Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | It's nearly here!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Installation Issues

It's nearly here!

Old 13-08-2017, 18:32   #1
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
It's nearly here!

After a massive wait, a whole bunch of drama, and a few months of discussion with a director at VM who pushed the project through, cable has nearly arrived, and I'm nearly able to troll the Internet at ultrafast speeds again.

VM are certainly dedicated to coverage. A team spent a week reaching 4 properties through block paving.

They are, however, now in the process of standing the cabinet that will deliver my providings.

Ignitionnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Old 13-08-2017, 19:42   #2
Maggy
The Invisible Woman
Cable Forum Team

Services: VM XL TV,50 MB VM BB,VM landline, Tivo
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Maggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden auraMaggy has a golden aura
Re: It's nearly here!

Old 13-08-2017, 19:55   #3
weesteev
Cable Guru

Services: Virgin Media Gig1 RFOG, TV360, Stream, GoFibre 1Gb
weesteev has reached the bronze age
weesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze ageweesteev has reached the bronze age

Good stuff! Glad to see things are moving again

Access Network Innovation @ Liberty Global/Virgin Media

All comments are my own opinion and not a direct expression of LG/VM.
weesteev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 20:54   #4
Qtx
CF's Worst Nightmare

Services: Sky Fibre Unlimited 40/10
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal
Qtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appealQtx has a bronzed appeal

Never seen anyone that desperate for a Docsis connection since the Telewest days

Welcome back!
Qtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 23:39   #5
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars
Ignitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny starsIgnitionnet has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qtx View Post
Never seen anyone that desperate for a Docsis connection since the Telewest days

Welcome back!
I know their plans for the next 9 months with said DOCSIS connection

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by weesteev View Post
Good stuff! Glad to see things are moving again
Thank you, Sir. A controversial and expensive project for relatively little return on your side, but given you've blitzed the rest of the ward be rude not to finish up these last thousand premises, especially given that this project pre-dates Lightning.

I am so grateful to VM for introducing competition to the area. I'm not sure BT would be deploying G.fast here if VM hadn't committed the 7-figure sum on the deployment here.

That sum really puts things into perspective. To roll out VDSL / FTTC to the cabinet area probably cost BT, for both VDSL cabs and the copper extension, maybe 50 grand tops, with the G.fast pod coming in at another 10. To pass the premises covered by that BT cabinet VM are spending not 60 grand but closer to 500. That's serious investment, and I'm delighted to see it here.
Old 14-08-2017, 10:28   #6
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignitionnet View Post
I know their plans for the next 9 months with said DOCSIS connection

Thank you!

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:34 ----------

Thank you, Sir. A controversial and expensive project for relatively little return on your side, but given you've blitzed the rest of the ward be rude not to finish up these last thousand premises, especially given that this project pre-dates Lightning.

I am so grateful to VM for introducing competition to the area. I'm not sure BT would be deploying G.fast here if VM hadn't committed the 7-figure sum on the deployment here.

That sum really puts things into perspective. To roll out VDSL / FTTC to the cabinet area probably cost BT, for both VDSL cabs and the copper extension, maybe 50 grand tops, with the G.fast pod coming in at another 10. To pass the premises covered by that BT cabinet VM are spending not 60 grand but closer to 500. That's serious investment, and I'm delighted to see it here.
I may be reading this wrong but if it costs VM 500k to cover the same number of customers that BT does with 60K, they may need to revisit their business model
Old 14-08-2017, 11:24   #7
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Soon be switching your providings then ...
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 11:51   #8
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
I may be reading this wrong but if it costs VM 500k to cover the same number of customers that BT does with 60K, they may need to revisit their business model
That's the difference between building a new cabinet and having to dig to every home.

The difference being VM can sell TV, phone, broadband to properties. BT have to make the business case based around wholesale revenues only, and only incremental wholesale revenues on top of what they are already making from standard phone and broadband services.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Soon be switching your providings then ...
Kinda. Will be taking a business service and leaving a VDSL line in place as a backup.

Given I currently have 2 x VDSL lines one of them will go.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:04   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

/envy

The quango responsible for fibre rollout in Scotland is still fobbing us off with the "it's challenging to bring fibre to homes on an EO line" excuse. Our exchange's predicted upgrade date has been slowly pushed back so it's always been 6 months in the future, with all the EO lines outside the village due for upgrade an indeterminate period of time beyond that.

About 12 months ago they did something that improved my sync from about 2.5Mb to around 4.2Mb but unfortunately my B&B guests (and my kids) have developed expectations far beyond our line's ability.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:28   #10
Ignitionnet
Inactive

If you're as remote as I think you are the only options to serve you, other than satellite, are fibre to the premises or a fixed wireless / 4G service.

You're likely losing out due to value for money. Delivering to you costs a bomb, while they can get through a number of other premises for that same funding.
Old 14-08-2017, 13:34   #11
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
That's the difference between building a new cabinet and having to dig to every home.

The difference being VM can sell TV, phone, broadband to properties. BT have to make the business case based around wholesale revenues only, and only incremental wholesale revenues on top of what they are already making from standard phone and broadband services.

---------- Post added at 10:51 ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 ----------

Kinda. Will be taking a business service and leaving a VDSL line in place as a backup.

Given I currently have 2 x VDSL lines one of them will go.
Fair point.

With the switch to VM as your main WFH platform, does alleged latency woes of the Hub3 modem impact you at all?

So far, since switching to the Hub3, I have yet to notice any real world issues on VPN, Jabber, Zoom, VNC, RDP, etc.
Old 14-08-2017, 13:40   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
If you're as remote as I think you are the only options to serve you, other than satellite, are fibre to the premises or a fixed wireless / 4G service.

You're likely losing out due to value for money. Delivering to you costs a bomb, while they can get through a number of other premises for that same funding.
Indeed. Fortunately there's a ton of cash sloshing around the system in Scotland so I know I'll get something eventually. I'd prefer to avoid 4g if I can though, I used a 4g modem/router on holiday and it cost a fortune, plus the latency was sky high. Not unlike satellite, which is even worse ...

I'm hoping to eventually get fibre to the premises, or close to at least. We are reasonably remote but we are also in a tourist hotspot and there are hotels and other businesses crying out for fast connectivity. Many of them are even further from the exchange than us.
Old 14-08-2017, 16:15   #13
Ignitionnet
Inactive

It's likely you'll have FTTP before I do.
Old 15-08-2017, 01:13   #14
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Cabinet has been stood. There is some work to do with road crossings, etc, on the road between mine and the rest of the network, civils should be done and network being tested by the end of next week. Should be able to order shortly after.
Old 22-08-2017, 22:20   #15
Ignitionnet
Inactive

Toby in place; ducting back to cabinet and road crossings to connect cabinet to network in progress.

EDIT: After all this the service is going to suck, isn't it?

Last edited by Ignitionnet; 22-08-2017 at 22:26.