Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | The Chronicles of Rishi

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > General Discussion > Current Affairs
Register FAQ Community Calendar

The Chronicles of Rishi
Closed Thread

Old 27-09-2023, 09:26   #1036
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: The Chronicles of Rishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Your true colours exposed. Scarlet red with notes of virtue signalling jealousy. There’s wealth as a relative measure and wealth at an extreme. The lower end of wealth is undefined except by the IHT threshold on which the shitty government preys.

This is a very childish retort. I have no need to be jealous, I am more than comfortable in terms of my personal wealth. However, you seem to regard those who clearly have accrued disproportionate amounts of (mostly unearned) wealth as somehow immune from contributing at the same level as the rest of us. This either means you are one of them or you have an irrational need to shill on their behalf.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:10   #1037
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
This is a very childish retort. I have no need to be jealous, I am more than comfortable in terms of my personal wealth. However, you seem to regard those who clearly have accrued disproportionate amounts of (mostly unearned) wealth as somehow immune from contributing at the same level as the rest of us. This either means you are one of them or you have an irrational need to shill on their behalf.

I draw the distinction between people dragged into "wealth" by fiscal drag and the mega-wealthy. Btw, I don't think we should overtax the mega-wealthy lest we drive them away, taking their investment with them.

It's a complicated matter, but at the heart of it is the lack of economic growth in the UK and thus a (shitty) government scrabbling for treasury income.

I'm certain about the politics of envy - the have-nots versus the have-so-much. But the people at the bottom of the "wealth" tree are not the have-so-much people. IHT is an unfair blunt instrument.

We both crave good government but, alas, the present bunch of lying toad politicians are not going to deliver economic growth.

My advice is at your risk.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:33   #1038
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:

I'm certain about the politics of envy -
Are you though? Because that phrase is routinely misused so as to make it seem those who argue for fairer taxes think the revenue might be used to provide them with the same yachts, holidays in St Tropez and Range Rover Velars as the very comfortably off enjoy. When in fact, what we typically think is that those who have benefited from getting rich in the UK should pay a reasonable amount towards keeping the UK working. You know, things like making sure hospitals don’t have 8-hour ambulance queues outside them, or schools whose roofs aren’t falling in. Maybe even a modern rail line that extends more than 100 miles from the capital.
Old 27-09-2023, 11:51   #1039
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Are you though? Because that phrase is routinely misused so as to make it seem those who argue for fairer taxes think the revenue might be used to provide them with the same yachts, holidays in St Tropez and Range Rover Velars as the very comfortably off enjoy. When in fact, what we typically think is that those who have benefited from getting rich in the UK should pay a reasonable amount towards keeping the UK working. You know, things like making sure hospitals don’t have 8-hour ambulance queues outside them, or schools whose roofs aren’t falling in. Maybe even a modern rail line that extends more than 100 miles from the capital.
Well, yes. IHT is not the mechanism for achieving this.

The term "politics of envy" is no less fuzzy than the term "wealth". Yet we all use those terms.

Old 27-09-2023, 11:56   #1040
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array

Quote:
Well, yes. IHT is not the mechanism for achieving this.

The term "politics of envy" is no less fuzzy than the term "wealth". Yet we all use those terms.
IHT is definitely one of the required tools albeit with some fine tuning to raise thresholds and remove avoidance loopholes.

The term "wealth" is a objective fact whereas "politics of envy" is a lazy trope used to deflect from grown up discussions on fairer levels of societal contribution
Old 27-09-2023, 12:06   #1041
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianch99 View Post
IHT is definitely one of the required tools albeit with some fine tuning to raise thresholds and remove avoidance loopholes.

The term "wealth" is a objective fact whereas "politics of envy" is a lazy trope used to deflect from grown up discussions on fairer levels of societal contribution
No. "Wealth" is fuzzy and wholly relative. A leftie would say what you did.

"Politics of envy" is very clear - you have one I don't; I want one and which political party is going to give me one?

Old 27-09-2023, 12:13   #1042
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura

Quote:
No. "Wealth" is fuzzy and wholly relative. A leftie would say what you did.

