Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Chronicles of Rishi
Closed Thread

Old 21-10-2023, 20:45   #1141
Pierre
The Dark Satanic Mills

Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Pierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny starsPierre has a pair of shiny stars
Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I’m not convinced the vast, vast, majority of higher earners in this country will have the skills or expertise to move abroad for a marginal tax advantage. Those that could have would have done so.
Indeed, You’d be surprised how many “high earners”, by definition, aren’t really.

They’re comfortable, have a nice house, have at least one decent fortnight abroad at a good hotel, maybe even sneak a week at half term, probably have two cars.

But they still live month to month with their pay, and if either lost their job they could soon see themselves in the shit.
Old 21-10-2023, 21:06   #1142
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post

All that 'most people' you mentioned need to do is to read my previous post. Then they'll understand how it all works.

If those '£100K' bods are overtaxed, they'll leave and take the jobs they employ with them. I suggest you join the dots.

As to effective tax rates, I didn't understand your calculation by reason of the cumulative increase you cited. What did you mean by 'your wealth increasing by £60K (or £100K) per year'? After tax? After spending? What is the taxable salary within those figures?
Everybody, gather round and read Seph's previous post to understand the detail of how the global, pan-tax jurisdiction, corporate capitalist market works and the intricacies of arcane financial instruments. You're a funny man

I never mentioned '£100K bods' so not sure where you got that from. As to leaving and taking their jobs with them, your Brexit put paid to most of that.

Finally, for such a financial guru, you would think that when we are discussing effective tax rates, it is blindingly obvious we are discussing the tax rate applied to gross income/wealth gains.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Quote:
Ah - but Ian kept it vague as to what he meant by wealth growing by £100K/year. So there's no real reference point.

Ian doesn't like the idea of people being wealthy and only paying a top rate of 45% tax. If those people have their tax increased, they'll leave, imo. The wealthy may well have big business here and I have no doubt that they would move those business to a lower taxation country.
Again, I never mentioned people paying 45% tax rate. Classic deflection from addressing the point I made.

I also like the idea of people being wealthy e.g. I like myself. I am not saying that middle income earners are to be impacted. Please stop making up BS.

I'll ask the question again:

Quote:
Let's take this example: your wealth increases each year by £60k, principally through income, and you pay an overall effective tax rate of, say, 35%. Let's then say that my wealth increases by £100m each year but my overall effective tax rate is 10% or less. Do you think this is fair & equitable?
Old 21-10-2023, 21:37   #1143
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre View Post
Indeed, You’d be surprised how many “high earners”, by definition, aren’t really.

They’re comfortable, have a nice house, have at least one decent fortnight abroad at a good hotel, maybe even sneak a week at half term, probably have two cars.

But they still live month to month with their pay, and if either lost their job they could soon see themselves in the shit.
This is where the Tories have let their base down. Folk on 100 grand a year, big house, good job weren’t meant to be worse off.

Interest rates and energy shaft everyone and that wasn’t the deal.
Old 21-10-2023, 23:00   #1144
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
Everybody, gather round and read Seph's previous post to understand the detail of how the global, pan-tax jurisdiction, corporate capitalist market works and the intricacies of arcane financial instruments. You're a funny man

I never mentioned '£100K bods' so not sure where you got that from. As to leaving and taking their jobs with them, your Brexit put paid to most of that.

Finally, for such a financial guru, you would think that when we are discussing effective tax rates, it is blindingly obvious we are discussing the tax rate applied to gross income/wealth gains.

---------- Post added at 21:06 ---------- Previous post was at 21:01 ----------

Again, I never mentioned people paying 45% tax rate. Classic deflection from addressing the point I made.

I also like the idea of people being wealthy e.g. I like myself. I am not saying that middle income earners are to be impacted. Please stop making up BS.

I'll ask the question again:

Quote:
Let's take this example: your wealth increases each year by £60k, principally through income, and you pay an overall effective tax rate of, say, 35%. Let's then say that my wealth increases by £100m each year but my overall effective tax rate is 10% or less. Do you think this is fair & equitable?
Quote:
You're splitting hairs here. What you have avoided explaining is what the heck you meant by this £60m/£100m 'example'.

Quote:
You don't have to have mentioned the 45% tax rate for me to introduce it into the conversation. You go on about the tax gap between the £60m bod and the £100m bod. The only inference to be drawn is that you wish the richer person to be subject to a higher tax rate, or a wealth tax, or something because you never defined the £60m/£100m wealth increase.

Quote:
... it is blindingly obvious we are discussing the tax rate applied to gross income/wealth gains.
You mentioned an effective tax rate (I now assume CGT) of 10% for the £100m bod. Where does that come from?

My advice is at your risk.
Old 22-10-2023, 09:54   #1145
GrimUpNorth
cf.mega poster

GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny starGrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star
GrimUpNorth has a nice shiny star

Quote:

You're splitting hairs here. What you have avoided explaining is what the heck you meant by this £60m/£100m 'example'.

