Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 16-06-2008, 15:08   #9046
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dephormation View Post
Dephormation will be back shortly it can quickly and easily log fake cookie handling and unexpected redirects. Drop me a PM with your email if you're keen to have it now.
I didn't mean to give you any extra problem, but I thought you needed to know that it would a possible Security problem with Firefox 3 and that it was due for release tomorrow.

If a Website can detected the presence of Webwise, then the WebServer could politely redirect (with a small script) the user back to the Webwise system asking them to turn Webwise OFF.

This would have an added benefit as far as Website Owners are concerned in that the Load on the Webwise System would be increased.
Dependant of course on how many WebServers are blocking/redirecting Webwise.
Advertisement
Old 16-06-2008, 15:35   #9047
wecpc
Inactive

wecpc is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart C View Post
Not true. LLU ISPs should not be affected as they route via their own networks from the exchange.

Non-LLU ISPs may be affected if BT Wholesale do install Phorm (BT Retail is a reseller for BT Wholesale in much the same way as other Non-LLU ISPs). According to El Reg, it is rumoured that it is BT Wholesale installing the Phorm equipment.
Up until your comment above, it has always been stated everywhere that it was BT Retail that was going with PHORM and not BT Wholesale, but if the "According to El Reg, it is rumoured that it is BT Wholesale installing the Phorm equipment" is to be believed and I have not seen it myself on the El Reg site (could you post a link to it please), then nearly everyone (NON LLU) will be effected assuming VM goes with it as well.

I have just emailed O2 as I am on their 'ACCESS' package (NON LLU) as they have previously assured me the following "Thanks for your email. We don't currently use the PHORM system, and have no plans whatsoever to do so. I hope this make you feel safer about joining O2 Broadband." I have asked if they can look into it and let me know if the rumour is correct and if not make it clear to El Reg readers that it is not.

Colin
Old 16-06-2008, 15:42   #9048
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 11 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

I wrote to Brian Iddon MP, who's had a reply to his letter from Shriti Vadera (who?!) of the Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (the what now?). According to him/her/your guess is as good as mine, "the Government is committed to ensuring that people's privacy is fully protected."

Yeah. I'll pause briefly while the incredulous sardonic laughter dies down.

"Both the ICO and I have discussed with BT their plans to run a trial involving around 10,000 broadband users, and the company has confirmed their decision that customers' web browsing will only be monitored for subsequent delivery of advertisements if they decide to opt in to the trial."

- now why don't we believe them? And if this Shriti Vadera is such an apparently prominent figure here, why the hell haven't we heard of him/her/it before?
Then:

"BT have also told us that the system will not store personally identifiable information, URLs or IP addresses not retain browsing histories, and that search information will be deleted almost immediately and will not be retrievable later. The ICO will maintain close contact with Phorm and BT throughout the trial. Similarly any ISP putting Phorm into comercial use is going to need to deploy simiar safeguards to satisfy the ICO."

Nothing about satisfying us, though. Nor do I believe a word of it. Define "immediately", for a start - is that minutes after the info is gathered? Hours? Days? Weeks? What the hell does that mean?

Comments?
Old 16-06-2008, 15:49   #9049
bluecar1
Inactive

Services: No DPI Kit snooping on USERS
bluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about thembluecar1 has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymouse View Post
I wrote to Brian Iddon MP, who's had a reply to his letter from Shriti Vadera (who?!) of the Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (the what now?). According to him/her/your guess is as good as mine, "the Government is committed to ensuring that people's privacy is fully protected."

"Both the ICO and I have discussed with BT their plans to run a trial involving around 10,000 broadband users, and the company has confirmed their decision that customers' web browsing will only be monitored for subsequent delivery of advertisements if they decide to opt in to the trial."

- now why don't we believe them? And if this Shriti Vadera is such an apparently prominent figure here, why the hell haven't we heard of him/her/it before?
Then:

"BT have also told us that the system will not store personally identifiable information, URLs or IP addresses not retain browsing histories, and that search information will be deleted almost immediately and will not be retrievable later. The ICO will maintain close contact with Phorm and BT throughout the trial. Similarly any ISP putting Phorm into comercial use is going to need to deploy simiar safeguards to satisfy the ICO."

Nothing about satisfying us, though. Nor do I believe a word of it. Define "immediately", for a start - is that minutes after the info is gathered? Hours? Days? Weeks? What the hell does that mean?

Comments?
look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shriti_...aroness_Vadera

now why does that filled me with a feeling of "no confidence at all"

peter
Old 16-06-2008, 16:03   #9050
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
I didn't mean to give you any extra problem, but I thought you needed to know that it would a possible Security problem with Firefox 3 and that it was due for release tomorrow.

If a Website can detected the presence of Webwise, then the WebServer could politely redirect (with a small script) the user back to the Webwise system asking them to turn Webwise OFF.

