Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 17-03-2008, 00:33   #1261
mertle
Inactive

mertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quadsmertle has a fine set of Quads
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirius View Post
So are you saying that you have just linked me to a site that has placed a Phorm cookie on my PC without my permission or could have ?

Just shows how easy its going to be to be infected with this spyware from Virgin Media.

And before you say Its Phorm not Virgin Media, Its Virgin Media as the servers are going to be in Virgin Media's pop sites so its Virgin Media that will be infecting us with this spyware.
that sums it up that this opt out cookie useless.

The fact we are being told its not live.

Like I found days back this thing is being intermittent.

I found my phrom informer told me couple times there is phorm which bypassed there lump of rubbish opt out cookie.

I had a thought on this so called poll maybe its businesses who been asked they are hadly going to ask us they know the answer.
Advertisement
Old 17-03-2008, 02:20   #1262
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

The link I posted earlier holds information plus the image( which soesnt work since it is the cookie info image) which places the cookie on you pc. Please search through your cookies and delete the webwise cookie. That is how easy it is to aquire a cookie for webwise visiting any website thwey have infected with their scripts.

Phorm Opt-in cookie details

Name=uid
Content=XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX|| (where XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX is a 22 character "random" string)
Host=a.webwise.net
Path=/services/
Send for=Any type of connection
Expiry date 1 year

Phorm Opt-out cookie details

Name=OPTED_OUT
Content=YES
Domain=.webwise.net
Path=/
Send for=Any type of connection

The info the cookies give.
Old 17-03-2008, 07:28   #1263
Cobbydaler
cf.mega poster

Services: ClearFibre Internet, Vodafone mobile Google Pixel 4
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars
Cobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered starsCobbydaler is seeing silvered stars

Sir Tim says no to Phorm...
Old 17-03-2008, 07:52   #1264
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbydaler View Post
Well i think he has said all i need to hear.
Quote:
Sir Tim Berners-Lee told BBC News he would change his internet provider if it introduced such a system.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 17-03-2008, 08:00   #1265
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

That's a heck of a slap in the face for Kent and the oily ad-men
Old 17-03-2008, 08:24   #1266
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal
Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

I heard about this during the night on radio 5 Live, and there's just been a piece about it on BBC Breakfast.

Having a man like this on our side could be a huge boost

Well done Sir Tim.
Old 17-03-2008, 09:00   #1267
Sirius
Grumpy Fecker

Services: Every Weekend
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling
Sirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver blingSirius has a lot of silver bling

It's heating up on the support forum for the BT version of this Spyware

http://www.beta.bt.com/bta/forums/th...t=210&tstart=0

Quote:

It is even more annoying since Adam is avoiding answering most of our questions but jumps onto the forum to "correct" a customer who is actually quoting information provided by another member of staff at BT - a fact that he should be aware of in his position and something he should have checked before issuing such an abrupt statement.

As to posts being removed - the very post regarding the correspondence from BT that I referred to was removed from this thread despite clearly being proven to be entirely relevant.
If anything is posted that goes against BT or Phorm its removed by the look of things BT at it's best.

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/cancer-...bladder-cancer
Old 17-03-2008, 09:19   #1268
aMIGA_dUDE
Inactive

aMIGA_dUDE is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mertle View Post
That seems so stupid why do businesses think shooting thermselves in the foot is good for business. They just had there best quarter for a long time turning the company round.

The feel good factor was growing services was being upgraded and some snooty idiot in some office had a brainwave to test the resolve of its customers by doing this.

Have they thought about risk assesment management in VM. Did they honestly thought customers would go oh well we have cttv camera's every inch of the uk surely the wont mind us going to bed with some dodgy hackers who make rootkits for spyware. So we can snoop and profile there habits just to give us more junk, but oh wait it will be only adverts we would be interested in.

I sometimes wonder if these educated people who are in positions to make decisions have any brains at all.
Thay might of not know of there past. Phorm is a new business name so searching with google would give them no info about there past issue.

It an issue of trust, I bet Phorm did not inform Virgin Media an Co. about there past history before public found out about it.

---------- Post added at 09:19 ---------- Previous post was at 09:10 ----------

Quote:

He get this problem with Phorm and why it bad.

If dont know who Sir Tim Berners-Lee is, put it simply he is one who start this HTML thing in first place. He father web, with out him there would not be a:-
e-bay
google
phorm
etc

Day by day the news for Phorm get worse, next Phorm PR outfit will say Sir Tim Berners-Lee dosn't know what he is talking about.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7299875.stm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Tim_Berners-Lee
Old 17-03-2008, 09:22   #1269
Ravenheart
Inactive

Ravenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appealRavenheart has a bronzed appeal

From scanning through the BT forum link Sirius posted.

http://beta.bt.com/bta/forums/thread...rt=45&tstart=0

Seems BadPhorm and Dephormation have been getting a lot of attention from Russia

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3drxqa

Maybe they're looking to protect their own browsing habits
Old 17-03-2008, 09:34   #1270
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Irony: A company who claims
Quote:
its system offers security benefits which will warn users about potential phishing sites - websites which attempt to con users into handing over personal data.
while secretly recording users personal data (at lease with phishing sites, they trick you into revealing personal info, phorm aren't even that open) and using it to serve "personalised" ads.
Old 17-03-2008, 09:37   #1271
WHISTLED
Inactive

WHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of societyWHISTLED is a pillar of society

Until now I didnt really see what the issue was with Phorm on VM, and having read through many of the posts I do still think many are just nonsense bordering on conspiracy theory...

BUT sat watching TV I thought I wouldnt want anyone or anything to know what programmes I liked then making assumptions about what products interest me..

Nor would I want any system to know what food I eat every night, tailored advertising would limit my choice in some ways (Not sure if that makes sense)

On the reverse Tesco hold more information on most f you than any direct marketing software ever will.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:02   #1272
hOrZa
Inactive

hOrZa is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLED View Post
On the reverse Tesco hold more information on most f you than any direct marketing software ever will.
Only if you have a clubcard, which I don't
Old 17-03-2008, 10:10   #1273
mmm
cf.geek

mmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about themmmm has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Picked up here too...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main...17/nweb117.xml
Old 17-03-2008, 10:13   #1274
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHISTLED View Post
If you don't have a clubcard and always pay by cash, they have no way of tracking you.
Old 17-03-2008, 10:16   #1275
Ravenheart
Inactive

The Register has added a new piece after the weekend revelation from BT admitting they were using it last year despite lying to customers

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/03/17/bt_phorm_lies/
Closed Thread