Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 18-03-2008, 22:41   #1396
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I threw the towel in yesterday, after 7 years, for virgin even considering this. Their contempt for their customers is clear.

Forgive me if this question is slightly off topic, but it is a consequence of virgin cozying up to phorm, and this forum seems to be very well informed.

Does anybody know if I can insist on these cretins removing their (shallowly buried)cables from my property when my notice period expires?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
Advertisement
Old 18-03-2008, 22:47   #1397
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...egal/comments/
"
80/20 Thinking report

By Anonymous Coward
Posted Tuesday 18th March 2008 21:16 GMT
...is here:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...20final%20.pdf
"
Far from the positive spin put on it by Phorm...

Quote:
However, despite our positive findings regarding Phorm’s approach to privacy protection we are disappointed that the company has not benefited from an earlier implementation of a PIA. While we are encouraged that Ernst & Young were engaged to perform a privacy examination, the full scope and influence of an “early intervention” PIA has not been possible. At this late stage of product development it will not be possible to fully exploit the value of a PIA.

We broadly agree with the positive findings of the 2007 Ernst & Young privacy examination, but remain concerned that the scope of that report was based almost exclusively on conditions applying to the US privacy environment. Public sensitivities, regulatory conditions and other factors vary substantially according to
geographical location.
Old 18-03-2008, 22:52   #1398
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

and if you can find the time, the rules that need to be followed for that Privacy Impact Assessment (PIA) is here
http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...l/1-intro.html

did they follow all the provisions ?

i wonder

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documen...preparing.html

"...
2. Undertake a stakeholder analysis

Those who may see themselves as 'having a stake' in the project should be identified at an early stage. This may include:
  • the organisation conducting the project, and perhaps also various sub-organisations within it;
  • other organisations directly involved in the project;
  • organisations and individuals that are intended to benefit from it;
  • organisations and individuals that may be affected by it, and possibly
  • organisations that provide technology and services to enable it
It is advisable to document the results of the stakeholder analysis in an appropriate form, most likely a one-page summary.
"
Old 18-03-2008, 23:11   #1399
JackSon
Inactive

Services: Freeview, BT Ultrafast Fibre 2
JackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to beholdJackSon is a splendid one to behold

It's rather shocking at how many recommendations made by the 80/20 report have been more or less ignored by Phorm. Not surprisingly they put it through a 'good news' parser before they read it.

Recmmendations in that report such as transparency about the intent and the technology, making a permanent opt-out to avoid profiling technology - listening to those would have done them sooooo many favours.
Old 18-03-2008, 23:17   #1400
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
I threw the towel in yesterday, after 7 years, for virgin even considering this. Their contempt for their customers is clear.

Forgive me if this question is slightly off topic, but it is a consequence of virgin cozying up to phorm, and this forum seems to be very well informed.

Does anybody know if I can insist on these cretins removing their (shallowly buried)cables from my property when my notice period expires?

sure, once the contract is finished , they cant keep their property on yours if you dont want it there , your land ,your rules.

if in the future you want it back though, tables are then turned, they dont have to put it back....
Old 18-03-2008, 23:31   #1401
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

I gave up on VM after almost 15 yrs phone then Internet since 2000, just do not want to have them anymore. the cables are around 4ft down and uner my garden so will just ignore the fact they are there and put a planter over the box outside wuth an evergreen plant in.
Old 18-03-2008, 23:36   #1402
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

I've just started reading that pdf, and the first thought that came to me was - how did the Phorm Boss confuse 80/20 Thinking with Privacy International. The document mentions 80/20 Thinking a total of 31 times, including in the Introduction, this statement which cannot in any way be misunderstood -
Quote:
Phorm Inc has engaged 80/20 Thinking Ltd to deliver a Privacy Impact Assessment
Also, interestingly, Privacy International are not mentioned even once! Sorry Mr Phorm boss, I don't believe that you made a innocent mistake, you knew exactly what you were saying.
Old 18-03-2008, 23:49   #1403
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03...egal/comments/
"
80/20 Thinking report

By Anonymous Coward
Posted Tuesday 18th March 2008 21:16 GMT
...is here:
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technolo...20final%20.pdf
"
Thanks Popper - I've saved that pdf.

It seems the report has posed the same questions that many frustrated customers have been asking over the last few weeks. I wonder if they've had any more luck getting unequivocal answers?
Old 19-03-2008, 00:15   #1404
ceedee
cf.geek

Services: 100Mb VM Broadband
ceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond reputeceedee has a reputation beyond repute

The Guardian blog post that pdf comes from has some initial observations.
It'll be worth checking the comments (where reviews of the report are being posted) -- Simon Davies says he's got "some announcements that are imminent".

Wonder if he's having second thoughts?
Old 19-03-2008, 00:37   #1405
ginge51
Permanently Banned

Services: I'm on vm 10 meg
ginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to allginge51 is a name known to all

Can we cancel our vm contracts because of this?
Old 19-03-2008, 01:03   #1406
popper
Inactive

are you really suprised that Charles at the guardian got the report first, like i asked before, do you really trust him to report this properly, they are Phorm clients after all, Charles has been soft soaping this story from day one, and he or his team have been deleteing legal comment points according to some.

its not like they were going to give the register the scoop, so you have to ask if the more revealing posts havent even got aired on Charles so called tech blog.

you have to wonder why it was posted so late in the day too, perhaps they hope this so called 'some announcements that are imminent.' story will replace the report thread in the morning when all the markets and boardroom types are reading.

OC Simon Davies is going to talk his double talk there, especially after his AKA'ed co-worker (or was it really SD , we shall never know) blabed and insulted the reg thread ( i forget which one now, one of the early ones) posters.
Old 19-03-2008, 08:25   #1407
DipsTheOne
Inactive

Services: VM 4Mb :(
DipsTheOne is an unknown quantity at this point

I keep getting spam mail from asda, tesco and sainsburys and load more companys is this the PHORM ??? really doing my head in I open emial and there there waiting to suck me in lol.
Old 19-03-2008, 08:42   #1408
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

I see BT have now stopped answering any questions on Phorm in this and any other thread.

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...t=270&tstart=0

Have you also noticed how Phorm seem to have stopped posting there lies on forums all over the Internet and have instead stopped posting answers full stop. ?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 19-03-2008, 08:43   #1409
lostandconfused
Inactive

Services: 2 X V+ XL TV XL BB XL Telco
lostandconfused has reached the bronze age
lostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze agelostandconfused has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post

Why would you cancel your services for a company thinking about doing something? I bet there are thousands of proposals that never get off the drawing board. Fair enough if they actually implement this, but if you've been reading this thread you'd have noticed that VM have gone very quiet on this and their logo has been removed from the phorm website which suggests that they are slowly backing away from it.

It sounds like you wanted to cancel anyway and are using this as an excuse as they havent made any changes, just suggestions.

Also they wont remove the cable, you can provided you dont damage the cable in the street but they wont send someone out to remove it for you.
Old 19-03-2008, 08:53   #1410
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
Why would you cancel your services for a company thinking about doing something? I bet there are thousands of proposals that never get off the drawing board. Fair enough if they actually implement this, but if you've been reading this thread you'd have noticed that VM have gone very quiet on this and their logo has been removed from the phorm website which suggests that they are slowly backing away from it.
That's my stance as well. I will cancel the second they implement this or send me a letter to say they are going to do it.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Closed Thread