Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 18:52   #2296
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
That invitation has backfired on Phorm now hasn't it
It's a much better start to the weekend than PhormUKPRteam's weather report.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2008, 19:00   #2297
Bonglet
cf.addict

Bonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about themBonglet has a spectacular aura about them

How about if this jank ever see's the light of day we start a run of leaving virgin media like all the northern rock people did see what happens then .
Old 04-04-2008, 19:02   #2298
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonglet View Post
How about if this jank ever see's the light of day we start a run of leaving virgin media like all the northern rock people did see what happens then .
And go to BT who already have done the dirty...Sky which I would never do 'cos I hate Murdoch and all he stands for.Not a lot of choice left I'm afraid which I think they may be banking on.
Old 04-04-2008, 19:02   #2299
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
I can't possibly read all the posts but it is obvious from reading a cross-section that the general feeling is indignation and anger. As I've said, I'm undecided. I may or may not act as a guinea-pig if and when the time comes.

I think it is true that as soon as Internet privacy is mentioned, there does seem to be a knee-jerk reaction. It immediately throws up a barrier against any other point of view. Minds are made up and closed and that's that I suppose. Nothing that Virgin, Phorm or anyone else says is likely to be given house-room.
I read, watched and listened to everything I could lay my hands on from Phorm during their initial PR offensive and was prepared to hear them out and consider calmly what they were saying about privacy and anonymity.
Having done that, and undertaken further research (including reading the patent application for the webwise technology) I have decided that I do not want this system anywhere near my data. It is true that I have a predisposition towards not giving any personal data to anyone unless I consider there to be a very good reason to do so, and I also have a dislike of advertising generally, but I did not dismiss the possibility of participating in this scheme until I felt that I had all the facts (or, at least, as many as were being made available) Why is that a knee-jerk reaction?
Old 04-04-2008, 19:03   #2300
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I've just had an email from VM about them scrapping the premium rate tech support.

Quote:
And we’re not stopping there. It’s really important to us that you keep sending your feedback, good or bad! Although we can’t always reply individually, we promise we’ll always listen to what you tell us, and use your comments to make improvements where we can.

And we’ll always make sure that the people in our customer service teams see the comments about them, so they can work even harder to give you the great service you deserve.
So if you haven't already told them what you think of Phorm leave them some feedback, or you can send them the link to that new report by Richard Clayton
Old 04-04-2008, 19:09   #2301
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenheart View Post
.....or you can send them the link to that new report by Richard Clayton
Already posted in the feedback newsgroup

Old 04-04-2008, 19:11   #2302
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart44 View Post
Did you read the interview in its entirety (see post 2184)? I don't think it will affect your feelings on the issue but in the interest of at least hearing the other side out maybe?
Yes I read it.
Input = All web browsing data
Process = analyse and code to target ad sector
Output = database of cookie code | ad sector | timestamp
Output = Decode and debug database

To an extent I am not concerned about the output, he is right the outputs are largely anonymised data of limited use to anyone but the software serving ads on the OIX opted in sites.

The concern and the piece they keep skirting around is whether the input is personal data and whether the process itself is illegal under RIPA.

The secondary concern is that while now they say we don't have catagories for pron and ed and diabeties and don't scan https that does not mean that they cannot it means the do not and in the future a change to the code could mean they do.

The royal mail / post office is not allowed to open my mail, BT, VM etc are not allowed to wiretap my phone line, conceptually this is the same.
Old 04-04-2008, 19:23   #2303
Anonymouse
RIP Tigger - 12 years?!

Services: EE Superfast Broadband
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal
Anonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appealAnonymouse has a bronzed appeal

Richard Clayton's FIPR report states explicitly that the Webwise system uses DPI. Which means, beyond any possible debate, it is interception and therefore it is illegal. Is there any part of that which the I-don't-mind brigade don't get? How the hell can that be compared to WGA? The purpose of the profiling and the "anonymising" of the data are irrelevant - it's a freakin' crime. End of!
Old 04-04-2008, 19:31   #2304
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road

One can now add fraud to the list of probable illegal operations that the Phorm system makes. Assuming that is that 'pretending' to be a website (cnn.com in the given example) is fraud . . .
Old 04-04-2008, 19:32   #2305
Alex @ Phorm
Inactive

Alex @ Phorm is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. It's Alex @ Phorm

The ICO has posted its latest statement on Phorm, which includes the following:

"They assure us that their system does not allow the retention of individual profiles of sites visited and adverts presented, and that they hold no personally identifiable information on web users. Indeed, Phorm assert that their system has been designed specifically to allow the appropriate targeting of adverts whilst rigorously protecting the privacy of web users."

The full statement is here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/about_us/news_..._releases.aspx
Old 04-04-2008, 19:37   #2306
Raistlin
Inactive

Services: Depends on the person and the price they're offering
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars
Raistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered starsRaistlin is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex @ Phorm View Post
Hi. It's Alex @ Phorm

"They assure us that their system does not allow the retention of individual profiles of sites visited and adverts presented, and that they hold no personally identifiable information on web users. Indeed, Phorm assert that their system has been designed specifically to allow the appropriate targeting of adverts whilst rigorously protecting the privacy of web users."

The full statement is here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/about_us/news_..._releases.aspx
That quote doesn't tell us that the ICO think Phorm is ok, it tells us that Phorm have told them it's ok.....

In fact they make no recommendations about Phorm, they provide no opinions on Phorm, and they give no indication as to how the public feel about Phorm.

They simply repeat the same tired old junk that we've heard from Phorm, without giving any clear direction.
Old 04-04-2008, 19:38   #2307
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Quote:
Hi. It's Alex @ Phorm

All you are quoting is that which Phorm have told the ICO...
Old 04-04-2008, 19:39   #2308
kt88man
Inactive

kt88man is on a distinguished roadkt88man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi. It's Alex @ Phorm
And perhaps you would be so kind as to tell us what your role is. PR perhaps?
Old 04-04-2008, 19:42   #2309
JohnHorb

Services: 10MB Broadband, DTV, Telephone

Picked up by the beeb

http://newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7331493.stm

Old 04-04-2008, 19:43   #2310
SMHarman
Inactive

Services: Cablevision
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze
SMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronzeSMHarman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Hi. It's Alex @ Phorm

Thank you, without wanting to sound patronising, I think most of those contributing to this thread understand that Phorm does not allow the retention of indiviually identified data. The concern is how you get to that data, that involves reviewing lots and lots of individually identifiable data. It is the inputs and analysis, not the output that is the problem.
Closed Thread