Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2008, 11:00   #10516
vicz
Inactive

vicz is on a distinguished roadvicz is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

I think you'll find that the F5 email filtering feature is aimed at filtering SPAM, something we should be greatfull for. Of course it is open to abuse, potentially the ISP could spy on emails here, but then email is not secure, is it?
Advertisement
Old 30-06-2008, 11:07   #10517
TheBruce1
Inactive

TheBruce1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anyone tried this browser yet http://www.heidi.ie/node/7

When i get the chance i stick it on my VM and see if it does what it says.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:11   #10518
davethejag
Inactive

davethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about themdavethejag has a spectacular aura about them

"Why? This is a very, very important issue with implications for the future of the internet that go way beyond just BT, VM and TT. It is therefore highly appropriate that we seek to bring the matter to the attention of as wide an audience as possible. For example, I doubt that frequent visitors to KFO are in the habit of reading The Guardian! If as a result of the listing on KFO a few more people have become aware then in my view it was totally justified.

I'm sure people actively involved in the campaign will continue to find more channels to use to spread the message - long may that continue!"[/QUOTE]

I totally agree, It is very important to make as many people aware of the Phorm issue as possible, the implications of this system being introduced is beyond belief and It has to be stopped. The Government are not in a too healthy position at the moment and they have done "u turns" and altered course on various issues after receiving "bad press" in order to placate the public (and voters). It is my hope that the Government will realise that the overwhelming majority of people when made aware of what Phorm is all about and how it operates are opposed it and that they then step in and call a halt to it. Therefore any way of letting as many people as possible learn of this obnoxious intrusion is ok by me.

Dave.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:21   #10519
TheBruce1
Inactive

Forget about http://www.heidi.ie/node/7 its only a 10 trial, there does not seem to be much support either in the forum.
Old 30-06-2008, 11:35   #10520
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

Rapidly approaching 10 000 unique visitors to NoDPI in just 2.5 weeks of running stats. Over 30 000 page views in the same time period, 740 people subscribed to the rss feeds and the site has been spidered almost 8500 times. So word is getting out, the torrentfreak article from yesterday has pushed a lot of traffic through in the last 12 hours too.

Alexander Hanff
Old 30-06-2008, 11:42   #10521
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Rapidly approaching 10 000 unique visitors to NoDPI in just 2.5 weeks of running stats. Over 30 000 page views in the same time period, 740 people subscribed to the rss feeds and the site has been spidered almost 8500 times. So word is getting out, the torrentfreak article from yesterday has pushed a lot of traffic through in the last 12 hours too.

Alexander Hanff
That is good news Alex..

I will be working on posters in lcal shopping center this week was also considering trying an shopping center campaign with printouts of the BT informed consent form. Asking shoppers if they use the internet and what if they saw that page displayed on their screen they thought they would be accepting..

I know what it wil be but need to gather some proof used to work for NOP so know how to do market research thinking of that wonder what they charge to do a servey on it
Old 30-06-2008, 11:48   #10522
Rchivist
Inactive

Rchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of QuadsRchivist has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post
Totally agree, nobody asked phorm to be here, nobody wants phorm, i have yet to come across anyone who thinks phorm will benefit them(except for phorm shareholders it seems)in anyway, even on football fan forums i have yet to hear from anyone that supports it, just wait till phorm goes live on BT(if ever)and users start trying to find out what is phorm, i see many customers dumping pro-phorm ISP and going to a non-phorm ISP, in the end i hope phorm goes bust.
Ah but the BT research document "Premium Browsing: Research Findings" proves that we all are just aching to experience the "premium browsing" that Phorm can provide, along with the two revolutionary privacy concepts that they are introducing, to replace old fashioned ideas like opt-in and informed consent - "Clear and transparent notice" and "recurring notice" - you're just not keeping up with the current PR!!!

If anyone knows where we can get hold of a copy of "Premium Browsing: Research Findings" I'm sure a leak would be covered by the whistleblower regulations.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:03   #10523
roadrunner69
cf.member

roadrunner69 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florence View Post
That is good news Alex..

I will be working on posters in lcal shopping center this week was also considering trying an shopping center campaign with printouts of the BT informed consent form. Asking shoppers if they use the internet and what if they saw that page displayed on their screen they thought they would be accepting..

