Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Netflix/Streaming Services

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media TV Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Netflix/Streaming Services
Closed Thread

Old 24-04-2014, 19:49   #526
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2014/...th-tivo-in-us/

Nice to get something before the States!

In its first quarter earnings report Netflix said it plans to integrate its service with TiVo set-tops in the US, starting this quarter.

---------- Post added at 19:49 ---------- Previous post was at 19:43 ----------

There's good news for VM's trust in the TIVO box as well.

http://rapidtvnews.com/index.php/201...1-bn-mark.html

The introduction of personalised TV from the TiVo Service has led to a huge 14% spike in Virgin Media’s on demand video views to breach the billion barrier in what has been a highly profitable 2011 for the cable MSO.

The company had predicted its customers’ growing desire for TV on demand would drive a significant increase in the number of programmes watched at a time that suits them and the company confirmed that its customers sat down to watch on-demand services for a combined total of approximately 490 million hours.

The Virgin Media TiVo Service, packaged with either 500 GBytes or 1 TByte of recording capacity, was launched in 2011 and combines a live TV schedule with on demand as well as a dedicated internet connection that delivers programming and interactive apps designed to build engagement and consumer excitement around films such as Harry Potter and shows like True Blood. The service also features an intelligent recommendations engine which learns to predict and suggest shows that a household will like.

TiVo digital video subscribers were up by 273,000 in the quarter to 31 December 2011, to total 435,000, around 12% of its total TV customer base. This represented a triumph for an aggressive marketing campaign and contributed to a great year for Virgin Media overall who reported full-year net profit of £75.9 million on the back of revenue of £3.992 billion.

Can anyone doubt now that streaming services will ultimately replace linear channels?
Advertisement
Old 24-04-2014, 19:54   #527
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

Linear channels will always survive in my opinion.
Old 24-04-2014, 21:28   #528
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze age
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

I've be messing around with a raspberry pi today running Netflix, Hulu and bein sports on the XMBC system.
It worked well and as Raspberry pi is very small it would be a good way for people to use streaming services without any pc or box connected to their tv.
Old 24-04-2014, 23:42   #529
Mad Max
cf.mega poster

Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array
Mad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze arrayMad Max has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone2k10 View Post
I've be messing around with a raspberry pi today running Netflix, Hulu and bein sports on the XMBC system.
It worked well and as Raspberry pi is very small it would be a good way for people to use streaming services without any pc or box connected to their tv.
Ok, but mate, really! Most ppl don't want to be fannying around with all those different pieces of kit to get decent TV shows, we just want it on our TV, through our TV supplier for a decent price, It's just getting silly now!
Old 24-04-2014, 23:49   #530
theone2k10
Inactive

Services: Plusnet 40mb unlimited fibre, roku, Verizon, netflix, nowtv, hbogo, hulu, SKY+HD box sets pack
theone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze agetheone2k10 has reached the bronze age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
Ok, but mate, really! Most ppl don't want to be fannying around with all those different pieces of kit to get decent TV shows, we just want it on our TV, through our TV supplier for a decent price, It's just getting silly now!
It's a tiny thing that you can easily hide if need be mate, best of all it only costs £40 which is much cheaper than most devices.
I strongly believe Streaming tv is the way forward, linar channels will stay but the networks really need to up their game as straming services grow more popular.
Old 25-04-2014, 12:52   #531
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
Linear channels will always survive in my opinion.
Some of them probably will Den, but why would people want to continue to watch programmes at times ordained by others and disrupted with adverts every 10 minutes or so? I think as the younger generation matures and sets the pace, things will start to change rapidly. We are only tied to linear channels through old habits dying hard. It really is an inefficient, time wasting means of accessing your programmes, with plenty of dross between the programmes that you really want to watch.

Why go through all those channels to see which one carries the programme you are looking for? Why not just go straight to the programme? What actually is the case for linear TV channels bearing in mind the alternatives that are now available?

