Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Please document any V6 issues here.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service

Please document any V6 issues here.

Old 11-01-2018, 13:49   #361
carbon60
Needs more upload

Services: TiVo V6, TiVo 500GB, Samsung V Box, Full House TV + Sky Sports SD, VIVID 200, Talk Weekends Phone
carbon60 is on a distinguished roadcarbon60 is on a distinguished road
Re: Please document any V6 issues here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
I think that's down to the hard drives used.

My understanding is that the older TiVo uses 3.5" desktop hard drives, and the V6 boxes use 2.5" laptop drives.

So Laptop drives are almost always quieter than desktop drives.
A lot of the time the 500GB TiVo is silent, it is just sometimes that it makes the loud noise. It is loud enough that a visitor recently commented on it.

---------- Post added at 12:49 ---------- Previous post was at 12:16 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It might just be the surface on which the TiVo rests. You might like to think about putting some sort of padding underneath the box to dampen the noise.
Indeed, it could be the vibration of the hard drive going through the wooden TV stand.
carbon60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2018, 10:15   #362
jonbxx
cf.mega poster

Services: VM VIP Pack
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal
jonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appealjonbxx has a bronzed appeal

Blu Tack is very good at decoupling vibrations. It's used a lot to prevent vibrations from speakers going through stands
jonbxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 15:37   #363
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb66 View Post
Does your amp have any non 4k ports?
Sadly not, I checked the spec sheet of it and every port is 4k/HDCP 2.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderplant View Post
Try disabling the 2160p resolutions in the Video Output Formats setting screen on the V6.
I'll give this a shot, I wasn't aware you could disable it. I suspect it won't work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
I had the very same problem with my Yamaha amp, in the end I had to get this. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I still get DD5.1 via the V6 box, so all good in the end.
Good to know there's a box to do it "properly" but I don't fancy paying £50 (or anything) for the privilege of bypassing some crummy DRM
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 16:20   #364
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

What's the model of your Amp?

Also I'd think the other way to do it if you can is to connect the Virgin TV V6 box directly to one of the HDMI ports on the TV, and then connect your Amp the port on your TV that supports HDMI ARC.

That'll ensure you can still route audio through your Amp when watching TV (as the TV will route the audio coming from the V6 back down the HDMI cable to the Amp), but won't then cause you the HDCP error as the V6 will use the right HDCP for your TV.

Last edited by BenMcr; 12-01-2018 at 16:23.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 15:15   #365
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

An odd one this. Over the last few weeks my V6 has begun recording multiple versions of certain shows. It has now recorded the same episode of Live at the Apollo on BBC2 HD twice - the original and the repeat - and Royal Academy: Painting the Future on Sky Arts HD twice. Looking at my planned recordings I can see that more repeats of this last show are there. Both are series linked (even though the Royal Academy seems to be a one-off) and marked as record new only. Not a big deal and better than missing recordings but odd all the same. Anyone else experiencing similar?
heavyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 16:25   #366
scollie
cf.member

scollie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyside View Post
An odd one this. Over the last few weeks my V6 has begun recording multiple versions of certain shows. It has now recorded the same episode of Live at the Apollo on BBC2 HD twice - the original and the repeat - and Royal Academy: Painting the Future on Sky Arts HD twice. Looking at my planned recordings I can see that more repeats of this last show are there. Both are series linked (even though the Royal Academy seems to be a one-off) and marked as record new only. Not a big deal and better than missing recordings but odd all the same. Anyone else experiencing similar?
Yes - we also had Live At The Apollo recorded twice. Not had this happen for any other shows.
scollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 16:56   #367
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

Are you referring to the episodes on 11 and 13 Jan on BBC2?

If not can you let me have the dates to check the original BBC2 listings?
Quote:
Originally Posted by scollie View Post
Yes - we also had Live At The Apollo recorded twice. Not had this happen for any other shows.
ozsat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 17:21   #368
scollie
cf.member

scollie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
Are you referring to the episodes on 11 and 13 Jan on BBC2?

If not can you let me have the dates to check the original BBC2 listings?
Yes - I've just checked my deleted folder and it was the episodes you mention
scollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 17:27   #369
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

They were treated as two different episodes because the one of the 11th was a 30 minute episode, while the one on 13th was an extended 45 minute version.

BBC treat these as different episodes.
Old 17-01-2018, 17:42   #370
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
They were treated as two different episodes because the one of the 11th was a 30 minute episode, while the one on 13th was an extended 45 minute version.

BBC treat these as different episodes.
It's odd that they don't title them differently though - they do for both 'Have I Got A Little More News For You' and 'QI XL'
Old 17-01-2018, 17:53   #371
heavyside
cf.geek

heavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to beholdheavyside is a splendid one to behold

The Royal Academy: Painting the Future shows on Sky Arts HD are definitely identical shows marked as 'record new only' and recorded twice (so far) in the same folder and down for the repeats to be recorded too. Odd.
Old 17-01-2018, 19:08   #372
ozsat
cf.mega poster

This was due to Sky adding Series 1 Episode 1 to the later showing - even though it was actually a one off.

The S1 E1 was then dropped from even later repeats - so TiVo has no idea what is new or old.
Quote:
The Royal Academy: Painting the Future shows on Sky Arts HD are definitely identical shows marked as 'record new only' and recorded twice (so far) in the same folder and down for the repeats to be recorded too. Odd.

---------- Post added at 18:08 ---------- Previous post was at 18:02 ----------

They are not consistent - Top of the Pops is usually two different versions per episode. The late night version being un-cut but the 7.30pm version being trimmed down to 30 minutes with between one and three acts removed.

TiVo has the correct line up to match the edits - but it would be useful if the BBC provide something in the synopsis to show it is a cut or re-edited version.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMcr View Post
It's odd that they don't title them differently though - they do for both 'Have I Got A Little More News For You' and 'QI XL'
Old 17-01-2018, 23:59   #373
spankysmagicpian
cf.geek

Services: Ultimate Oomph although there is nothing ultimate or oomph about it.
spankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these partsspankysmagicpian is just so famous around these parts

Quote:
I noticed this - not on Sky Arts though. I have never delved into the recording options of Tivo but set a series link for 'UFO' on ForcesTV. I looked at the options and set it to new (episodes?) only. It has recorded each one, shown so far, twice.
spankysmagicpian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2018, 15:18   #374
heavyside
cf.geek

Curious. Yesterday two channels vanished from my favourites list, a Sky Sports HD channel and a Eurosport HD channel and I needed to re-select them to put them back. Now today I noticed that BBC 4 HD had vanished. This happened to both my V6 boxes. I am wondering if this has something to do with the switch to MPEG 4 that's been mentioned elsewhere on the forum or is it indicative of a problem?
Old 25-01-2018, 15:27   #375
spiderplant
cf.mega poster

spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars
spiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny starsspiderplant has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
I am wondering if this has something to do with the switch to MPEG 4
That's very likely
spiderplant is offline   Reply With Quote