This would have an added benefit as far as Website Owners are concerned in that the Load on the Webwise System would be increased.
Dependant of course on how many WebServers are blocking/redirecting Webwise.
I have 5 websites willing to use a script that can do this.
Old 16-06-2008, 16:13   #9051
NTLVictim
Inactive

Services: Finding people (retired)
NTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these partsNTLVictim is just so famous around these parts

Shriti Vadera...now there's a name to conjure with.

and get banned as a result.
Old 16-06-2008, 16:19   #9052
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Shriti Vadera

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...ti-Vadera.html

Sounds like a positively charming lady
Old 16-06-2008, 16:22   #9053
SelfProtection
Inactive

SelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about themSelfProtection has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
I have 5 websites willing to use a script that can do this.
The actual redirection doesn't in itself require scripting, but the problem is accurately detecting Webwise at the Server, particularly as the Web Server at present doesn't know what to detect if the cookie option is not used.

<meta http-equiv="REFRESH" content="3;url=http://www.webwise....."></HEAD>
<BODY>
This Site has Detected Webwise, Please Switch Webwise Off... !
Old 16-06-2008, 16:42   #9054
Ramrod
[NTHW] pc clan

Services: Amazon Prime Video & Netflix. Deregistered from my TV licence.
Ramrod has a golden aura
Ramrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden auraRamrod has a golden aura

Sorry if this has already been posted: British Telecom Phorm PageSense External Validation report
There is a pdf for d/l there, might be of interest to someone here
Old 16-06-2008, 17:08   #9055
Wild Oscar
cf.addict

Wild Oscar is on a distinguished roadWild Oscar is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Then:

Comments?
SNAP .. I too got a reply from my MP .. Paul Clark .. with a letter very similar to yours attached! In fact the last paragraph is word-for-word!

Also attached was a copy of the ICO 3 page document from here ..
http://www.ico.gov.uk/Home/about_us/...e_and_oie.aspx

Nothing new then .. just a 'cut-n-paste' standard reply sadly ..
Old 16-06-2008, 17:35   #9056
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelfProtection View Post
There are some utils I've developed that allow you to do just that.

I need to bring this stuff back online don't I? Shame the Information Commissioner hasn't resigned yet. That would make the decision so much easier.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Quote:
[FONT=Arial]I wrote to Brian Iddon MP, who's had a reply to his letter from Shriti Vadera (who?!) of the Department for Business Enterprise & Regulatory Reform (the what now?). According to him/her/your guess is as good as mine, "the Government is committed to ensuring that people's privacy is fully protected."
Comments?
Fully committed unless those people are web site owners who do not opt in to interception, or run unencrypted but private web servers, or expect to assert copyright over their creative work.

Which I guess would cover around 99.99% of web servers.

So my comment? That's not good enough DfBERR. Not good enough at all.

You can't build a new internet by stealing content and reselling it. You can't offer unlimited broadband because there is no such thing.

Dealing honestly with content owners, investing judiciously in your product, and being fair to end users is your only option. And ISPs seemingly can't handle that simple truth.

Pete.
Old 16-06-2008, 17:36   #9057
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
There are some utils I've developed that allow you to do just that.

I need to bring this stuff back online don't I? Shame the Information Commissioner hasn't resigned yet. That would make the decision so much easier.

---------- Post added at 16:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Fully committed unless those people do not opt in to interception, or run unencrypted but private web servers, or expect to assert copyright.

Which I guess would cover around 99.99% of web servers.

So my comment? That's not good enough DfBERR. Not good enough at all.

You can't build a new internet by stealing content and reselling it. You can't offer unlimited broadband because there is no such thing.

Dealing honestly with content owners, investing judiciously in your product, and being fair to end users is your only option. And ISPs seemingly can't handle that simple truth.

Pete.
Could leave up the resignation main page but make a link to go beyond and download the files etc. That way killing two birds with one stone so to speak
Old 16-06-2008, 17:43   #9058
Dephormation
Inactive

Services: Aquiss.net and loving it. No more Virgin Media, no more Virgin Phone, no more Virgin Mobile.
Dephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to allDephormation is a name known to all

Also, fully committed unless those people were unwittingly used as guinea pigs in secret trails.
Old 16-06-2008, 17:49   #9059
icsys
Inactive

Services: Virgin - BB,TV,Phone Sky box - with no sub Freeview - idtv
icsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really niceicsys is just really nice

Quote:
Also, fully committed unless those people were unwittingly used as guinea pigs in secret trails.
I think that's why there is a need to be able to detect webwise, in case it is deployed under stealth.
But surely BT isn't so arrogant (and stupid) enough to risk it?

But then again, as long as the ICO is inphormed...

Ph**m shares closed up 7% today at 1070.00
Old 16-06-2008, 17:56   #9060
Wildie
Inactive

Wildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enoughWildie will become famous soon enough

seems to me they want to hassle kids who in turn make demands on parents

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/...cle4066426.ece
not happy about that either.
Closed Thread