Live programmes are still capable of being accessible at the time of the event through streaming, and so I really don't see the point. Can someone enlighten me please, as I must be missing something.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:07   #532
mike_gain
Inactive

mike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to beholdmike_gain is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It's a tiny thing that you can easily hide if need be mate, best of all it only costs £40 which is much cheaper than most devices.
I strongly believe Streaming tv is the way forward, linar channels will stay but the networks really need to up their game as straming services grow more popular.
You've been ripped off. £40 is around double what you should expect to pay for a pi.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:08   #533
Chad
cf.mega poster

Services: SKY Family, SKY Broadband Unlimited, YouView, Netflix, Amazon Instant Video, Boxnation
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star
Chad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny starChad has a nice shiny star

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Some of them probably will Den, but why would people want to continue to watch programmes at times ordained by others and disrupted with adverts every 10 minutes or so? I think as the younger generation matures and sets the pace, things will start to change rapidly. We are only tied to linear channels through old habits dying hard. It really is an inefficient, time wasting means of accessing your programmes, with plenty of dross between the programmes that you really want to watch.

Why go through all those channels to see which one carries the programme you are looking for? Why not just go straight to the programme? What actually is the case for linear TV channels bearing in mind the alternatives that are now available?

Live programmes are still capable of being accessible at the time of the event through streaming, and so I really don't see the point. Can someone enlighten me please, as I must be missing something.
According to recent figures published by Freeview, 11 million homes in the UK use Freeview as their main TV service at home. That's 11 million homes who are not prepared to pay over and above their TV license fee for TV content. 11 million homes who don't currently need a Smart TV, internet connection or phone line to access their favorite programs. If on demand TV is going to truly going to kill linear TV, there needs to be a way for it to be delivered to households for free without the need of a broadband subscription.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:11   #534
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
According to recent figures published by Freeview, 11 million homes in the UK use Freeview as their main TV service at home. That's 11 million homes who are not prepared to pay over and above their TV license fee for TV content. 11 million homes who don't currently need a Smart TV, internet connection or phone line to access their favorite programs. If on demand TV is going to truly going to kill linear TV, there needs to be a way for it to be delivered to households for free without the need of a broadband subscription.
I think that before too long (not before broadband is available throughout the country), broadband will be as extensively used as telephones are now. I agree that until that happens, linear channels will continue to be necessary.
Old 25-04-2014, 13:16   #535
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
You've been ripped off. £40 is around double what you should expect to pay for a pi.
That was including my usb stick and hdmi lead, i should of mentioned that lol.[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 13:16 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------
Old 25-04-2014, 13:29   #536
Joedm45
cf.geek

Joedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of QuadsJoedm45 has a fine set of Quads

Quote:
I might give this a try too, only used my Pi as a DLNA device before I got a smart TV so haven't used it since. I'll give it another go as I think it's a great little device

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_gain View Post
Depends what accessories you have already, a bare PCB is still around £30 but you still need a case, power supply, HDMI Lead, SD card, keyboard, mouse, wifi dongle if not near your hub/switch. Most of these things can be found around your home but can all add to the cost
Old 25-04-2014, 13:34   #537
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
I'd imagine some of those 11 million access Freeview on smart TVs with catch up facilities or via Freeview + STB's some of which also offer catch up services without a subscription , whilst I still agree the bulk of their watching will still be linear I'm sure many still use On Demand also.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:03   #538
muppetman11
cf.mega poster

muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars
muppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny starsmuppetman11 has a pair of shiny stars

It appears Hulu are now trying to stop viewers outside the US viewing its content.
Old 26-04-2014, 09:24   #539
denphone
Still alive and fighting

Services: XL BB, 3 360 boxes , XL TV.
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura
denphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden auradenphone has a golden aura

And one suspects the others will quickly follow.
Old 26-04-2014, 11:22   #540
theone2k10
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
It appears Hulu are now trying to stop viewers outside the US viewing its content.
If that was regarding unblock-us that was because there was a problem at unblocks end that's all.
It's been sorted out now, i had the issue Wednesday night i tried a couple of other smart dns services and they worked perfectly. I've personally gone back to unotell, too many faults happening lately with unblock.

---------- Post added at 11:22 ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
And one suspects the others will quickly follow.
Abc family already have by making you log into your cable provider first.
People will just get the content via alternative methods, even on hulu you need to log into your cable provider to watch ABC family content but that's the only one. CBS,Nikleodeon,FOX,NBC,E+E amongst others have all said they will not be following ABC Familys suite.
Closed Thread