Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2020, 08:38   #8146
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
First. We agree that streaming services have not killed off the TV channels. Yet. I have never suggested that this change will happen immediately. So why do you think this is significant?

The point I am making is that there will come a tipping point. We have not reached it yet, but give it another 5 years, and you will be ignorant or a flat earther not to notice a sea change in viewer habits.

Your scenario of one channel left...what if no-one even bothers with this mode of transmission anymore? This is a concept you seem to be unable to grasp. If you take your blinkers off, you will start to understand that people will migrate to where the best content is. People will follow the herd. But I know you have a problem with all things ‘herd’!
Yet they still watch ‘live’ linear despite every Virgin and Sky customer having a recorder.

It’s not blinkers, it’s objective reality. Just because you think a technology is better, or in fact even if a technology is better, doesn’t mean the mass market will adopt it as much as you think it could, would or should.

Broadband doesn’t have 100% market penetration. Mobile phones don’t have 100% market penetration. Cable television in the early days didn’t reach 100% penetration in cabled areas when it was literally free with a phone line that was cheaper than BT. Pay-tv doesn’t have 100% market penetration.

You’ve moved the argument twice in a single post - first to viewing habits changing - nobody has ever denied this. Second - people will follow content - again nobody has denied this.

The point you still remain unable to answer is why a company wouldn’t maintain a live, linear presence in addition to streaming.

https://www.tvbeurope.com/media-deli...g-to-go-linear

“Deep pockets” Amazon are even exploring linear!
Advertisement
Old 03-10-2020, 10:59   #8147
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
It is true that there would have been a saving from not having to fill the schedules with all that pathetic filler content. What wasn’t filler was put onto BBC3 Online.

Your analogy is off the wall. BBC3 is returning as a conventional channel because it was far too early to close it down. In good time, all the Beeb’s channels will close down together and the content made available on a streamer.
Without linear channels there is nothing to justify the license fee
Old 03-10-2020, 12:59   #8148
cheekyangus
cf.mega poster

cheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quadscheekyangus has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Without linear channels there is nothing to justify the license fee
The License Fee is primarily paying for content. How it's delivered is irrelevant, other than that it is widely available.
Old 03-10-2020, 13:05   #8149
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
The License Fee is primarily paying for content. How it's delivered is irrelevant, other than that it is widely available.
That may be technically true. However, the minute the BBC ceases to be universally available and becomes ‘opt in’, through an app or sign in service, the licence fee is politically untenable.
Old 03-10-2020, 20:43   #8150
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
That may be technically true. However, the minute the BBC ceases to be universally available and becomes ‘opt in’, through an app or sign in service, the licence fee is politically untenable.
Spot on.
Old 03-10-2020, 23:06   #8151
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheekyangus View Post
No that is wrong - the license fee is payable if you are able to receive transmissions - content has nothing to do with it.
Old 04-10-2020, 01:35   #8152
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
No that is wrong - the license fee is payable if you are able to receive transmissions - content has nothing to do with it.
we should treasure the bbc otherwise we'll become like the USA with its news service being either massively left or right wing. you have to ask why do the likes of murdoch hate the bbc so much?

But i have no desire for anyone to reply to me and argue my own personal opinion to be honest so ill leave it at that.

Do we have any news on then peacock is launching in the UK? Will that be another squeeze on content already available on amazon/netflix?
Old 04-10-2020, 02:48   #8153
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Services: Giganet broadband 1gbs, netflix, Peacock,HBOMAX, kodi
Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
we should treasure the bbc otherwise we'll become like the USA with its news service being either massively left or right wing. you have to ask why do the likes of murdoch hate the bbc so much?

But i have no desire for anyone to reply to me and argue my own personal opinion to be honest so ill leave it at that.

