Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Lifestyle

The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

Old 03-08-2018, 14:58   #13171
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Services: tv phone mobile broadband V6 and tivo.
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star
Re: The Happy Thought Thread Part 4

He got the job at Home Bargains

His induction day is on Tuesday 1 pm - 5 pm and he is delighted he will be working 16 hours split over 4 hours shifts.

If Tesco gets back to him and offer him the job then I think he is going to take Tesco as it's fewer hours for more pay but that call is his and his alone whatever he decides we will be standing by him, at least he has a job and that's all that matters.

I had a wee chuckle as he mentioned his pocket and would he still be getting it or would it now be stopped and being the big bad Mum that I am I said yes and no my exact words were now your working I'm going to half your pocket money to £10.00 a week are you ok with that and we both agreed this was a fair compromise.

Hubby and I had already discussed the pocket money situation if he were to be offered a job and decided that since he will still be in school it would be wrong to totally stop it after all he is a good son who works hard in school and never gives us a spot of bother tbh.

Last edited by weenie; 03-08-2018 at 15:06.
weenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2018, 16:51   #13172
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

@ weenie. Pat on the back to number 2 son.

We told Peter that we expected him to contribute half his wages, from his first Saturday job in a Coffee Shop, to the household costs he actually believed us and handed over the money. That's when we realised what a thoughtful young man he had become.

I will never forget the look on his face when we handed it back to him along with his normal pocket money. If we had known just how many tips he would get from all the old ladies who wanted to have him as a grandson we may have thought twice. Boy did he rake in the £s .
Old 03-08-2018, 17:36   #13173
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

weenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny starweenie has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by joglynne View Post
@ weenie. Pat on the back to number 2 son.

We told Peter that we expected him to contribute half his wages, from his first Saturday job in a Coffee Shop, to the household costs he actually believed us and handed over the money. That's when we realised what a thoughtful young man he had become.

I will never forget the look on his face when we handed it back to him along with his normal pocket money. If we had known just how many tips he would get from all the old ladies who wanted to have him as a grandson we may have thought twice. Boy did he rake in the £s .

Oh my goodness Tesco has just called and offered him the job and he accepted, his induction is tomorrow morning at 9 am. Honestly, I'm sitting here with a huge grin on my face £9.62 an hour wow that's fantastic for a 16-year-old IMHO.

Home Bargains 16 hours contract split over 4 hour shifts over a 7 day week = £83.52
Tesco 9.5 hours contract Saturday & Sunday 13:00 - 18:00 = £91.39

It really was a no-brainer really in what job he would take if offered between the two but as I have said the choice was his and his alone and IMO he made the right one as Tesco will not interfere with his beloved RAF Cadets (Monday & Thursday) evenings. He wanted to contact Home Bargains now but on the advice, his big brother has given him he will not be contacting Home Bargains until he has done the Tesco induction tomorrow this way he knows what his job will fully entail at Tesco.

BEST NEWS EVER TWO INTERVIEW'S AND TWO JOB OFFERS THAT'S MA BOY

Last edited by weenie; 03-08-2018 at 17:46.
Old 03-08-2018, 19:14   #13174
joglynne
Born again teenager.

Services: Maxit TV, M250 Fibre BB. Phone-Anytime Chatter
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura
joglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aurajoglynne has a golden aura

@ weenie.

Well done that boy.
Old 05-08-2018, 14:54   #13175
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

Up in the beer garden today a wasp went straight in my beer. Hoicked it out and it fell down a slot in the table only to be captured by a spider and swiftly trussed.

I was going to swat it with the paper but being slowly sucked dry by a spider is a much better end.
Old 05-08-2018, 16:06   #13176
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

My youngest loved his induction day and contract whereas I'm pleased he enjoyed his 1st day but this Tesco Flexi contract concerns me slightly and I have a niggling doubt about what he said his available hours are.
Old 06-08-2018, 15:49   #13177
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

I have just phoned Home Bargains and spoke to the manager (Heather) explaining that my youngest cannot take the job and she is going to keep his induction day open tomorrow and if he does turn up then she will inform head office that he was offered another position at Tesco in which he accepted. The good news is she will not hold this against him should things not work out at Tesco and he has to let her know if and when he wants a job at Home Bargains she then went on to say that she know's him as he comes in the store some day's during his lunch break and that she finds him a well mannered and is always courteous as she said that she has a policy that school kids leave their bag at the door and that my son along with the group he runs about with was one of the few that did this without any backchat or problem, that made me feel good as a parent we don't really know what our kids are like with there friends all we can do is hope they remember what we have taught them and not bow down to peer pressure.

I have always said to both my boy's manners cost nothing and speak volumes and when out and about with your friends always act if I'm in earshot and can see you

In regards to Tesco I discussed my concerns with Heather and she said that is why she would only offer him a fixed part-time contract of 12 hours with the added agreement that during Exam time he only needs to do 8 hours she also agreed that he needs to remove Monday & Tuesday from the flexi contract with Tesco.

