Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Nokia 5800 Fault

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin & O2 Mobile Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Nokia 5800 Fault

Old 08-12-2009, 22:22   #16
alferret
cf.mega poster

Services: There is no destination to life, the journey is everything!
alferret has a nice shiny star
alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star
Re: Nokia 5800 Fault

Wife & I are both getting the 5800 on friday from orange, hope we dont suffer from these sorts of problems.
Would have stayed with VM for mobile services but due to the poor reception at our house\area (leaning out of bedroom window to make\receive a call) after 16 months or so we have given up.
Lookin forward to the 5800
alferret is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2009, 23:42   #17
sniperdude
Permanently Banned

Services: 50mb XXL XL phone
sniperdude has a spectacular aura about themsniperdude has a spectacular aura about themsniperdude has a spectacular aura about themsniperdude has a spectacular aura about them

I have a Nokia 5800 never have problems with it

update it with the latest firmware from the Nokia site

latest version is 31.0.101 ...find what version your running by dialling *#0000#

if you have a banded phone all firmware updates have to be approved
by the phone company your locked to

so if Nokia update won't let you update to the latest version I have listed
the reason will be that the firmware hasn't been approved by them.

nokia say after updating firmware you don't need to reset tou phone to factory
but i find it better if you do a hard reset is done by

switching the phone off

then starting it with the camera and green and red buttons held down till you see the
Nokia handshake
sniperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 00:35   #18
alferret
cf.mega poster

alferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny staralferret has a nice shiny star

Got the phone today, software version 30.0.011, as its orange I guess I'll have to wait for the latest fw update.

Nice phone tho
Old 13-12-2009, 20:05   #19
alferret
cf.mega poster

making a post from phone, super labourious.

---------- Post added at 20:05 ---------- Previous post was at 19:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alferret View Post
making a post from phone, super labourious.

Well that was really slow over the orange network and I had to phone orange to get the over 18 website lock removed from the account. What a pain, will try wireless in a mo, if can.
Old 13-12-2009, 20:25   #20
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars
Peter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered starsPeter_ is seeing silvered stars

I find the wireless range on my 5800 to be fantastic and can connect to any network if the is no security within seconds.

If I post from the phone I use the stylus and the full qwerty keyboard, it is slower but it works.
Peter_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 20:39   #21
alferret
cf.mega poster

Re: Nokia 5800

Access over our wireless network at home seems to be a bit hit and miss, we'll get to google (for instance) do a search and try to go to the page we have searched for and it doesnt happen, it'll either hang or say gateway error and access over the orange network harks back to the days of 56k.

But that said, we didnt get the phone for net access and other than that its ok, with the 8gb storage it means I may not have to use my MP3 player at work but use the one on the phone, which gets its first outing tomorrow, if thats ok then I can see my Philips goGear popping up on the for sale section.
Old 13-12-2009, 20:45   #22
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Services: Samsung V+ XL TV XL Phone 30Mb Superhub Samsung Galaxy 3 32GB sd card In a world of no buffering!
Re: Nokia 5800

Quote:
Access over our wireless network at home seems to be a bit hit and miss, we'll get to google (for instance) do a search and try to go to the page we have searched for and it doesnt happen, it'll either hang or say gateway error and access over the orange network harks back to the days of 56k.

But that said, we didnt get the phone for net access and other than that its ok, with the 8gb storage it means I may not have to use my MP3 player at work but use the one on the phone, which gets its first outing tomorrow, if thats ok then I can see my Philips goGear popping up on the for sale section.
I got mine from Virgin and it had a 16Gb card as standard and the playback is fine through any headphones and you can load movies onto the card and watch them.

I can watch the BBC iplayer from any wireless network without any issues but not the inbuilt and Ialso downloaded the Youtube app onto it and they will play on the inbuilt connection fine.

I did Google how to reset the phone to factory settings though and it did seem to work better, still locked to Virgin though.
Old 13-12-2009, 21:22   #23
alferret
cf.mega poster

For me iPlayer will sometimes load its front page but as to getting anything to play is another issue, click on a prog to watch and it just has the busy icon top right going round and round and round.

I havnt done a factory reset yet, may try that.
Old 13-12-2009, 22:39   #24
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
For me iPlayer will sometimes load its front page but as to getting anything to play is another issue, click on a prog to watch and it just has the busy icon top right going round and round and round.

I havnt done a factory reset yet, may try that.
Mine works perfectly and does everything it is supposed to and if I was on Orange I would be able to use the BBC iPlayer on 3G that is the only annoying thing as I have unlimited broadband as part of my phone package.
Old 19-12-2009, 20:39   #25
alferret
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moldova View Post
Mine works perfectly and does everything it is supposed to and if I was on Orange I would be able to use the BBC iPlayer on 3G that is the only annoying thing as I have unlimited broadband as part of my phone package.
Well I have sussed out the problem with wireless connectivity.
Had to get a new wireless router today & ended up with a Belkin "N" mimo and it works faultlessly, so the fault was either the belkin "G" access point or the old linksys router.

Happy chappy
Old 19-12-2009, 22:57   #26
Peter_
Permanently Banned

Quote:
Well I have sussed out the problem with wireless connectivity.
Had to get a new wireless router today & ended up with a Belkin "N" mimo and it works faultlessly, so the fault was either the belkin "G" access point or the old linksys router.

Happy chappy
When out and about try searching for networks you will be surprised how many it picks up.
Old 22-12-2009, 19:03   #27
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

jus thought I would add my views...having owned a lot of phones, this by far the WORST phone I have ever used. The O/S is full of bugs! if you install new themes you'll find the dialer no longer works, really slow menu's etc. Updated it to the newest firmware then just got rid of it hated this phone

p.s. even with the latest firmware I was facing problems such as when somone rang I would answer it and the display would still show 'XXXX is calling' also sometimes when I got a message it would vibrate non stop!
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 19:16   #28
Jon T
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media Telephone and 100Mb broadband, Sky Q
Jon T has reached the bronze age
Jon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze ageJon T has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by desi112 View Post
jus thought I would add my views...having owned a lot of phones, this by far the WORST phone I have ever used. The O/S is full of bugs! if you install new themes you'll find the dialer no longer works, really slow menu's etc. Updated it to the newest firmware then just got rid of it hated this phone

p.s. even with the latest firmware I was facing problems such as when somone rang I would answer it and the display would still show 'XXXX is calling' also sometimes when I got a message it would vibrate non stop!
and just to add my views for the sake of balance.......

Having fell out with Nokia after having a 6600 four or five years ago, I went to Sony Ericsson, when free upgrade time came I hesitantly went for the 5800. I have to say it's the best phone i've ever had, and exhibits none of the bugs you posted.

On firmware version v30.0.011, network is 02.

The 5800 is really popular, and I suppose with that many out there it's inevitable that some people have defective handsets or have bad experiences.
Jon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 19:23   #29
desi112
cf.member

Services: 200MB VM Cable
desi112 is an unknown quantity at this point

well I had the nokia 5800 on vodafone, and I guess with all things it depends on your own experience with the device. I had the SE c902 before and it also failed, it kept randomly switchin off So i changed it for the nokia 5800. Now I got rid of that and bought a new c902, and I seem to be having battery problems with this one
desi112 is offline   Reply With Quote