Home News Forum Articles
  Welcome back Join CF
You are here You are here: Home | Forum | Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most of the discussions, articles and other free features. By joining our Virgin Media community you will have full access to all discussions, be able to view and post threads, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own images/photos, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please join our community today.

Welcome to Cable Forum
Go Back   Cable Forum > Virgin Media Services > Virgin Media Internet Service
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]
View Poll Results: Will you be opting out of the Virgin Ad Deal?
Yes, Definitely. 958 95.51%
No, I am quite happy to share my surfing habits with anyone. 45 4.49%
Voters: 1003. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 23-04-2008, 19:53   #4606
Hank

Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by popper View Post
thats obviously just a stock answer by an aid , its clear they dont understand the points raised as can be sumised by the reference to OTELO.
<snip>

obfuscateing the senders email in this case means we cant follow up and explain it and all the points raised in detail to them.

perhaps next time you write any letters in reply, you make sure you include the fact you will be publishing it in full on the cable forum unless asked not to, to make it clear we require direct meaningful answers to the question's put.
Thanks - I did not tell them I would post it here, but I will now. I have used your wording and asked for a more meaningful answer... Let's see what we get - maybe they will allow me to post the reply in full as I have said I will...

Hank

Advertisement
Old 23-04-2008, 19:56   #4607
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Jones View Post
I've forwarded the FIPR links to technology correspondents Charles Arthur of the Guardian (direct email) and Rory Cellan-Jones of the BBC via the BBC news site feedback page - might as well get mainstream as quickly as possible.

charles always worrys me though,and its not "assumption" as he puts it, his actions or rather lack of actions other than trying to keep up with chris at ElReg by rehashing old Phorm links etc, dont match up with this recent comments.

his opportune putdown of kurt at the PIA not withstanding OC, but he doesnt seem to be trying to hard in this must important issue for some reason.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...eed=technology
"Some blogger'
Except not quite. On a ZDNet discussion, one commenter said:
"Isn't it interesting that it is some blogger that actually engages in true investigative journalism. The big news houses like ZDNet, ComputerWorld, etc. simply re-printed press releases. Methinks the small mammals are going to outlive the aging, soon to be extinct dinosaurs."

"Some blogger"? Jings.

It's nice to have the situation so perfectly described in reverse. OK, so I pointed out Psystar's bizarre changes of address on a blog, but it's still the Guardian's blog, not my back room. (Not that there was a press release, either; only a few lines on Mac Rumors, and the Psystar website itself.)

It's a worrying trend, though, this assumption that newspapers can't and won't do "real journalism" (what one could describe as "finding out something readers don't yet know").

To be honest, the reverse is true. Most non-journalist bloggers don't have the time or inclination to imagine the necessary mischief required to do journalism day in, day out. Because non-routine journalism is about finding, or causing, trouble.
"
Old 23-04-2008, 19:59   #4608
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWH View Post
Evening,
As mentioned previously, Virgin media keep saying 'nothing has been decided'. However, within the last couple of days, Lynn Millar CFO of Phorm has been quoted as saying:
“Our three ISP partners have strongly reassured us that they are in
no way reconsidering their decision to deploy or are in any way reducing
their level of commitment to the project”

Someone somewhere isn't being totally honest; now why doesn't that surprise me!

Colin
I have raised this and other discrepancies with the FSA both by e-mail and by letter, especially considering that Neil Berkett's office has assured me that any implementation of Phorm is not a foregone conclusion.

I will be interested to see what the FSA have to say about Lynne Millar's comments.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:20   #4609
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Thanks - I did not tell them I would post it here, but I will now. I have used your wording and asked for a more meaningful answer... Let's see what we get - maybe they will allow me to post the reply in full as I have said I will...