I know what it wil be but need to gather some proof used to work for NOP so know how to do market research thinking of that wonder what they charge to do a survey on it
Didn't BT carry out their own consumer survey?
I believe it showed overwhelming support for 'less irrelevant advertising' and better protection against phishing attacks.

As with all surveys, ask the right questions and you'll get what ever replies suit your agenda.

Just try and be as neutral as possible when asking, Florence. We know we're right, we don't have to resort to BS. (certainly not suggesting you would act in any other way. )
Old 30-06-2008, 12:14   #10524
Florence
Inactive

Services: The wonders of Sky TV BT line and Aquiss.net ADSL cable dies on 5th RIP VM.
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal
Florence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appealFlorence has a bronzed appeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
Didn't BT carry out their own consumer survey?
I believe it showed overwhelming support for 'less irrelevant advertising' and better protection against phishing attacks.

As with all surveys, ask the right questions and you'll get what ever replies suit your agenda.

Just try and be as neutral as possible when asking, Florence. We know we're right, we don't have to resort to BS. (certainly not suggesting you would act in any other way. )
Yes but we don't have access totheir findings plus we all know the way questions are asked can bring different answers had they said they were monitoring your every click, website looking at all the information to gather keywords then target you with adverts from this, might give a different response to the question about protecting you from phishing websites and relevent adverts. Notice the economic use of the truth to get the reply you want to be an excuse to implement the spy in the network.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:33   #10525
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Yes but we don't have access totheir findings plus we all know the way questions are asked can bring different answers had they said they were monitoring your every click, website looking at all the information to gather keywords then target you with adverts from this, might give a different response to the question about protecting you from phishing websites and relevent adverts. Notice the economic use of the truth to get the reply you want to be an excuse to implement the spy in the network.
With this in mind can we come up with a suitably phrased question for the masses that would give a clear indication of their views? Tricky one I know but I'm prepared to go to the Grafton Center in Cambridge and run a survey, say, the weekend before the AGM and see what happens.
Old 30-06-2008, 12:36   #10526
TheBruce1
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones
Ah but the BT research document "Premium Browsing: Research Findings" proves that we all are just aching to experience the "premium browsing" that Phorm can provide, along with the two revolutionary privacy concepts that they are introducing, to replace old fashioned ideas like opt-in and informed consent - "Clear and transparent notice" and "recurring notice" - you're just not keeping up with the current PR!!!
I love the PR talk like "Premium Browsing", it gives me such a warm fuzzy, wuzzy feeling, but then i am not a child so it means nothing to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones
If anyone knows where we can get hold of a copy of "Premium Browsing: Research Findings" I'm sure a leak would be covered by the whistleblower regulations.
That would be interesting to see, no doubt fully of fuzzy, wuzzy PR words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff
That is good to hear, what was that old saying, "power to the people".

Something along the same lines, but possible more sinister in todays Daily Mail:

Quote:
American intelligence agencies may soon be able to access the most private and personal details of British citizens.

Under an agreement being negotiated between the EU and Washington., U.S. agencies including the CIA will be allowed to view details of bank accounts, travel plans and even the sites individuals visit on the internet.

A secret document giving details of the agreement has been leaked to the New York Times.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...salaries-.html

Nice to see the EU and UK have some backbone.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:02   #10527
warescouse
cf.addict

warescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nicewarescouse is just really nice

Quote:
That is good news Alex..

I know what it wil be but need to gather some proof used to work for NOP so know how to do market research thinking of that wonder what they charge to do a servey on it
Don't forget there is already an antiphorm flyer written for joe public. (We really should have all these together for reference to their location)
Old 30-06-2008, 13:05   #10528
BetBlowWhistler
Inactive

BetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about themBetBlowWhistler has a spectacular aura about them

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBruce1 View Post
Something along the same lines, but possible more sinister in todays Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...salaries-.html

Nice to see the EU and UK have some backbone.
Damn, and I was planning a US/Canada motorbike trip next year too. I'm seriously considering not bothering and voting with my credit card to go elsewhere.
Old 30-06-2008, 13:07   #10529
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

There goes the magic 10 000th unique visitor

Alexander Hanff
Old 30-06-2008, 13:19   #10530
Deko
Permanently Banned

Deko is an unknown quantity at this point

@ Alex

where is this news you talked about that was under NDA ?????
Closed Thread