"Politics of envy" is very clear - you have one I don't; I want one and which political party is going to give me one?
One of what, though? Are you mindlessly sticking to the lazy smear that the have-nots ‘want’ yachts, fancy holidays and Range Rovers and that this is what the business of raising taxes is about?
Old 27-09-2023, 16:30   #1043
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
One of what, though? Are you mindlessly sticking to the lazy smear that the have-nots ‘want’ yachts, fancy holidays and Range Rovers and that this is what the business of raising taxes is about?
I'm surprised that you, of all people have said the above, bringing in superlatives such as 'yachts'.

Surely you know that "I want one" includes for the have-nots "if I can't have one, then at least tax the bustards".

It's akin to VAT on private schools; watch that backfire.

Old 27-09-2023, 17:44   #1044
Ms NTL
cf.geek

Ms NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of societyMs NTL is a pillar of society

There is the 7 year rule. You can dispose everything, except the house you live in.

If you pass that on, then you need to pay rent to your off springs/beneficiaries.
Old 27-09-2023, 17:44   #1045
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Quote:
I'm surprised that you, of all people have said the above, bringing in superlatives such as 'yachts'.

Surely you know that "I want one" includes for the have-nots "if I can't have one, then at least tax the bustards".

I know no such thing - all you’ve done is throw in another lazy trope. Nobody’s talking about rinsing rich people so they’re not rich any more. And VAT on school fees is the very least they should be doing. Without clear and specific evidence of charitable purpose, private schools should be losing their charity registrations as well. No organisation charging customers £30 a year for its services is a charity unless it can explicitly prove otherwise. And that proof needs to be much more convincing than a small handful of bursaries for carefully-screened individuals.

Built-in tax dodges for those with the least reason to be dodging tax in the first place have got to stop.
Old 27-09-2023, 17:54   #1046
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Quote:
I know no such thing - all you’ve done is throw in another lazy trope. Nobody’s talking about rinsing rich people so they’re not rich any more. And VAT on school fees is the very least they should be doing. Without clear and specific evidence of charitable purpose, private schools should be losing their charity registrations as well. No organisation charging customers £30 a year for its services is a charity unless it can explicitly prove otherwise. And that proof needs to be much more convincing than a small handful of bursaries for carefully-screened individuals.

Built-in tax dodges for those with the least reason to be dodging tax in the first place have got to stop.
Wrong. IHT does not rinse rich people. It rinses will beneficiaries at the lowest end of the IHT wealth scale. Once again it's the ordinary folk who pay through government taxation by stealth.

Why are the detractors of my view not making the distinction between rich and ordinary?

Old 27-09-2023, 18:32   #1047
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Those ordinary folk in line to inherit the best part of a million pounds. Wait there while I get the world’s smallest violin.
Old 27-09-2023, 18:48   #1048
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star

If you're worried about IHT, just give the money away, as long as you survive 7 years , job done. It isn't a hard tax to get round so I don't know why the toffs are moaning.
Old 27-09-2023, 19:04   #1049
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
If you're worried about IHT, just give the money away, as long as you survive 7 years , job done. It isn't a hard tax to get round so I don't know why the toffs are moaning.
They’re moaning that 7 years ago they didn’t anticipate the housing bubble to keep going.
Old 28-09-2023, 08:38   #1050
ianch99
cf.mega poster

Quote:
There has been/will be a lot whinging from the small number of people affected by this but let's face it, they have had a free ride here for so long. The tax free train is coming to a stop on this one.

In the "free market" paradise many of these people adhere to, there is no subsidy if you choose to not use the default, free option. In fact, the funny thing about this is that these are the very same people have meekly accepted the large increases of private school fees in the past:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a7023056.html

Quote:
Over the past 25 years private school fees have risen by 550 per cent. But consumer prices in that time are up only 200 per cent
I did not hear them whinging then ...

Quote:

Please can we have more Chris's on this forum

Quote:
Wrong. IHT does not rinse rich people. It rinses will beneficiaries at the lowest end of the IHT wealth scale. Once again it's the ordinary folk who pay through government taxation by stealth.

Why are the detractors of my view not making the distinction between rich and ordinary?
Please define "ordinary" for the basis of this discussion