would go through otherwise they'd be a bit crushed by the acceleration to light speed and it would have to accelerate/decelerate every solar system the came across
I was watching old eps on Space 1999 on Youtube the other day..

I will say that some of the modelwork still looks excellent, even on a 40 inch screen. However, a lot of the "science" in the series was, at best, a little implausible, and at worst, totally impossible. However, in the early 70s, I think they could get away with that because every Sci Fi series seemed to use wildly inaccurate science.

Now, we've had a few series that have at least tried to introduce correct science (TNG, for all it's faults, was apparently quite good at this), so I think the fans will expect the storylines to be at least vaguely plausible.
Old 28-02-2012, 14:04   #15
Paul
Dr Pepper Addict
Cable Forum Team

Services: Flextel SIP : Sky Mobile : Sky Q TV : VM BB (1000 Mbps) : Aquiss FTTP (900 Mbps)
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars
Paul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered starsPaul is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
I think UFO would also be fantastic to update.
Aren't they currently making a film based on UFO ?

Baby, I was born this way.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote