Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Old 08-01-2016, 20:30   #6211
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Stick it on the Bike channel..
Mad Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-01-2016, 21:15   #6212
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
l would rather pay a bit more to watch sport as basically they don't take sport very seriously on Terrestrial TV and treat it more as a irritating sideshow thus l prefer proper professional sports channels dedicated to sports rather then the amateurish approach taken to it on Terrestrial TV on a regular basis.
'Bit' more! Are you serious? Do you consider the current cost of Premium sports channels a 'bit'?
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 21:19   #6213
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by passingbat View Post
'Bit' more! Are you serious? Do you consider the current cost of Premium sports channels a 'bit'?
aye it must be awful for a non sports fan. to me the price hike i can excuse the last two for bt sport europe which is brilliant for me. when i say brilliant my bill has gone up by 8 quid and id have paid a tenner for it. To anyone who doesnt like sport its awful. and the next price hike if it brings nothing is awful as its no longer making sense.

i've been on this forum 9 years. i was 21 when i joined. jesus.
vincerooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 21:20   #6214
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
So if its a sport then put it on a sports channel....
Oh come on Den you are being rather grumpy. Next you'll be saying the upcoming free to air spring / summer of sport featuring the Grand National, The French Open, The FA Cup final, The Olympics, Euro 2016, Wimbledon and selected F1 races should all be on either SKY, BT Sports or Eurosport
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 22:15   #6215
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Not in my opinion as if that was the case then why has it not shown any sport in its 9 years as its remit was for a certain type of programme/series and Dave like Yesterday and several others channels is veering far too far from the remit of what the channel should be showing in my opinion.
Dave's previous strapline was (and may still be) "The home of witty banter" which I'm not sure boxing is! However, Dave's male orientated audience should be a good fit for the sport.
Why has Dave not shown any sport before? Probably cost. But one reason that may have encouraged Dave to show the match is Channel 5. UK TV has positioned itself against the Channel 5 Group of channels and stated that it has more viewers. It needs to maintain this margin and this is a good opportunity to do so. The most likely competitor for the match was probably not a pay TV station like Box Nation (extra £11pm) but a Channel 5 group channel namely Channel 5 or Spike.
1andrew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 04:44   #6216
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Quote:
Its certainly far better value then puffing away on a fag all the time or getting extremely inebriated come the weekend PB.

---------- Post added at 04:44 ---------- Previous post was at 04:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Oh come on Den you are being rather grumpy. Next you'll be saying the upcoming free to air spring / summer of sport featuring the Grand National, The French Open, The FA Cup final, The Olympics, Euro 2016, Wimbledon and selected F1 races should all be on either SKY, BT Sports or Eurosport
Sport has been on the non pay TV channels since l was a young nipper but seriously its certainly not the right fit for the home of witty banter unless you think differently old boy.
Old 09-01-2016, 09:30   #6217
passingbat
Inactive

Services: Virgin 100 meg BB, Talk More Anytime Phone, Mix TV, V6.
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze
passingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronzepassingbat is cast in bronze

Quote:
Its certainly far better value then puffing away on a fag all the time or getting extremely inebriated come the weekend PB..
So you think the only reason people can't afford a pay TV sports subscription is because they spend their money on beer and fags? The Daily Mail must love you!

You seem oblivious to the fact that some people don't have enough money to spend on either. For those people, sport on Freeview, when so many sports events have disappeared from Freeview and gone to pay TV, is pretty good.
passingbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:09   #6218
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

l don't read that rubbish so maybe that's one of your own imagination PB.

l am not oblivious to the fact that some cannot afford fags or alcohol or the fact that many sports have disappeared from Freeview but some of the sport that has disappeared off Freeview TV has been of their own making in my book.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:34   #6219
Anypermitedroute
Inactive

Services: Virgin TIVO XL package & Sky Movies and Sports HD XXL broadband & superhub
Anypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of QuadsAnypermitedroute has a fine set of Quads
Quote:
l don't read that rubbish so maybe that's one of your own imagination PB.

l am not oblivious to the fact that some cannot afford fags or alcohol or the fact that many sports have disappeared from Freeview but some of the sport that has disappeared off Freeview TV has been of their own making in my book.

---------- Post added at 10:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 ----------

So why criticise Dave for taking an opportunity to show something different to the freeview massives and in HD, I really struggle to understand why you called it "pathetic", variety is the spice of life and ember a a little.

Alternatively vote with your viewing and don't watch it but give it a chance I say before judging sir, you may like it.

To give an example recently Box office boxing of fury match was only SD and £18 or so I am more than happy for a free match
Anypermitedroute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 10:52   #6220
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Until we see Dave's presentation of the event, we can't judge how good or bad it was. Someone like Chad should provide us with some useful insight here.
If Spike was showing the match, I wonder what the reaction on this forum would be?

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

Quote:
I think £300 or more a year comes under the "more" category not the "bit more category".
Old 09-01-2016, 10:58   #6221
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Until we see Dave's presentation of the event, we can't judge how good or bad it was. Someone like Chad should provide us with some useful insight here.
If Spike was showing the match, I wonder what the reaction on this forum would be?

Well this is where things might fall down lol. Both David Haye and Dave have suggested they're going to package and present the show differently to your typical boxing show. I know for sure there's going to be live music but I don't know the bands involved.

---------- Post added at 10:52 ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 ----------

I think £300 or more a year comes under the "more" category not the "bit more category".

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I don't know how I've manged to make the above post look so silly?
Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 12:24   #6222
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Smile Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post

---------- Post added at 10:58 ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 ----------

I don't know how I've manged to make the above post look so silly?
Ha ha.
Sounds like it may be more like how ATP treats tennis than Wimbledon does.
Old 09-01-2016, 16:29   #6223
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

The future of Box Nation

Meanwhile, Box Nation filed its accounts last month for the year to March 2015.
Key points:
- Company reported a loss of £1.7m, revenue was not reported.
- Company was looking to raise another £5m. This investment would put the company on the road to profitability for year ending March 2017
If not, its Plan B was to "generate steady income based on providing content at a sustainable cost".
- The company's auditors say that there is material uncertainty which may cast doubt on the company's ability to continue as a going concern.
https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/c...filing-history

The recent move onto Freeview seems to suggest that the company got a cash injection enabling it to expand but there are no filings at Companies House to support this. However, I can't see Freeview making a significant difference to its revenue.
Talk of overseas expansion seems to have ended.
Old 10-01-2016, 17:46   #6224
missme
Inactive

missme is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All

I'm new to this and just got Big Kahuna package complete with Sky Sports and Movies.

My Question is does anyone have any idea if BT Sport ESPN will be showing NHRA Drag racing this year and future years, as ESPN America has lost their Contract to Fox Sports and BTSport ESPN used to show the qualifying and the Sunday 'Race Day' in quite long Telecasts.

Any news would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
missme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 13:29   #6225
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by missme View Post
Hi All

I'm new to this and just got Big Kahuna package complete with Sky Sports and Movies.

My Question is does anyone have any idea if BT Sport ESPN will be showing NHRA Drag racing this year and future years, as ESPN America has lost their Contract to Fox Sports and BTSport ESPN used to show the qualifying and the Sunday 'Race Day' in quite long Telecasts.

Any news would be appreciated

Thanks in advance
If you've not already done so, it's worthwhile asking this question over on the BT ESPN thread over on Digital Spy too. As that forum covers all providers it should have more and different users.