Hank
before you do publish assuming he doesnt stop you , just mung the email address so its human readable but not bot pullable, we dont want them spamed with non ISP/Phorm questions now do we

---------- Post added at 20:20 ---------- Previous post was at 20:03 ----------

heres one everyone seemed to miss
http://commentisfree.guardian.co.uk/..._hang_out.html
Letting it all hang out

A host of details about our personal lives are available on the net - but more often than not we are willing victims of this privacy invasion
Old 23-04-2008, 20:20   #4610
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Just read the FIPR document. It's dynamite!
Old 23-04-2008, 20:21   #4611
Portly_Giraffe
Inactive

Portly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the roughPortly_Giraffe is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
(quoted from Attorney General Office's email response) "The Attorney General is principal legal advisor to government and as such is unable to offer legal aid or assistance to individuals, this office does not perform a investigatory function and in regards to your request we are unable to assist."
In which case I wonder how the previous Attorney General was in a position to call off the Serious Fraud Office's investigation into bribery and corruption after evidence emerged that payments totalling £1bn over more than a decade had been made by BAE to Prince Bandar in the £43bn Al Yamamah arms deal.

They claim they are the Government's legal advisors, so what are they going to do about it? I will have a think about this, but I don't think they can let themselves off the hook quite so easily.
Old 23-04-2008, 20:54   #4612
bigbadcol
Inactive

bigbadcol is on a distinguished roadbigbadcol is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrunner69 View Post
And don't forget bettypoos.
If she read the report would she be living up to her name

The report made my day.

---------- Post added at 20:54 ---------- Previous post was at 20:37 ----------

Just a thought.

If the phorm system is found to be illegal.

Then can the ISP's be charged with the intent to commit a criminal act., just by having the PHORM kit installed.?

If that is the case then all 3 ISP's can be charged and brought to book on this matter.
Old 23-04-2008, 21:01   #4613
popper
Inactive

i dont know how i missed this direct letter to Jacqui
http://www.fipr.org/080423holetter.pdf
FOUNDATION FOR INFORMATION POLICY RESEARCH
The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith PC MP
Home Office
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DF 23rd April 2008

Dear Secretary of State,

The Phorm “Webwise” System
Interception of Communications
Old 23-04-2008, 21:04   #4614
jelv
Inactive

jelv is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsanta11 View Post
It seems Mr Ertugrul has finally came round to our side of thinking,as he's signed the downing street online petition.

petitions.pm.gov.uk
What brainless idiot did this? You might find it amusing, but it totally undermines the validity of the petition. You might just as well have signed it Micky Mouse or Donald Duck.

If I had known that it would be corrupted like this I'd have had second thoughts about signing it myself!
Old 23-04-2008, 21:11   #4615
Kursk
-.- ..- .-. ... -.-

Kursk has disabled reputation

http://www.fipr.org/080423phormlegal.pdf

Oh dear. Oh deary, deary me. Now we're smokin'...
Old 23-04-2008, 21:14   #4616
AlexanderHanff
Permanently Banned

AlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful oneAlexanderHanff is the helpful one

What's this, FIPR confirming my own legal analysis of Phorm which was written weeks ago??? Shock! Horror! Someone fetch Zorro!

Evening all

Haven't finished reading FIPR document yet but I am digesting it as we speak. None of it is news for me as I already reached the same conclusions some time ago, but it is nice to see FIPR taking on the HO again and of course releasing the document to the public.

Alexander Hanff
Old 23-04-2008, 21:16   #4617
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

CaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enoughCaptJamieHunter will become famous soon enough
Talking Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
FOUNDATION FOR INFORMATION POLICY RESEARCH
The Rt Hon Jacqui Smith PC MP

PC? Politically Correct?

What a concise and beautiful piece of backside kicking.
Old 23-04-2008, 21:17   #4618
dav
Inactive

dav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of lightdav is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
<snip>
Another stick of dynamite!

I'm enjoying my light reading tonight.
Old 23-04-2008, 21:21   #4619
mark777
Inactive

Services: 0.4 Mbps BB + Phone
mark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of lightmark777 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJamieHunter View Post
[/LEFT]

PC? Politically Correct?

What a concise and beautiful piece of backside kicking.
The "Rt Hon" indicates Privy Council, don't know if they also get letters after the name though.
Old 23-04-2008, 21:25   #4620
CaptJamieHunter
Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark777 View Post
The "Rt Hon" indicates Privy Council, don't know if they also get letters after the name though.
*slaps forehead* Yes, that will be it. Thanks for reminding me. Lack of tea since coming back to the hangar.

*goes and puts the kettle on*
Closed Thread