You don't have to have mentioned the 45% tax rate for me to introduce it into the conversation. You go on about the tax gap between the £60m bod and the £100m bod. The only inference to be drawn is that you wish the richer person to be subject to a higher tax rate, or a wealth tax, or something because you never defined the £60m/£100m wealth increase.

You mentioned an effective tax rate (I now assume CGT) of 10% for the £100m bod. Where does that come from?

I think everyone (even you) knows what Ian is saying, I also think you're just going out of your way to be obtuse because you know he's got a point and cant bring yourself to agree.
Old 22-10-2023, 10:19   #1146
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimUpNorth View Post
I think everyone (even you) knows what Ian is saying, I also think you're just going out of your way to be obtuse because you know he's got a point and cant bring yourself to agree.

Not at all, Grim. Ian seems to hate all things Tory (possibly due to Brexit) and uses social injustice through the wealth gap as his illustration in the current exchange of words.

There are better reasons to dislike the Tories.

What I have done is to point out the consequences of narrowing the wealth gap due to human nature. I have also asked Ian to provide a better definition of his £60K/£100K wealth increase (which he has done) and as a consequence I've asked him where he got his 10% effective tax rate from (because CGT has two bands of rates).

Iain has also cited Denmark as a model for income equality and has recommended that model for the UK. He's right about his description of Denmark and wrong about its applicability to the UK. Denmark has 1/10 of the UK's population and its economic activity is vastly different from that of the UK. With only 6m people, there aren't as many pips to be squeezed by the ultra-rich, so they aren't present.

It's all about understanding how the various economies work. Labour's 13 years of rule didn't change the dynamics of the UK's economy and couldn't touch the wealth gap; nor can the Tories.

The economy pretty much runs itself through business activity. The Government just needs to stimulate the economy through tax/investment incentives, which is not their current approach.

All I ask of Ian is that gets real on this particular subject.

Old 22-10-2023, 11:51   #1147
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Iain has also cited Denmark as a model for income equality and has recommended that model for the UK. He's right about his description of Denmark and wrong about its applicability to the UK. Denmark has 1/10 of the UK's population and its economic activity is vastly different from that of the UK. With only 6m people, there aren't as many pips to be squeezed by the ultra-rich, so they aren't present.
Thanks for, inadvertently I assume, making the case for Scottish independence.
Old 22-10-2023, 16:03   #1148
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Thanks for, inadvertently I assume, making the case for Scottish independence.

You're welcome.

Old 23-10-2023, 15:03   #1149
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

The incompetence of this government :

* if you make £125,000 or more you lose your tax free allowance (the first £12,570)

Hunt announced that ( for every two quid you make above 100K you lose £1 of your tax allowance ). A complicated way to say: we are getting your allowance.

* But when you get your state pension, this is also taken from your tax free allowance.

What???? The allowance is already gone!

The tax people do not know what to do. "to be reviewed next April" and you get an X (not twitter) in your tax code!
Old 25-10-2023, 19:01   #1150
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Another by-election (probably…)

https://news.sky.com/story/peter-bon...weeks-12990803

Quote:
Peter Bone: Ex-Tory MP accused of sexual misconduct and bullying suspended from Commons for six weeks

The sanction means he will face a recall petition in his constituency, which could lead to yet another by-election for Rishi Sunak's party.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Old 26-10-2023, 16:54   #1151
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Conservative MP arrested on suspicion of rape and possession of drugs.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ugs-possession

Quote:
A Conservative MP has been arrested on suspicion of rape and possession of drugs, the Guardian has learned.

Police said a man was arrested on Wednesday morning before being released on conditional bail.

Westminster sources confirmed the man, whom the Guardian is not naming, is a sitting MP.

A spokesperson for a UK police force, which is also not being named, said: “We can confirm a man … was arrested yesterday morning … on suspicion of rape and possession of controlled substances.
Old 26-10-2023, 17:14   #1152
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

Actually quite sad to read this.
Old 26-10-2023, 17:33   #1153
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
Actually quite sad to read this.
Do they put viagra into the gin at CCHQ? They should just turn it into a jail. Problem sorted.
Old 26-10-2023, 18:06   #1154
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post

https://news.sky.com/story/senior-to...ances-12993261

Quote:
Conservative MP Crispin Blunt says he has been arrested on suspicion of rape and possession of controlled substances.

In a statement on X, the Reigate MP said: "It has been reported that an MP was arrested yesterday in connection with an allegation of rape.

"I am confirming that MP was me. The fact of the arrest requires a formal notification of the Speaker and then my Chief Whip.

"I have now been interviewed twice in connection with this incident, the first time three weeks ago, when I initially reported my concern over extortion. The second time was earlier this morning under caution following arrest.

"The arrest was unnecessary as I remain ready to co-operate fully with the investigation that I am confident will end without charge.

"I do not intend to say anything further on this matter until the police have completed their inquiries."
Old 27-10-2023, 12:16   #1155
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_4165.jpeg (72.1 KB, 56 views)
Closed Thread