At least he has not burnt his bridges with Home Bargains thankfully as I can see him working there if Tesco flings in our opinion too many additional hours to him.

I suppose we will just have to wait and see if Tesco will allow him to remove Monday and Tuesday from his additional days if not and we feel his education is suffering or it's too much for him then we will discuss it with him as we will not allow his education to suffer we have not failed him as parent to date and don't intend to start now.

Gosh being a parent is hard at times but thankfully always rewarding IMO

Last edited by weenie; 06-08-2018 at 15:55.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:24   #13178
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Looking forward to a 6 day stay at Mullion caravan park later in September as all the family finally decided where we were all going to meet up for the holiday and then for 10 days we are going up to Hampshire to stay with our parents for 10 days.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:34   #13179
Tinky
To err is human

Services: yearly MOT
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars
Tinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny starsTinky has a pair of shiny stars

@ weenie you are obviously caring parents, things have a way of working themselves out in the long run I find, given time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Looking forward to a 6 day stay at Mullion caravan park later in September as all the family finally decided where we were all going to meet up for the holiday and then for 10 days we are going up to Hampshire to stay with our parents for 10 days.

Oh nice one Den, something good to look forward to. Hope the weather holds for you as it makes such a difference.
Tinky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 15:12   #13180
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

@ Tinky thank you, he is at work atm getting trained on the tills and while there he going to ask if possible that his additional day's of Monday & Tuesday be removed as he needs day's to focus on his schooling, he is just going to be truthful and tell them that he never fully understood that he was basically contracting himself to these day's he just thought he was writing what day's and times he would be available for overtime when needed he did not know that by stating these day's he was committing himself fully to Tesco with no get out clause as this would become part of his contract.

My youngest got his exam results today and it's what we expected tbh he failed Biology & Graphic Communication no surprise it was subjects he was made to do and he really did them with no passion at all, in fact, he hated them so it was not a shock when he told us he would not be focusing on them as he saw them as a waste of his time as these two subjects have no bearing to his chosen career as a secondary school teacher. The subjects he wants to teach are Drama & Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies.

I did feel sorry for him today as he was really disappointed at getting a B in Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies he thought he would get an A but knowing my son this will make him more focused to do better in Highers as his Mother I'm delighted and I personally think a B is fab. I did try and tell him that a B was a fantastic mark but he just said but Mum I'm capable of an A, I do feel he put's far too much pressure on himself at times and just wish he would not be so hard on himself tbh but he has been that way since he was a toddler he had to do it himself I remember he would accept no help in tying his shoelaces I don't know how many times he made me late by doing this lol and then God love him, 9 times out of 10 his dinner would be cold by the time he ate it as he wanted to cut his own dinner whereas his brother would always take the easy option and accept help.

I think his Dad and I will be getting a tutor in to help with his Maths this year as this is his weakness but will need to ask him if he is ok with that, after all, we did this for our eldest as Maths was also his Achilles heel but with the help of a tutor he passed his higher and look where he is now in his dream job

Drama National 5 award A
English National 5 award A
Graphic Communication National 5 award F
History National 5 award B
Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies National 5 award B
Mathematics National 4 award P
Spanish National 5 award P
Old 07-08-2018, 15:34   #13181
nashville
nashville

Services: Virgin Media
nashville has a nice shiny star
nashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny starnashville has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Good news Den. You will be looking forward to the breaks, Hope you are feeling a lot better, Nash
nashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 16:37   #13182
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

Quote:
It's lovely when family get together den, you enjoy den you deserve the break after your recent hospital stays etc.
Old 07-08-2018, 19:51   #13183
heero_yuy
Perfect Soldier

Services: VM 500M SH3 thingy in modem mode XL TV V6 Sony Bravia smart TV and M phone
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars
heero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered starsheero_yuy is seeing silvered stars

In the eternal battle of man vs wasp. Today, man won. Twice.
Old 07-08-2018, 20:01   #13184
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashville View Post
Good news Den. You will be looking forward to the breaks, Hope you are feeling a lot better, Nash
Thank you nash as it will be nice for the family to have some time together as unforeseen circumstances have made that pretty hard thus so far this year.

---------- Post added at 19:01 ---------- Previous post was at 18:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by weenie View Post
It's lovely when family get together den, you enjoy den you deserve the break after your recent hospital stays etc.
Thanks weenie as we certainly are looking forward to the family get together.
Old 08-08-2018, 14:06   #13185
weenie
Believe in yourself ...

My son spoke to his manager who arranged a meeting with the store manager and I'm pleased to say after looking at his application he has removed his additional days Monday and Tuesday, all's well that ends well

My son did say that the store manager was extremely understanding in regards to his education and has totally put his mind at rest, the manager also said that looking at his application he had made it crystal clear in his application that he will prioritise his education and as a company Tesco respects that, he also said that personally, he has never met a more focused 16-year-old in his life and bless my son he apologised for this and the manager said no son that's a compliment.

Last edited by weenie; 08-08-2018 at 14:19.