Do we have any news on then peacock is launching in the UK? Will that be another squeeze on content already available on amazon/netflix?
Peacock isn't launching in the UK as of yet, all original Peacock content will be on SKY.
Reminds me i have a fun 250 page document to get through when i get into work on Monday morning it is titled UHD VM *shrugs* will give more info once i've read it.
Old 04-10-2020, 22:48   #8154
vincerooney
cf.mega poster

Services: XL TV XL Phone XL 100MB broadband TiVo Cat
vincerooney has reached the bronze age
vincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze agevincerooney has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Peacock isn't launching in the UK as of yet, all original Peacock content will be on SKY.
Reminds me i have a fun 250 page document to get through when i get into work on Monday morning it is titled UHD VM *shrugs* will give more info once i've read it.
Enjoy the read! i'm off work for the week for my birthday...considering i'll be doing sod all because of covid in my area i'll take any scraps of info
Old 05-10-2020, 13:35   #8155
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Legendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of QuadsLegendkiller2k has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincerooney View Post
Enjoy the read! i'm off work for the week for my birthday...considering i'll be doing sod all because of covid in my area i'll take any scraps of info
Not really much in that document just mostly goes on about prime uhd and Netflix uhd, also Shudder might be appearing as a app on vm and SKY, shudder isn't uhd btw it's a horror service from AMC,
Document mentions that AMC may leave BTTV in 2021 too they're not happy with the viewing figures plans to bring AMC+ to the UK.
Peacock confirms what i said most original contract will be on Comcast uk services aks SKY.
Old 05-10-2020, 14:19   #8156
Phunkenstein
cf.addict

Phunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the roughPhunkenstein is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k View Post
Not really much in that document just mostly goes on about prime uhd and Netflix uhd, also Shudder might be appearing as a app on vm and SKY, shudder isn't uhd btw it's a horror service from AMC,
Document mentions that AMC may leave BTTV in 2021 too they're not happy with the viewing figures plans to bring AMC+ to the UK.
Peacock confirms what i said most original contract will be on Comcast uk services aks SKY.
Very interesting about Shudder coming to Sky and VM - I’m an occasional subscriber and they are building up a really solid portfolio of exclusive and original shows & movies... getting it onto pay tv platforms could be a real boost to them.

And I wondered whether AMC would consider going D2C here following the launch of AMC+ in the US... I cannot imagine they are happy with the BT reach and with plans to expand Walking Dead after the original series ends, I would think they would want to exploit that content themselves rather than selling rights to Amazon like they have done with World Beyond. AMC own Shudder, Acorn TV and Sundance Now so curious if any potential version of AMC+ would house other brands like the US version does.

Last edited by Phunkenstein; 05-10-2020 at 14:22.
Old 05-10-2020, 16:28   #8157
Legendkiller2k
cf.mega poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
Very interesting about Shudder coming to Sky and VM - I’m an occasional subscriber and they are building up a really solid portfolio of exclusive and original shows & movies... getting it onto pay tv platforms could be a real boost to them.

And I wondered whether AMC would consider going D2C here following the launch of AMC+ in the US... I cannot imagine they are happy with the BT reach and with plans to expand Walking Dead after the original series ends, I would think they would want to exploit that content themselves rather than selling rights to Amazon like they have done with World Beyond. AMC own Shudder, Acorn TV and Sundance Now so curious if any potential version of AMC+ would house other brands like the US version does.
Good call on the AMC+ hosting other AMC brands, Sundance now is another superb service some great indie movies on it too.
Old 06-10-2020, 13:22   #8158
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

BT to offer 6-month free subscription to Britbox.

https://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2020...eid=3598503789

Quote:
New and existing BT Broadband and BT TV customers are to be offered a six month subscription to Britbox.
Quote:
After the initial six-month period ends, customers can choose to continue paying for BritBox at £5.99/month directly through their BT bill.
Old 06-10-2020, 14:26   #8159
ozsat
cf.mega poster

Services: 1.2Gb/100Mb, VMTV (UHD), Freesat HD, Freeview HD, SkyQ (UHD), BTtv (UHD), DAB+
ozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful oneozsat is the helpful one

You have to subscribe via BT - so no doubt it is going to screw up the BT billing system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
BT to offer 6-month free subscription to Britbox.

Last edited by ozsat; 06-10-2020 at 14:32.
Old 06-10-2020, 14:54   #8160
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsat View Post
You have to subscribe via BT - so no doubt it is going to screw up the BT billing system.
People like fewer bills to keep track of so I can see why they're doing it.
Closed Thread