Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Alternatives to Virgin Media > Freesat & Freeview
Register FAQ Community Calendar

B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

Old 11-07-2011, 16:39   #376
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

The transponders are on the satellites, each sat has many transponders and each transponder might deal with more than one channel.

The LNB (Low Noise Block Convertor) is a device at the end of the dish that takes the signal from the sat (about 10-11Ghz), amplifies it and then converts it into a lower signal (.09-1.2Ghz) that is then transmitted down the co-ax to the receiver. The LNB also is able to switch between polarizations (for example Horizontal or Vertical depending on the voltage supplied to it)

So in simple terms this is the path a signal takes from for example Sky to your box

Sky Offices >> Groundstation >> Receive transponder on Sat >> Transmit Transponder on Sat >> Your Dish's LNB >> Coax >> Sat Receiver
Kymmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2011, 18:00   #377
levi1989
Inactive

levi1989 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Data123 View Post
What box do you have?

if its the HDR-6110USB these a Firmware update at www.ross.co.uk

if you have the HDR-8130USB it should work OK you need to scan

10847 V
for BBC One HD & BBC HD

and

12607 V
for channel 4 HD
Thankyou for the reply, so once I have scanned how do I go about saving these channels or will it auto do that for me?

I have clicked save but I still have no Channel 4 HD or bbc ONE hd (I have bbc hd but not #1 hd)
levi1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2011, 17:11   #378
AZIMUTH
Inactive

AZIMUTH is on a distinguished roadAZIMUTH is on a distinguished road

BRILLIANT Kymmy,many thanks for the transponder explanation.sorry for the delay,,,,ive been muckspreading
AZIMUTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:38   #379
northendsoul
Inactive

northendsoul is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, bought one of these a few months back and have recently moved to south west scotland..a couple of weeks back we attempted to set this system up..we have the dish aligned to roughly the same angle as the other dishes on our road and also roughly to the readings taken from dishpointer.com.
however, despite my brother gradually moving the dish as i sit watching the screen..we cannot get the quality bar above zero..the signal strength reading is around the high 60s or low 70s.
we are novices at this game and dont know if we are missing something here or there is something faulty.. any ideas anyone ?
northendsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 09:40   #380
Kymmy
Inactive

Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars
Kymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny starsKymmy has a pair of shiny stars

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You're missing one thing.. A sat finder.. without one it can be like trying to find a needle in a small haystack. They're only £5-6 off ebay
Old 19-07-2011, 10:11   #381
northendsoul
Inactive

northendsoul is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: B&Q Satellite - Ross freesat box and dish

OK, thanks for that Kymmy
northendsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2011, 10:27   #382
Kymmy
Inactive

Don;t get me wrong you can do it without one but you have to go extremely slowly and remember that the signal meter spikes are delayed by a second or two. Best to start off in a position you know is definitely higher or lower and then move the dish very slowly from side to side (perhaps going a millimeter at a time) once you've done a sweep then drop/raise the dish a millimeter and do the horizontal sweep again.

It can take hours where with a sat finder it can take 10-20 minutes as you get an immediate visual and (depends on the meter) audible response to a signal.
Old 19-07-2011, 18:46   #383
Data123
Inactive

Data123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by northendsoul View Post
we have the dish aligned to roughly the same angle as the other dishes on our road and also roughly to the readings taken from dishpointer.com.
however, despite my brother gradually moving the dish as i sit watching the screen..we cannot get the quality bar above zero..the signal strength reading is around the high 60s or low 70.
Try doing a "Blind Scan" if you pick up any channel, have a look at http://en.kingofsat.net/ to find what satellite you are on, then move the dish left or right to find the one you are after.
Data123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 17:02   #384
noucmam

Just bought one of these sets in B&Q. I'm a complete newbie to satelites and havent even tried to set it up yet. Most of the channnels i'm after seem to be on Astra 2 28.2E and Eurobird 28.5E but i was hoping to pick up one channel (VTV4) on Hotbird 13E. Will it be possible to pick up channels from these satelites at the same time with this dish?
Old 29-07-2011, 17:17   #385
Kymmy
Inactive

You need one of three things (for 28.2 and 28.5 you only need one LNB)

1# A dual monoblock LNB (this is two LNB's side by side seperated by an angle of 15 degrees) you need two specify either the angle or the two sats you want to receive(28.2 & 13.0)

2# A LNB mount that you can fit two LNB's at the right angle (I made my own) switching between LNB's you need a disecq switch

3# A DiSEqC motor (which will turn the dish to point to whichever channel you choose.

I'll try to find a couple of examples of what I mean and post links on here

---------- Post added at 17:17 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Twin LNB mount (you will need to buy another LNB and DiSEqC switch and also make sure that it'll fit your dish)

An adjustable dual LNB (doesn't seem to be many 15degree dual LNB's about, if twin output you will have to buy a DiSEqC switch, if single output then the switch is built in)

DiSEqC motor
Old 29-07-2011, 22:52   #386
noucmam

Cheers, i'll probably go for a motor, seems the most straigforward and adaptable option. Will something like this motor http://www.maplin.co.uk/satellite-dish-motor-47176 do the trick? I'll probably get someone to help me set it up, i've only ever messed around with cable boxes before and haven't got a clue about satellite dishes.
Old 29-07-2011, 23:04   #387
Kymmy
Inactive

The maplins one doesn't state what size dish it can cope with.. If it's a 60 or 80cm dish then you should be fine.. I'd suggest popping to Mpalins and seeing if it says on the box..

But YES that is a DiSEqC motor and as you change channels it'll automatically move the dish to the correct sat once it's been fully set up and configured
Old 29-07-2011, 23:10   #388
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Maplins online product Q&A is actually very good - put the question on the product page and you should get a useful answer.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 11:16   #389
noucmam

someone already asked on maplins q&a...
Quote:
Would this be strong enough to move a 1.2mt channel master dish?

A)
Yes the product does support that.
so i suppose it should do the trick
Old 30-07-2011, 11:21   #390
Kymmy
Inactive

Yeah but if it says 1.2 meter dish I wouldn;t trust it past a 1.1 meter dish.. You know what I mean.. I got one for my 1.1 meter dish and bought a 1.3 motor